PDA

View Full Version : Nobel Physics 2011

Starfire
04-10-2011, 08:09 PM
BERKELEY, CA -- Saul Perlmutter, an astrophysicist at the U.S. Department of Energy's Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and a professor of physics at the University of California at Berkeley, has won the 2011 Nobel Prize in Physics “for the discovery of the accelerating expansion of the universe through observations of distant supernovae.” Perlmutter heads the international Supernova Cosmology Project, which pioneered the methods used to discover the accelerating expansion of the universe, and he has been a leader in studies to determine the nature of dark energy.

TotalMayhem
04-10-2011, 08:10 PM
Anyone checked if all the winners are still breathing? :D

concernedparent
04-10-2011, 08:51 PM
BERKELEY, CA -- Saul Perlmutter, an astrophysicist at the U.S. Department of Energy's Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and a professor of physics at the University of California at Berkeley, has won the 2011 Nobel Prize in Physics “for the discovery of the accelerating expansion of the universe through observations of distant supernovae.” Perlmutter heads the international Supernova Cosmology Project, which pioneered the methods used to discover the accelerating expansion of the universe, and he has been a leader in studies to determine the nature of dark energy.

Um I know I wont win any awards for Mastermind but will this go anyway to explaining where the missing sock goes in the wash.:D

Griska
04-10-2011, 08:52 PM
Anyone checked if all the winners are still breathing? :D

:D:D:D
It's not, repeat not remotely funny that the winner who died, was awarded the prize for work on infectious diseases and cancer.
He died of...............cancer.

Like I say, nothing remotely funny.

TotalMayhem
04-10-2011, 08:59 PM
:D:D:D
It's not, repeat not remotely funny that the winner who died, was awarded the prize for work on infectious diseases and cancer.
He died of...............cancer.

Like I say, nothing remotely funny.

:D

Didn't know that, only heard last night that it was quite embarrassing for the committee that one of their winners died a few days ago and nobody knew it. They normally don't award posthumously.

Fermoy
04-10-2011, 10:02 PM
Having made the decision they decided to go ahead with their choice and announced it to the world
.A new precedent perhaps ?

Apparently he used the results of his own immunotherapy on himself

fluffybiscuits
04-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Having made the decision they decided to go ahead with their choice and announced it to the world
.A new precedent perhaps ?

Apparently he used the results of his own immunotherapy on himself

I heard that on the news this morning. Apparently he extended his life by a few months .

C. Flower
05-10-2011, 04:24 AM
Um I know I wont win any awards for Mastermind but will this go anyway to explaining where the missing sock goes in the wash.:D

Nice.

Count Bobulescu
05-10-2011, 07:23 AM
Not to hurt your head or make it too complicated, or anything like that, but ouch!

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/science/july-dec11/physics_10-04.html