PDA

View Full Version : UK: NSPCC Helpline for paedophiles

Andrew49
30-09-2011, 01:09 PM
A LEADING British children's charity will launch a phone helpline for pedophiles tomorrow. The emergency number - aimed at talking convicted pedophiles who have served their sentences and been released from jail out of striking again - will be manned around the clock by trained counselors on behalf of the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC). Donations to the 127-year-old charity will fund the controversial toll-free service.

Source (http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/helpline-for-pedophiles-set-up-by-british-charity/story-e6frfku0-1226154372860)

I just don't know how this is helpful to paedophiles. Knowing the recidivist nature of these people surely some kind of enforced isolation from vulnerable communities would be more apt!

Captain Con O'Sullivan
30-09-2011, 01:13 PM
Begs the question- we isolate dangerous people from society either by sectioning them or jailing them.

How many convicted paedophiles are wandering around in society under changed names? I can assure you there would be no need for such a helpline were the world to turn upside down and I had control of it.

There simply wouldn't be any convicted paedophiles wandering about the first place.

disability student
30-09-2011, 01:27 PM
Begs the question- we isolate dangerous people from society either by sectioning them or jailing them.

How many convicted paedophiles are wandering around in society under changed names? I can assure you there would be no need for such a helpline were the world to turn upside down and I had control of it.

There simply wouldn't be any convicted paedophiles wandering about the first place.

The Judiciary and the legal profession are equally responsible for the these people who roamed free and their names are covered with pseudonyms. These paedophiles would be never named. One barrister warned me of defamation but i told him it happened actually with witness. How can it be defamed?

Griska
30-09-2011, 01:43 PM
The situation needs to be assessed in a stand alone capacity though.
The reality is that sexual offenders are released (often having refused treatment), so is providing a helpline which may help avoid a tragedy not worth a shot?

Like an alcoholic or drug addict being talked out of using, perhaps it might work in a percentage of cases.

Captain Con O'Sullivan
30-09-2011, 01:48 PM
The Judiciary and the legal profession are equally responsible for the these people who roamed free and their names are covered with pseudonyms. These paedophiles would be never named. One barrister warned me of defamation but i told him it happened actually with witness. How can it be defamed?

There were at last eight more priests with credible evidence against them in the Cloyne diocese who seem to have successfully wandered off as well and suspiciously no questions have been asked as to their whereabouts.

All Cloyne priests have apparently passed Garda vetting according to a statement from those honest, upright and credible stakeholders the catholic church in the diocese.

Which means that either the Garda vetting has passed eight priests with credible enough evidence against them in the Cloyne report or those priests have been replaced on the transfer merrygoround by the church before the vetting.

If the latter- where are they now? Even more interesting is why no-one in the media in Ireland seems to have spotted this gap in the fence either.

Andrew49
30-09-2011, 02:23 PM
The situation needs to be assessed in a stand alone capacity though.
The reality is that sexual offenders are released (often having refused treatment), so is providing a helpline which may help avoid a tragedy not worth a shot?

Like an alcoholic or drug addict being talked out of using, perhaps it might work in a percentage of cases.

If they've refused treatment on the inside, likely as not, they'll refuse this helpline. One of the problems is that they actually don't believe they've done anything wrong. I saw this at the Child Abuse Commission where one monster lambasted a victim saying he had never hit him - that he was kind to him and looked out for him! He did acknowledge the accusations - he had been jailed for them after all - but not that they were crimes against the child.

They do occupy a different planer in their own minds.

Griska
30-09-2011, 02:26 PM
If they've refused treatment on the inside, likely as not, they'll refuse this helpline. One of the problems is that they actually don't believe they've done anything wrong. I saw this at the Child Abuse Commission where one monster lambasted a victim saying he had never hit him - that he was kind to him and looked out for him! He did acknowledge the accusations - he had been jailed for them after all - but not that they were crimes against the child.

They do occupy a different planer in their own minds.

Yes, I fear what you say is likely in the majority of cases.
However, even if a tiny number of people use this service, I believe it would be worthwhile.
I presume there will be statistics available in the future.

fluffybiscuits
30-09-2011, 02:59 PM
There were at last eight more priests with credible evidence against them in the Cloyne diocese who seem to have successfully wandered off as well and suspiciously no questions have been asked as to their whereabouts.

