PDA

View Full Version : Second Occupy Camp in London established-Update 28 February: police and baliffs dismantlle the camp after court order

Captain Con O'Sullivan
22-10-2011, 09:26 PM
A detachment from the St Pauls Occupy protest in London have successfully established a second camp at Finsbury Square in the Moorgate area of London. I had hoped this might happen as the most successful way around the ability of private security people to obtain court orders evicting protestors prevents places like Paternoster Square being used.

'A second Occupy London protest camp has sprung up in a sign that campaigners are spreading from St Paul's Cathedral to locations across the capital.

A group of protesters with placards marched from St Paul's to the new site, where up to 30 tents had been discreetly pitched earlier.

Within minutes, supporters of Occupy London had called a "general assembly" at the site in Finsbury Square, Moorgate, and declared that the square was a second occupation after the cathedral.'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/oct/22/second-occupy-london-finsbury-square

My own thoughts having been down to St Pauls at the establishment of that Occupation were prompted by an old nursery rhyme I learned as a child in school in London that would not leave my head this week when I thought of the way that police had corralled the protest at St Pauls- and I will be down at both camps tomorrow suggesting that it might be useful to 'remember, remember' that London nursery rhyme;

In fact- I mught photocopy this and hand it around to as many organisers as I can find.

'Oranges and lemons,
Say the bells of St. Clement's.

You owe me five farthings,
Say the bells of St. Martin's.

When will you pay me?
Say the bells of Old Bailey.

When I grow rich,
Say the bells of Shoreditch.

When will that be?
Say the bells of Stepney.

I do not know,
Says the great bell of Bow.

Here comes a candle to light you to bed,
And here comes a chopper to chop off your head!'

Hmm. There might even be some advantage in looking up the old 'liberties' and 'sanctuary' byelaws that Mr Fawkes would have been familiar with. Then maybe I could round off my photocopy with my favourite quote ... 'Those who do not know the past face an uncertain future'.

Spectabilis
22-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Interestingly the NYT had a piece on somethng similar this week, which may be of interest. It seems the Zucotti Park occupation is forcing a rethink on how private/public spaces are used.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/20/opinion/zuccotti-park-and-the-private-plaza-problem.html

fluffybiscuits
24-10-2011, 11:58 AM
Fairplay to the bishop letting them camp out. As this movement grows and we see more and more of it its going to be exponential. Areas where there is no camp now in two or three weeks will have one.

Thankfully the cops have stayed quiet too ...

C. Flower
24-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Dame Street is said to be at standing room only too, and looking for another spot.

C. Flower
24-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Is this another property bubble starting up ? :eek:

fluffybiscuits
24-10-2011, 01:11 PM
Stephens Green is a likely option....

C. Flower
24-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Stephens Green is a likely option....

All the best addresses.

Baron von Biffo
24-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Dame Street is said to be at standing room only too, and looking for another spot.

Loads of room on the Curragh. ;)

fluffybiscuits
24-10-2011, 03:13 PM
All the best addresses.

Sydney Parade? :D

Captain Con O'Sullivan
24-10-2011, 07:29 PM
Loads of room on the Curragh. ;)

Thats earmarked for a detention camp for corrupt civil servants.

fluffybiscuits
24-10-2011, 09:57 PM
or presidental candidates....

Captain Con O'Sullivan
25-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Sometimes one and the same thing. All 'servants of the people' I'm sure ...

PaddyJoe
28-02-2012, 01:33 AM
#occupylondon camp being cleared tonight by police and balifffs:

01.00 Good morning and welcome to our coverage of the eviction of the Occupy camp outside St Paul's Cathedral. More than 40 bailiffs arrived to dismantle the controversial site at approximately 12.30am today. The removal of “tents and equipment” comes after protesters lost their court battle last month to continue their campaign against corporate greed.
A statement from the City of London Corporation said: “City of London Corporation today began to enforce removal of tents and equipment. We regret its come to this.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9110221/Occupy-London-eviction-live-coverage.html