PDA

View Full Version : Evening Herald Reports Internet call for Dublin Riots

Holly
17-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Gardai are on alert after a spate of websites were set up inciting riots in Dublin during tonight's Leaving Cert results celebrations, reports the Evening Herald in a front page story.
A number of sites are encouraging students to riot in Grafton Street and O'Connell Street. One of them is quoted as, "Go break everything and don't forget to loot."
In response, the gardai are remaining "vigilant", aware of these sites since last week.
This could turn out as a validation of the adage, What the Brits do, we do.

C. Flower
17-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Gardai are on alert after a spate of websites were set up inciting riots in Dublin during tonight's Leaving Cert results celebrations, reports the Evening Herald in a front page story.
A number of sites are encouraging students to riot in Grafton Street and O'Connell Street. One of them is quoted as, "Go break everything and don't forget to loot."
In response, the gardai are remaining "vigilant", aware of these sites since last week.
This could turn out as a validation of the adage, What the Brits do, we do.

For the avoidance of any doubt, I have amended the thread title.

Any link to this story, or to any of the site ? I'm surprised that if they have been around for days, I've seen nothing of this on twitter.

Holly
17-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Any link to this story, or to any of the site ? I'm surprised that if they have been around for days, I've seen nothing of this on twitter.

Not surprisingly, the newspaper is not giving links but it reports that it has seen one on Facebook and the police are reported as having received a number of complaints about several such sites. "It is easy for people to say things on sites like Facebook -- putting these things into practice is a different matter. Of course, if there is any serious trouble tonight, gardai will be ready for it", one police source is quoted.

Captain Con O'Sullivan
17-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Did they quote or identify any of the 'spate' of websites set up to 'encourage' riots? Or should I just email the Minister for Justice and congratulate him on his preparing the ground for restrictions on websites and social media?

Smells like horseshyte to me- and politically inspired horseshyte at that. Is there a journalist's byline on the story or is the byline blank?

Holly
17-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Smells like horseshyte to me- and politically inspired horseshyte at that. Is there a journalist's byline on the story or is the byline blank?

The reporter is crime correspondent, Ken Foy.

Captain Con O'Sullivan
17-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Oh right- did they specify any of the 'spate' of websites? Sounds like a man-bites-dog story to me.

And crime correspondents in Ireland tend to be a bit close to the Gardai. Smelly story popping up suspiciously close to the UK riots. I'm sure there's a bullshyte dissemination unit comprised of Gardai and media somewhere in Ireland.

'Its in de papers so it must be true.'

Holly
17-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Oh right- did they specify any of the 'spate' of websites? Sounds like a man-bites-dog story to me.

Facebook was mentioned although no specific accounts were identified.

Baron von Biffo
17-08-2011, 06:16 PM
I'm surprised that if they have been around for days, I've seen nothing of this on twitter.

It's a Herald story. It might amount to nothing more than a bit of idle online speculation about drunk kids running amok.

Kid Ryder
17-08-2011, 06:28 PM

And crime correspondents in Ireland tend to be a bit close to the Gardai. Smelly story popping up suspiciously close to the UK riots. I'm sure there's a bullshyte dissemination unit comprised of Gardai and media somewhere in Ireland.

Con, it's called the Garda Press Office. Their lies and bogus insinuations regarding things I've been involved in (the Shell to Sea campaign, Mayday 2004, anti-war actions at Shannon, Reclaim the Streets actions to name a few) are beyond counting at this stage. And yes, the journalism fraternity of Oireland Inc. are well embedded with them, almost to the point of bodily fluid exchange.

Captain Con O'Sullivan
17-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Oh right yeh:) Have they released the news that lookin' at the internet gives you AIDs yet?

Holly
17-08-2011, 06:41 PM
Darkness will be falling in a couple of hours. Let's see what happens.

Apjp
17-08-2011, 07:03 PM

A garda detective retired wrote in last weeks herald that the gardai would outclass the uk in suppressing rioters and protesters. He also said they have several plainclothes snatchers, something the gardai and usi denied existed last november.

I think the gardai were bored all summer and want to beat protesters etc off the street all winter

Sent from my GT-I5500 using Tapatalk

Frankie Lee
17-08-2011, 07:17 PM
Was that the honourable Gerry O'Carroll by any chance?

Apjp
17-08-2011, 07:58 PM
Was that the honourable Gerry O'Carroll by any chance?

