PDA

View Full Version : Australia Targets our Army of Job Hunters

ang
16-07-2011, 07:26 AM
Australia has a looming shortage of skilled workers and is looking to the Irish to help fill the unemployment gap.

No bubble in Australia all employment based on proper sustainable industries and a growing economy:-

THE Australian government is looking to Ireland's army of unemployed to help solve a looming shortage of skilled workers there.

Western Australia has enough well-paying job vacancies to employ a third of Ireland's 450,000 unemployed, according to the region's employment minister Peter Collier.

With an unemployment rate of just 4pc and a population of two million living in an area the size of continental Europe, the region is anticipating a shortfall of 150,000 workers by 2017, he said.

The area, which is rich in oil and gas exploration, mining and agriculture, is booming and is crying out for skilled workers, he said yesterday.

"It's an economic powerhouse," Mr Collier told a recruitment drive in Dublin.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/australia-targets-our-army-of-job-hunters-2823216.html

Nehaxak
16-07-2011, 09:33 AM
http://www.perthpoms.com/forum/forum.php

^^ Decent forums for anyone interested in moving to the Western parts of Oz. Fairly expensive accommodation too, just take it into account before you jump in.
If I had enough savings to tide us over for the initial set-up/backup, I'd be gone with my wife and kids no problem. Visa is fairly easy to get also, very large list of skills/trades required.

Peter is a decent bloke too, reckon he's added at least 1,000 people to his facebook over the last couple of days :)

DCon
16-07-2011, 09:37 AM
I would love to see this unemployed bum working down a mine

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNe3VkJraVQla0EXWzXhtZwdICfmnOU icgxQMqVojnh3zn6vmH

TotalMayhem
16-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Mr Collier is conveniently forgetting that Australia's "proper sustainable industries and growing economy" are largely owned by and at the mercy of the Commies in Beijing, and their bubble ain't too far from bursting.

Nehaxak
16-07-2011, 09:47 AM
An awful lot of jobs in and around Perth being advertised have nothing to do with mining though, tons of ICT and construction related jobs available.

Apjp
16-07-2011, 11:08 AM
An awful lot of jobs in and around Perth being advertised have nothing to do with mining though, tons of ICT and construction related jobs available.
Whenever i see the c word i get wary. However, worrying about oz or germany being a bubble is pointless. I mean why emigrate if its so scary? Its better to find work elsewhere, and save just in case,than to panic hysterically and rot away here until the penny drops anyways.

Sent from my GT-I5500 using Tapatalk

morticia
17-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Whenever i see the c word i get wary. However, worrying about oz or germany being a bubble is pointless. I mean why emigrate if its so scary? Its better to find work elsewhere, and save just in case,than to panic hysterically and rot away here until the penny drops anyways.

There's probably a year's work there for people anyway, before the bubble pops... and part of the reason they need the workers is that many there already are diverted to flood cleanup ops.

If I were young, single and underemployed, I'd be very tempted to go. Save up, come back in 1-5 years when the mess is partially cleaned up.

Not very risky if you can sign up for work before you leave......

Apjp
18-07-2011, 12:09 AM
There's probably a year's work there for people anyway, before the bubble pops... and part of the reason they need the workers is that many there already are diverted to flood cleanup ops.

If I were young, single and underemployed, I'd be very tempted to go. Save up, come back in 1-5 years when the mess is partially cleaned up.

Not very risky if you can sign up for work before you leave......

we agree yet again. Im 19 and single, and im pretty sure in 2 years time I will still only have seasonal work, leaving me unemployed 6 months a year-except then I wont have the option of a masters here as Da wants me gone. the sister is off to america next year to study and work. I'm still aiming for the 2 year masters in greece, and if by some miracle I get the scholarship, 4 for the doctorate. Perhaps I could spend a summer in australia for 3-4 months though, all going well. I assume I could try and find an internship in journalism/community writing, which I have limited experience and paid employment experience in, if 150'000 jobs are going in the western territory alone. if not, I'll find something simple. A few weeks to travel round the outback would be nice too alright..

truth.ie
18-07-2011, 12:36 AM
Unfortunately, the majority of our great army of unemployed contruction workers are over 30 and not eligable for the work visa, which doesn't really make sense if they are looking for experienced tradesmen.

Apjp
18-07-2011, 12:38 AM
Unfortunately, the majority of our great army of unemployed contruction workers are over 30 and not eligable for the work visa, which doesn't really make sense if they are looking for experienced tradesmen.

perhaps this is true(you have seen figures?) but RTE have reported that it employed a generation of young men here. There's no clarity on the age profile of builders really as of yet.

truth.ie
18-07-2011, 12:59 AM
perhaps this is true(you have seen figures?) but RTE have reported that it employed a generation of young men here. There's no clarity on the age profile of builders really as of yet.
i've no figures and it's pretty irrelevent really.
My point was that the under 30 pre-requisite is pretty stupid to be honest.
It's those over 30 who have experience and collateral they should be head-hunting instead of kids pissing around on sabbaticals and gap years.

Apjp
18-07-2011, 01:15 AM
i've no figures and it's pretty irrelevent really.
My point was that the under 30 pre-requisite is pretty stupid to be honest.
It's those over 30 who have experience and collateral they should be head-hunting instead of kids pissing around on sabbaticals and gap years.

Thats the most ageist post ive seen here and isnt worth an equally insulting reply.if an oap said that to my face,or anyone else, id swing at them.

truth.ie
18-07-2011, 02:09 AM
Thats the most ageist post ive seen here and isnt worth an equally insulting reply.if an oap said that to my face,or anyone else, id swing at them.

Haha! Steady tiger.
If you re-read the posts you'll find I'm actually raising awareness to a pretty blatant act of ageism,
I'm the anti ageist round these parts,and if there's any OAP's to be swung at, I'll be doing the swinging if you don't mind.

bormotello
18-07-2011, 07:17 AM
deja vu

Ireland was also looking for workforce from Poland 6 years ago in order to fill empty properties

http://media.crikey.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/propertybubble.jpg

Baron von Biffo
18-07-2011, 12:38 PM
deja vu

Ireland was also looking for workforce from Poland 6 years ago in order to fill empty properties

http://media.crikey.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/propertybubble.jpg

OT: I love the graph. The addition of geometric shapes to the coloured lines shows consideration for the colour blind.

jason5
18-07-2011, 02:10 PM
I've heard that many of these jobs are not actually in Perth or a similar urban/suburbann locale, but way out in the desert, which is why people aren't that keen on taking them. It's not quite as easy as it seems to get employment in Perth.