PDA

View Full Version : UK police free 24 slaves in London

Andrew49
11-09-2011, 04:35 PM
UK police say they have freed 24 men believed to have been held against their will, some for more than a decade, and have arrested four people on suspicion of slavery offences. Source (http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/uk-police-free-24-slaves-arrest-four/story-e6frfku0-1226134390789)

Meanwhile in Ireland figures supplied to the Irish Examiner show 38 people are known to have been smuggled into Ireland by Romanian criminals between 2007 and 2010. These were brought here to either work as prostitutes, to beg or to be exploited by black-market employers. Link (http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/slave-trade-romanian-trafficker-ran-brothels-in-irish-cities-165947.html)

Captain Con O'Sullivan
11-09-2011, 07:09 PM
The gangmasters involved appear to be 'members of the Travelling Community' and in the latter cases immigrants.

Wonder will Vanessa Redgrave be chaining herself to any police station railings over the interference in the legitimate business interests of these oppressed minorities?

C. Flower
14-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Well, the people who have been wondering if this raid had anything to do with the current stand off at another Travellers' site may have been on to something.

One of the "slaves" says he was on 50.00 a day.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/sep/12/rescued-man-criticises-slavery-raid

"The new legislation has allowed the investigation more scope and takes into account emotional rather than physical harm," O'Neil said. "I am confident that while the investigation is in its early stages this is a family-run 'business' and is an organised crime group that has been broken up by the Netwing operation."
At the well-established Greenacre caravan park in Leighton Buzzard, which has 16 mobile homes, one of the men taken by police, who did not want to be named, said he had been living in a caravan on a Traveller plot for several years and working as a paver, for which he was being paid 50 a day. "I think it's all a load of rubbish and they just hate Travellers," said the man, who is in his 50s. "Plenty of men who were here wanted to be here and they were getting paid. The police coming in heavy-handed like this is just wrong."
More than 200 police officers raided the site in the early hours of Sunday, aided by a helicopter and dog patrols. Armed officers were also present. Four men and a woman were arrested on suspicion of slavery offences, while 24 men were taken to a medical centre.
Police said the men had been kept as virtual slaves in appalling conditions, forced to work long hours doing physically demanding jobs without pay.
However, the man told the Guardian he had worked for 15 years with one Traveller family who had provided him with work and accommodation when he had nowhere else to go. After refusing to answer police questions, he made his way back to the site. He said: "The police told me I couldn't come back, but I told them it was my home and if I wanted to go back I would go back."
Speaking at the door of her mobile home, one woman – who said she was the wife of one of the arrested men but did not want to be named – said the police claims were "ridiculous".
She added: "The men who were taken were getting paid 30 a day, they had somewhere to live, this is all a load of nonsense."
Police claimed the suspects lured vulnerable men from dole queues and homeless shelters to work at the site. But the woman said they came voluntarily because they knew Travellers would give work to men down on their luck.
"Isn't it better that they have a roof over their head?" she said. "What are they going to do now – when the police have finished with them they will be homeless. It's up to them how they kept their homes, but they could come and go whenever they pleased."

rebellin
14-09-2011, 06:51 PM
Well, the people who have been wondering if this raid had anything to do with the current stand off at another Travellers' site may have been on to something.

One of the "slaves" says he was on 50.00 a day.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/sep/12/rescued-man-criticises-slavery-raid

To-C Flower
Thankyou for cutting through the Sturm & Drang of unsubstantiated anti Traveller hype.