All Cloyne priests have apparently passed Garda vetting according to a statement from those honest, upright and credible stakeholders the catholic church in the diocese.

Which means that either the Garda vetting has passed eight priests with credible enough evidence against them in the Cloyne report or those priests have been replaced on the transfer merrygoround by the church before the vetting.

If the latter- where are they now? Even more interesting is why no-one in the media in Ireland seems to have spotted this gap in the fence either.

Its like a terrorist in a sleeper cell, they only need one chance and then that is it. I think people working in positions of trust with kids need to be psychologically assessed as to their mental health and then along with Garda vetting to ensure they are not paedophiles.

morticia
06-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Well, the UK helpline should be hearing from Tory grandees shortly; not to be upstaged by the BBC/Savile affair, new revelations allege that one or two Tory grandees were abusing children in a home in Wales, dating back to the 1970s. One of the accused is, like Savile, no longer with us. The other is denying the charges, but there is alleged photographic evidence.

Drip, drip, drip.

Ephilant
07-11-2012, 08:26 AM
Its like a terrorist in a sleeper cell, they only need one chance and then that is it. I think people working in positions of trust with kids need to be psychologically assessed as to their mental health and then along with Garda vetting to ensure they are not paedophiles.

Just like homosexuality, paedofilia is not a psychological condition, and cannot be treated as such. It is the nature of the individual.
Unlike homosexuality, paedolfilia is not an act between consenting partners, and is therefore at least on-par with rape. As it involves children, it is an even greater danger to the individual victims as well as society at large, and must be dealt with accordingly.

fluffybiscuits
08-11-2012, 11:32 PM
Just like homosexuality, paedofilia is not a psychological condition, and cannot be treated as such. It is the nature of the individual.
Unlike homosexuality, paedolfilia is not an act between consenting partners, and is therefore at least on-par with rape. As it involves children, it is an even greater danger to the individual victims as well as society at large, and must be dealt with accordingly.

Im well aware its an orientation however Im looking at the values that these paedophiles hold. They do not see sex with children as being anything wrong, they sometimes even claim that children hit on them. This is the worrying part as more often than not our attitudes keep us from acting out against what is abnormal behaviour but with paedophiles they dont see what they are doing as wrong.

Holly
09-11-2012, 03:16 AM
Until recently, gays were accused of not seeing that they were criminal deviants. The law was changed and overnight, behavior which was seen as incorrigible and degenerate requiring that offenders should be locked-up and the key thrown away, became alright. Some gays were ridden with guilt believing that they were doing wrong when they broke the law. But, over the years, many must have felt unfairly judged and misunderstood.
Similarly, with pedophiles, it is not necessary for them to believe their attraction to minors under the age of consent is wrong, only that an illegal act is subject to punishment upon conviction. Sexuality is a strong part of human nature but it need not always be expressed.

fluffybiscuits
09-11-2012, 02:14 PM
Until recently, gays were accused of not seeing that they were criminal deviants. The law was changed and overnight, behavior which was seen as incorrigible and degenerate requiring that offenders should be locked-up and the key thrown away, became alright. Some gays were ridden with guilt believing that they were doing wrong when they broke the law. But, over the years, many must have felt unfairly judged and misunderstood.
Similarly, with pedophiles, it is not necessary for them to believe their attraction to minors under the age of consent is wrong, only that an illegal act is subject to punishment upon conviction. Sexuality is a strong part of human nature but it need not always be expressed.

Unexpressed sexuality is the root cause of a lot of problems if Freud is anything to go by. Self expression is a huge part of identity and this is often linked to how we are sexually as beings.It is widely accepted that paedophiles are attracted to children but its to quell these behaviours and put in place safeguards like a stigma that children are not sexual objects that protects children invariably. That is why I would never advocate a death penalty for paedophiles, they are acting on their sexual impulses but sometimes are overcome with their urges. Chemical castration is one way forward to quell such desires, its not interfering with their lives in any major way saving children and saving the paedophiles from theselves. Psychologiucal therapy just does not cut the mustard as prison doesnt.