Yes

Sent from my GT-I5500 using Tapatalk

Fraxinus
17-08-2011, 08:19 PM
The Indo group never ceases to amaze...shock headline related to the recent riots in Britain and people are sure to buy it. I'd put the integrity of gangerine on a higher standing than the crime journalists that write for any of the O'Reilly Rags.

Captain Con O'Sullivan
17-08-2011, 08:20 PM
Funny how their crime reporters never seem to find themselves in and around the IFSC.

C. Flower
17-08-2011, 08:29 PM
I googled this, and only PW came up...

Swear on your mother's life it's in the Herald, Holly ?

Fraxinus
17-08-2011, 08:30 PM
I googled this, and only PW came up...

Swear on your mother's life it's in the Herald, Holly ?

It is, I saw it on a shop counter this evening.

C. Flower
17-08-2011, 08:32 PM
The Indo group never ceases to amaze...shock headline related to the recent riots in Britain and people are sure to buy it. I'd put the integrity of gangerine on a higher standing than the crime journalists that write for any of the O'Reilly Rags.

It looks to me like a total invention. Nothing googling. Someone on Boards would have picked it up if it was anything of any substance. They're all over the Leaving Cert. results etc.

morticia
17-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Did they quote or identify any of the 'spate' of websites set up to 'encourage' riots? Or should I just email the Minister for Justice and congratulate him on his preparing the ground for restrictions on websites and social media?

I'd agree with your cynicism, except that one of the lads in work overheard a load of people in one of the pubs talking about it last Thursday.... not in connection with Leaving cert night, but in the context of last Saturday. He doesn't live in one of Dublin's most exclusive areas, needless to say...

So the rumour was going around then, but nothing happened.

C. Flower
17-08-2011, 09:08 PM
I'd agree with your cynicism, except that one of the lads in work overheard a load of people in one of the pubs talking about it last Thursday.... not in connection with Leaving cert night, but in the context of last Saturday. He doesn't live in one of Dublin's most exclusive areas, needless to say...

So the rumour was going around then, but nothing happened.

Our young generation are better off than UK youths. Benefits are a lot higher, and I think so is the minimum wage.

morticia
17-08-2011, 09:37 PM
Our young generation are better off than UK youths. Benefits are a lot higher, and I think so is the minimum wage.

Indeed. And don't forget our poxy weather....bit of a riot killer, that one

C. Flower
17-08-2011, 09:48 PM
There was that police riot, at the time of the student demonstration last year....

morticia
17-08-2011, 10:06 PM
There was that police riot, at the time of the student demonstration last year....

Did they actually succeed in destroying anything, or was that just an occupation? can't remember.

On a British riot scale of 1-10, it probably rates a 0.5.....thankfully...

C. Flower
17-08-2011, 10:13 PM
Did they actually succeed in destroying anything, or was that just an occupation? can't remember.

On a British riot scale of 1-10, it probably rates a 0.5.....thankfully...

They beat children, who were seated peacefully on the ground, over the head with steel batons, rendering at least one of them comatose, and leaving others with concussion.

morticia
17-08-2011, 10:15 PM
They beat children, who were seated peacefully on the ground, over the head with steel batons, rendering at least one of them comatose, and leaving others with concussion.

OK, not good. I assume you mean the Guards, not other protesters??

C. Flower
17-08-2011, 10:16 PM
OK, not good. I assume you mean the Guards, not other protesters??

I do. It was all on video, close up. There could be no doubt about it.

C. Flower
17-08-2011, 10:20 PM
RTE Six One News National Student Protest - YouTube

morticia
17-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Anything come of the Garda Ombudsman complaint??

Kev Bar
17-08-2011, 10:30 PM
A good few cops around but didn't spot any lupine packs of the dreaded Hoodedlootferalus

C. Flower
17-08-2011, 10:30 PM

I haven't heard. There's a better video here that I hadn't seen before, with the original sound in place.

http://free-education.info/video-gardai-knocks-female-student-unconscious-at-national-student-protest/

Kev Bar
17-08-2011, 10:37 PM
See what you mean...I see no press report. Careful now or we'll get four years for using social media to rally rioters.

Derelict
18-08-2011, 02:11 AM
A garda detective retired wrote in last weeks herald that the gardai would outclass the uk in suppressing rioters and protesters.

And they'll be very glad of the necessary overtime.

Holly
18-08-2011, 02:38 AM
It is, I saw it on a shop counter this evening.

