PDA

View Full Version : Vatican Secret Archives to be unveiled

Andrew49
07-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Gregory VIIís 'Dictatus papae' (1073-1085); Clement VII's letter to the English parliament on the matrimonial cause of Henry VIII (1530), and the codex of the trial of Galileo Galilei (1616-1633) are just some of historic treasures set to leave the Vatican for the first time in centuries. They will go on public display on Romeís Capitoline Hill in a groundbreaking exhibition due to open February 2012.

"'Lux in Arcana' - the Vatican Secret Archives unveiled", is the title of the exhibit organised in conjunction with Romeís Capitoline Museums and was presented to the press at the Vatican Tuesday by Secretary of State, Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, Cardinal Raffaele Farina., archivist and librarian of Holy Roman Church, Bishop Sergio Pagano B., prefect of the Vatican Secret Archives, and Giovanni Alemanno, mayor of Rome.

Vatican Radio (http://www.oecumene.radiovaticana.org/en1/Articolo.asp?c=501736)

Griska
07-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Shame that any wrongdoings will be slightly beyond the statute of limitations.
It would be "couragious" if they released files from the last 50 or 70 years.

Captain Con O'Sullivan
07-07-2011, 01:10 PM
I'd quite like to see an exhibition of all the Vatican's archived materiel- shortly after it has been seized.

Still I suppose they are slowly catching up as they are up to the 16th century now. I note that the Galileo reference is to the 'codex' of the trial which will be the official Vatican version.

Might be of interest to historians but then a lot of the details of his trial and events around it are available to historians anyway. I read a really interesting little book by Dava Sobel called 'Galileo's Daughter: Essays and Letters' which was a marvellous mix of letters on the mundane and the major events of Galileo's life and trial as shown in letters between Galileo and his daughter who had taken vows as a nun not far from where he was living.

Sobel supplies the context and background to the translation of the letters - a nice book for a rainy day but not a holiday read by the pool..

Holly
07-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Stale old documents.