PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Independence - Majority Support it in the UK

C. Flower
16-10-2011, 06:52 AM
The majority of people both in Scotland and the rest of the U.K. support national independence for Scotland.

The SNP has promised an independence referendum within the next five years.

n the UK overall, 39% of those surveyed agreed that Scotland should be an independent country – an increase of six points since May.

The number disagreeing with the statement had fallen four points to 38%.

In Scotland, the proportion supporting independence was up 11 points over the period at 49%.

Some 37% disagreed – down by nine points.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/majority-back-scottish-independence-says-poll-524560.html#ixzz1avPqaRbj

Dr. FIVE
16-10-2011, 08:08 AM
I took part in an online poll last night. I am neither Scot, Tory or UK resident but that didn't stop me ticking those boxes for the cráic.

C. Flower
16-10-2011, 09:54 AM
I took part in an online poll last night. I am neither Scot, Tory or UK resident but that didn't stop me ticking those boxes for the cráic.

Fair point: I have no idea how they run them. If it is to email accounts associated with U.K. addresses, would that be any different to any other kind of polling ? All allow for a margin of error.

fluffybiscuits
16-10-2011, 11:05 AM
The majority of people both in Scotland and the rest of the U.K. support national independence for Scotland.

The SNP has promised an independence referendum within the next five years.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/majority-back-scottish-independence-says-poll-524560.html#ixzz1avPqaRbj

I think its more of a desire to become independent as they know with the gas reserves they have among other things the financial sway to be independent and not be subject to UK laws. There is a great mindset within Scotland that seems themselves as vert distinct from the English and the indepdence would be a further extension of this. I hope it works out for them and funnily enough it could be a model that the NI'ers could use to look at how Protestant and Catholics live together ?...

morticia
16-10-2011, 07:34 PM
I think its more of a desire to become independent as they know with the gas reserves they have among other things the financial sway to be independent and not be subject to UK laws. There is a great mindset within Scotland that seems themselves as vert distinct from the English and the indepdence would be a further extension of this. I hope it works out for them and funnily enough it could be a model that the NI'ers could use to look at how Protestant and Catholics live together ?...

Dunno about the last bit, they've a fair few sectarian problems themselves. But yes, independence is likely, and where that leaves NI is an interesting question

fluffybiscuits
16-10-2011, 08:42 PM
Dunno about the last bit, they've a fair few sectarian problems themselves. But yes, independence is likely, and where that leaves NI is an interesting question

They havent had as many of the problems and are moving faster than NI are! Wonder what we could learn from them if they do become independent.!