PDA

View Full Version : Top Tory Found Dead in VIP Toilet at Glastonbury

Andrew49
26-06-2011, 12:56 PM
A key member of Prime Minister David Cameron's constituency team has been found dead in a portable toilet in the backstage area of the Glastonbury festival. Christopher Shale, chairman of West Oxfordshire Conservative Association, was discovered by officers shortly after 9am today, Avon and Somerset Police said. Mr Shale, 55, helps run Mr Cameron's Witney constituency office. Sources believe he died from a heart attack but the cause of his death has not been confirmed.

Here's what he said recently:
There's absolutely no reason to join the Conservative Party – and that’s according to David Cameron’s own constituency chairman, Christopher Shale.
In a strategy document seen by The Mail on Sunday (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2008127/JAMES-FORSYTH-Theres-reason-join-Tories-Weve-come-voracious-crass--Who-says-Daves-constituency-chairman.html?ito=feeds-newsxml), Mr Shale admits that at present there’s ‘no reason to join. Lots of reasons not to’. The paper, of which Cameron is aware, presents a scathing assessment of the social skills and fundraising efforts of his association. In a sign of how hard the party is finding it to attract new members, the document concedes that the Prime Minister’s own association gained only 22 members in the past year.

Their response is ‘Operation Vanguard’, which is designed to achieve a ‘transformational increase in [West Oxfordshire Conservative Association] membership, in ways others can apply to similar effect nationally’. The plan is brutally frank about the failings of the constituency party. Shale writes that ‘collectively we are not always an appealing proposition’. He slams the association’s fundraising efforts, saying: ‘Over the years we have come across as graceless, voracious, crass, always on the take.’

He concludes that people don’t join because they
‘think we’ll beg and steal from them. And they’re right’.

May he rest in peace

C. Flower
26-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Went out with a blast, anyway.

Captain Con O'Sullivan
26-06-2011, 01:41 PM
An unusual exit for a conservative party constituency chairman to go but hey if its good enough for Elvis....

Makes a refreshing break from S&M dungeons in Pimlico anyway.

Andrew49
26-06-2011, 01:58 PM
He appears also not to have been a sycophant.

Captain Con O'Sullivan
26-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Looks like he went significantly off reservation alright locally... mid-life crisis? Seemed to come out with some fairly bizarre statements for a Tory chairman who aren't known for their enthusiasm for reform generally.

Cáthasaigh
26-06-2011, 02:04 PM
He appears also not to have been a sycophant.

Neither was Stephen Milligan.

Captain Con O'Sullivan
26-06-2011, 02:18 PM
At least he had the decency to go in the VIP backstage area. It would have been too, too horrible if he had turned the political corner with the oiks out front. Old habits die hard.

Griska
26-06-2011, 02:36 PM
Prolonged exposure to U2 and/or Coldplay will do that to you.

5intheface
26-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Prolonged exposure to U2 and/or Coldplay will do that to you.

Mercy killing?

Griska
26-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Mercy killing?

The most merciful kind:)

DesmondBrennan
26-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Went out with a blast, anyway.

someone has dies - is it that funny?

C. Flower
26-06-2011, 03:20 PM
someone has dies - is it that funny?

It was a compliment.

Ruaidhri
26-06-2011, 04:21 PM
I imagine that its unusual for a Tory in his 50's to be at Glastonbury so that a bit odd.

Rest in Peace all the same.

Kid Ryder
26-06-2011, 04:27 PM
I imagine that its unusual for a Tory in his 50's to be at Glastonbury so that a bit odd.

Rest in Peace all the same.

Not necessarily. Dadrockers are among the largest demographic sectors and the biggest spenders in the music 'market'.

morticia
26-06-2011, 04:51 PM
May he rest in peace.

....no one has yet come up with a conspiracy theory??

Captain Con O'Sullivan
26-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Oh well if its conspiracies time ... he recently commissioned a report into why people weren't joining Oxfordshire conservatives and the answer coming back was that they were thoroughly disliked by many.

And he also announced that people thought the association would steal their money which is an extraordinarily frank admission in public. So we have someone going off reservation. Perhaps he was drugged by the Womens Institute (Gestapo and Scone Weaving Division) bundled into the back of a cheap car and driven by someone's batman to Glasto and propped up in a portaloo to make it look like he'd gone mad and was mainlining on RockMusic with young people.

Lesson? Don't mess with Oxfordshire Conservative Associations.

morticia
26-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Hmmm.... but Glasto's gone a bit respeckable in recent years.

I know a few regular attenders... they were mad young things 10-20 years ago, but now work for the financial services industry.....

and the "off message" stuff sounds a bit like something Cammy would endorse to sideline the right wing a bit more.

Drugs??? is there going to be a pm/autopsy?

DesmondBrennan
26-06-2011, 05:10 PM
It was a compliment.
how so? Its being reported as a possible suicide on the radio

Captain Con O'Sullivan
26-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Eavis apparently said this morning that 'it appears we have a suicide situation on our hands' and the Guardian reporting says only that his body was discovered.

I suspect that Eavis may have been told to shut up about the circumstances but he will have been informed by security.

Could be out of respect for the family or could be that the police don't want anyone discussing the circumstances until they are sure what happened. Either way Eavis's comments mentioning 'suicide' weren't making it into the MSM at least by lunchtime today.

I hope the authorities don't try to do something silly like cover up the circumstances if there was any drug involvement or it was suicide as it'll only create a newsgap which will be filled by the truth in the end.

C. Flower
26-06-2011, 05:14 PM

I was referring to his honest and forthright report on the appeal of Tory constituency organisations.

I have no views on the cause of his demise.

Captain Con O'Sullivan
26-06-2011, 05:14 PM

Ah right- the media sites were holding back on that at lunchtime so they've obviously decided now to run with it.

Cáthasaigh
26-06-2011, 06:11 PM

The Milliganesque parallels abound. And interestingly enough dead MI6 agent and smear victim Gareth Williams makes a bizarre and coincidental return to the news today http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/80842,news-comment,news-politics,did-the-russian-mafia-kill-mi6-agent-gareth-williams-

Trow
26-06-2011, 06:19 PM

Suicide by heart attack? That's a new one.

Andrew49
26-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Mr Cameron said he had lost
"a close and valued friend - a big rock in my life has suddenly been rolled away".

The Duchess of York, who appears to have known Mr Shale, tweeted:
"Christopher Shale, the kindest, most special gentle loyal rock of a friend, we will all miss you desperately."

morticia
26-06-2011, 07:48 PM
I hope the authorities don't try to do something silly like cover up the circumstances if there was any drug involvement or it was suicide as it'll only create a newsgap which will be filled by the truth in the end.

Roysh, this is the authorities we are talking about here (and Tories to boot). What do they do instinctively??

Yup, cover-up. Followed by inevitable leakiness...Glasto was kinda crowded at the time. Think drugs mishap more likely than suicide, though....cocaine is well known for causing cardiac arrest in some circs. And I doubt if anyone would really want to be found in a portapotty, given the choice...if there's one thing suicides do have, it is the choice of how to be found.

Andrew49
26-06-2011, 08:03 PM
I dunno. With Cameron describing him as a 'big rock' and a Duchess calling him a 'loyal rock' I reckon some people want this story buried.

truth.ie
26-06-2011, 08:12 PM
I dunno. With Cameron describing him as a 'big rock' and a Duchess calling him a 'loyal rock' I reckon some people want this story buried.
Typo by Cameron?