PDA

View Full Version : Teenage Drinking in Ireland

jinnyjoe
05-06-2011, 10:21 PM
I fell upon this article in the Independent by accident by Claudia Kerr. It was very thought provoking and an extremely well written and passionate article, written from the heart as one would say. An article, all parents should read I think.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/parenting/blind-drunk-at-sweet-16-2660281.html

TotalMayhem
05-06-2011, 11:51 PM
passionate

"Can you bring me some water?"

"Get it yourself,"

No, heartless! :D

Griska
05-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Ms. Kerr is a little naive, methinks.

I work with teenagers and this was a cakewalk.

My little one isn't getting out alone until she's 25!

Holly
06-06-2011, 12:32 AM
A lot of parents indulge their children and then act surprised when they discover that they have reared selfish, lying, drunks, they are dismayed.
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

smiles
06-06-2011, 03:24 AM
The article was a very honest account of what she went through and honesty is definitely refreshing.. But teenage drinking isn't the problem, it is the symptom of a problem.. And I believe she missed a golden opportunity to educate herself and give the wider population a deeper understanding of underage drinking rather than just a voyeuristic insight of her daughters drunken night.

Kev Bar
06-06-2011, 04:41 AM
I fell upon this article in the Independent by accident by Claudia Kerr. It was very thought provoking and an extremely well written and passionate article, written from the heart as one would say. An article, all parents should read I think.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/parenting/blind-drunk-at-sweet-16-2660281.html

Yawn.

"It's never my child."

Until.

Violins.

Sometimes kids wanna get fcuked out of their gourds.

Hopefully they'll grow out of it.

Yojimbo
06-06-2011, 07:56 AM
Personally, if I was 16 years old and then walked into school to find everyone sniggering over cuttings of an article by my mum in the Indo, it would drive me to heroin.

Baron von Biffo
06-06-2011, 09:19 AM
Personally, if I was 16 years old and then walked into school to find everyone sniggering over cuttings of an article by my mum in the Indo, it would drive me to heroin.

Precisely.

It's a dreadfully insensitive article and it was callous of the Indo to run it.

TotalMayhem
06-06-2011, 10:32 AM
The article was posted in LIFESTYLE >> MOTHERS & BABIES :D

Reminds me of another "lifestyle journalist" (who is now on her way to great fame at Columbia University) venting her misgivings in the Indo...

DCon
06-06-2011, 10:40 AM
I drank as a teenager. Did me no harm. In fact, taught me a few lessons.

Yojimbo
07-06-2011, 08:01 AM
Best advice I ever got on teenaged drinking was when I was about 17, and clinging desperately to the rails at the parapet of a bridge, hoping that staring at the river below would stop the world from spinning and that my stomach would stop heaving. I felt a friendly pat on my back and I turned around to see a middle aged man.

'Don't worry, young man' he said as he walked away 'The first five years are the worst'.

And you know what? He was right.

DCon
05-11-2012, 10:43 PM
Galway girls the worst?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A6-K94sCcAAPFLf.gif

fluffybiscuits
06-11-2012, 04:00 PM
Galway girls the worst?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A6-K94sCcAAPFLf.gif

Damien Rice is going to have to rename his song

"I lost my drinking game to a Galway girl".... :D

fluffybiscuits
08-03-2013, 04:54 PM
http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-alcohol-consumption-2012-824457-Mar2013/

THE AVERAGE IRISH person drank the equivalent of 411 pints of beer last year, new research has suggested.

Figures published by the Drinks Industry Group of Ireland (DIGI) based on data sourced from the Revenue Commissioners, suggests that the average adult imbibed 11.681 litres of pure alcohol in 2012.

That’s the equivalent of 411.3 pints of beer, stout or cider with 5 per cent alcohol content.

*Hic*..

jpc
08-03-2013, 08:42 PM
So we are drinking a lot less than we did.
8 pints a week!
OMG!
Not!

Ogiol
08-03-2013, 11:10 PM
To be fair, if parents were friends with their teenagers (14 up) then those teenagers wouldnt feel the need to go out and get slaughtered. Well, maybe they would , but there would be no great shook horror drunken teenager about it. The most rounded drinkers (not a pun :) i know all drank with their parents when they were mid-teens.

C. Flower
08-03-2013, 11:14 PM
To be fair, if parents were friends with their teenagers (14 up) then those teenagers wouldnt feel the need to go out and get slaughtered. Well, maybe they would , but there would be no great shook horror drunken teenager about it. The most rounded drinkers (not a pun :) i know all drank with their parents when they were mid-teens.

Is there a feeling in Irish parents that they must not allow themselves to get too attached to their children before they head off on the boat to wherever?

I came across a young guy today, 3 o'clock in the afternoon, lying on the ground so drunk that we had to call an ambulance.

Ogiol
08-03-2013, 11:20 PM
Is there a feeling in Irish parents that they must not allow themselves to get too attached to their children before they head off on the boat to wherever?

I came across a young guy today, 3 o'clock in the afternoon, lying on the ground so drunk that we had to call an ambulance.

Thats really sad. It may be more down to the huge psychotic cannot show emotion (robotic voice) that permeates irish culture. Emotions are bad, touching is bad, public showing of affection is baaaad. Maybe its related to that sort of thing.

Saoirse go Deo
08-03-2013, 11:43 PM
A lot of it is down to teens having low self esteem and self confidence and "following the leader". I reckon it takes just one or two edgy popular people to "lead astray" large groups. Peer pressure is a huge factor... if everyone is doing it I better too.

It's often overlooked imo that the most important exam a child will do is the entrance exam for secondary school which determines what class they are put in to. If they preform poorly and are put into a class with a few of these "characters" their entire education will be stunted as teachers try to deal with those few.

Ogiol
08-03-2013, 11:48 PM
But do you not think that if parents had a responsible attitude to teenagers and sat down with the to have a few drinks and chat as friends and not as parents - son/daughter, that maybe a lot of this malarky would disappear?

fluffybiscuits
12-03-2013, 03:54 PM
But do you not think that if parents had a responsible attitude to teenagers and sat down with the to have a few drinks and chat as friends and not as parents - son/daughter, that maybe a lot of this malarky would disappear?

+1

Teenagers should rebel and develop their own streak but the suggestion you made there is a model that would be favourable. European style drinking where they can have a few beers or glasses of wine and just enjoy the experience rather than getting absolutely smashed as seems to happen here. Bonding of this sort would also encourage responsible drinking as the parents have to set example and let them bring their mates over (with the agreeance of the other parents of course!)