Thank-you for backing-up my account when my credibility was questioned, Fraxinus. :)

Apjp
18-08-2011, 02:44 AM

Of course not. we live in a fascist police state.

Apjp
18-08-2011, 02:45 AM
http://www.zerohedge.com/article/max-keiser-and-gerald-celente-deconstruct-financial-fraud Worth watching again in the context of the global unrest

fluffybiscuits
18-08-2011, 10:40 AM

Have heard about their disproportionate action in some cases. Some of them I gather are fairly heavy handed. I knew a lad who joined the cops, he was an utter tool , sent an e mail to his friends saying "this time next year I'll be in a position of power"! Cant believe someone like that got into the force! I have faith in the force in general though!

C. Flower
18-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Have heard about their disproportionate action in some cases. Some of them I gather are fairly heavy handed. I knew a lad who joined the cops, he was an utter tool , sent an e mail to his friends saying "this time next year I'll be in a position of power"! Cant believe someone like that got into the force! I have faith in the force in general though!

It's up to the public and media to keep an eye on them. Any police force would get out of hand if it wasn't watched.

What bothered me as well about what happened at that demonstration was that no one in the media or the trade unions kicked up over what happened.

fluffybiscuits
18-08-2011, 01:13 PM
It's up to the public and media to keep an eye on them. Any police force would get out of hand if it wasn't watched.

What bothered me as well about what happened at that demonstration was that no one in the media or the trade unions kicked up over what happened.

Its a shame we have to keep an eye on the police force as any force like that if you excuse the pun should be self policing. The media probably thought it a minor story and the unions are so obsessed with the economic situation they have become somewhat myopic in their thinking.

Baron von Biffo
18-08-2011, 08:29 PM
And they'll be very glad of the necessary overtime.

Do you think people should work for nothing?

Captain Con O'Sullivan
18-08-2011, 08:32 PM
I just wish Irish Gardai copped on that policing is preventative and not just a chance for some fairly limited Mayo lads to act like a gang in uniform.

They'll pay for acting the heavy soon enough.

Baron von Biffo
18-08-2011, 09:21 PM
Its a shame we have to keep an eye on the police force as any force like that if you excuse the pun should be self policing.

I disagree absolutely Fluffy. Self policing is no policing.

Police forces have huge power and those with power should always have someone looking over their shoulders.

morticia
18-08-2011, 09:35 PM
I have faith in the force in general though!

They're slightly in my good books after stopping the other half for speeding in a not-well marked zone with no pedestrians, and letting him off with a warning and not a fine. Doesn't help that our speedo is in miles per hour (brought our UK car home with us).

The other half has a younger colleague who lives with a load of Gardai....given the way she says they're confiscating guns off late teenage southsiders, I'm feeling vaguely grateful. The amount of artillery out there appears to be increasing...not good.

Not that this excuses whacking harmless protesters over the head, though....

fluffybiscuits
18-08-2011, 10:17 PM
They're slightly in my good books after stopping the other half for speeding in a not-well marked zone with no pedestrians, and letting him off with a warning and not a fine. Doesn't help that our speedo is in miles per hour (brought our UK car home with us).

The other half has a younger colleague who lives with a load of Gardai....given the way she says they're confiscating guns off late teenage southsiders, I'm feeling vaguely grateful. The amount of artillery out there appears to be increasing...not good.

Not that this excuses whacking harmless protesters over the head, though....

I do worry about them when they are getting guns like that can come to a messy end. They lads and lassies of the force put their lives on the line bit and that post makes me fear for them even more!

On a lighter note had to laugh today, there was a few skangers drinking cans under Talbot St bridge and a midget Garda just killed staring at them ! He must have been terrified but this was outside Store St garda station!

morticia
18-08-2011, 10:20 PM
On a lighter note had to laugh today, there was a few skangers drinking cans under Talbot St bridge and a midget Garda just killed staring at them ! He must have been terrified but this was outside Store St garda station!

Oh dear.... time to re-instate minimum burliness requirements for those nice boys in uniform, perhaps? 6ft+++??

Couldn't he have called for backup??

fluffybiscuits
18-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Oh dear.... time to re-instate minimum burliness requirements for those nice boys in uniform, perhaps? 6ft+++??

Couldn't he have called for backup??

I wouldnt complain, love the tall lads meself ;)

He stood for a good five mins looking at them,surprised he didnt get back up unless he did after I left!