PDA

View Full Version : A question for Deputy Tuffy.

Baron von Biffo
27-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Dear Deputy Tuffy,

I refer to this article (http://www.independent.ie/national-news/labour-will-protect-low-paid-workers-ndash-joanna-tuffy-2659771.html) in today's Irish Independent.

You are quoted in the article as saying that Minister Brutons proposals would widen inequality and increase unemployment. This is undoubtedly true and echoes what Bríd O'Brien of the INOU said on radio yesterday.

The report also says that you are confident that the Labour Party will protect low paid workers. I'm a bit concerned though about what appears to be an evasive response from you to the question of how you would vote if Minister Bruton's proposals came before the Dail.

Could you reassure us that in the event, however unlikely, that these proposals do come before the Dail you and your party colleagues will vote against them?

Regards,

von Biffo.

I've emailed Deputy Tuffy informing her of this question and inviting her to join us here and respond.

Captain Con O'Sullivan
27-05-2011, 12:49 PM
The Labour Party are battening down the hatches and preparing to be pasted as the new Greens.

They've been subverted as much as the union leadership has. They'll go through the same valley as the Green Party did- mooings about protection of the working class from the inside, little statements about influencing government policy, when desperate on an issue they'll speak about lines in the sand and then edge around them. The objective for their ministers will be the three years for a ministerial pension, the objectives for senior members of the Labour Party executive and National Coordinators will be comfy state paid positions.

We'll have a rerun of what we've just seen with the Green Party and if Sinn Fein are alert they'll sweep up the desertion of what Labour party 'leftwing' support there is.

Labour will be facilitators for a con in the same way that the Greens were facilitators for Fianna Fail.

greengoose
27-05-2011, 12:53 PM
You will be left waiting for that reply. Tuffy is just another waffler who will be caught out as things progress.

Our Meath landowner, Bruton has great designs on weekend workers' wage structures and Tuffy will row in like a good girl IF Enda is Enda and renages or squirms out of his comment that this is a private initiative of Bruton's.

You will now find out the stark reality of the clichés; "Best of a Bad Lot! and "One Shower Worse Than the Other"!

The stupidity of an electorate voting for an enormous government (coalition) so that there is no proper opposition. This, one might suppose, was to "punish" the FF party when in reality it is sawing off the branch upon which one is sitting. You will see the arrogance, excuses and incompetence develop as things continue to deteriorate.

Baron von Biffo
27-05-2011, 01:12 PM
You will be left waiting for that reply. Tuffy is just another waffler who will be caught out as things progress.

Our Meath landowner, Bruton has great designs on weekend workers' wage structures and Tuffy will row in like a good girl IF Enda is Enda and renages or squirms out of his comment that this is a private initiative of Bruton's.

You will now find out the stark reality of the clichés; "Best of a Bad Lot! and "One Shower Worse Than the Other"!

There's no compulsion on anyone to join us here for discussion. With the Taoiseach and one of his ministers leading the campaign to push up incomes at the top it was nice to see a government TD speaking out for those at the bottom. Perhaps I'm a cynic but I thought her evasive on the matter of voting on this issue so as a matter of courtesy I invited her to comment.

The stupidity of an electorate voting for an enormous government (coalition) so that there is no proper opposition. This, one might suppose, was to "punish" the FF party when in reality it is sawing off the branch upon which one is sitting. You will see the arrogance, excuses and incompetence develop as things continue to deteriorate.

The ABFF campaign that drove the last GE was a triumph for FG and the wealthy interests they represent. It shows the stupidity of voting in anger.

Griska
27-05-2011, 01:18 PM
I think she was against coalition and I remember just after the election VinB coaxed an admission that she would consider voting against the government. However, she was reluctant to say in what situation she would do so.

Greens/Lib Dems have paid the price of ******** their voters.
Labour would be advised to take heed.

Baron von Biffo
27-05-2011, 01:20 PM
On News at One just now another Lab TD, Colm Keaveney refused 3 times to say that Lab would oppose Bruton. No great doubt I think about how he'd vote.

greengoose
27-05-2011, 01:46 PM
On News at One just now another Lab TD, Colm Keaveney refused 3 times to say that Lab would oppose Bruton. No great doubt I think about how he'd vote.

I still like the comment "...fought with his conscience and he won"...

These politicians are simply self servers.

Baron von Biffo
27-05-2011, 05:50 PM
I still like the comment "...fought with his conscience and he won"...

These politicians are simply self servers.

After listening to him earlier I think that Deputy Keaveney's conscience would be well advised to take out health insurance.

Apjp
27-05-2011, 11:14 PM
The Labour Party are battening down the hatches and preparing to be pasted as the new Greens.

They've been subverted as much as the union leadership has. They'll go through the same valley as the Green Party did- mooings about protection of the working class from the inside, little statements about influencing government policy, when desperate on an issue they'll speak about lines in the sand and then edge around them. The objective for their ministers will be the three years for a ministerial pension, the objectives for senior members of the Labour Party executive and National Coordinators will be comfy state paid positions.

We'll have a rerun of what we've just seen with the Green Party and if Sinn Fein are alert they'll sweep up the desertion of what Labour party 'leftwing' support there is.

Labour will be facilitators for a con in the same way that the Greens were facilitators for Fianna Fail.

Im surprised you reckon they'll last to march 2014 given whats coming down the tracks #austerity #enoughisenough #irishrevolution #july16

Apjp
27-05-2011, 11:18 PM
I think she was against coalition and I remember just after the election VinB coaxed an admission that she would consider voting against the government. However, she was reluctant to say in what situation she would do so.

Greens/Lib Dems have paid the price of ******** their voters.
Labour would be advised to take heed.

im going to FB Dom. hannigan on this. always liked him, though im not sure i couldve voted labour were i still in his const. id prob just have voted sf.

Apjp
27-05-2011, 11:25 PM
My FB message to East Meath TD and former senator Dominic Hannigan: http://www.politicalworld.org/showthread.php?p=149796&posted=1#post149796 Hi dominic. I was happy to see yer stance on abolishing state funds to IBEC recently, but just on the issue of what joanna tuffy raised, will you vote against the cuts to 240'000 low paid JLC workers in the event it goes to a dail vote? I will also be asking you and sf tds in meath east/louth, and Ged nash who unlike you has never replied to...a message of mine, on how you intend on voting in future austerity measures when the time is at hand. I urge you to take the tommy braughan(am i spelling that right?) line and support the people who feel labour has let them down already. although i voted independent, i feel many people would be disappointed if you didnt stand up for them like you were elected to do. All the best, Andrew.

Fellow p.w. posters will note the informal stance which is normal when talking to deputy hannigan, or at least ive always felt there was never any need to call him 'deputy' or 'senator' when contacting him. He actually fought very hard for transport rights for deprived areas in east meath like stamullen as a senator(who was on the transport commission) and he is relatively outspoken by Labour standards. I think he is also-well the sun reported it, so take it as you will-1 of 2 homosexual male TDs which is always welcome in any case as the gay community is poorly represented save for david norris atm. Although dont quote me on that, the sun did have a front page story welcoming the fact before(surprising i know) and some people had mentioned it locally to me as well(not in any callous way-even elderly catholics seem not to mind gay people now, but rather some of the ones i know save their hatred for all arabs ie 'they're all the same and have been fighting over nothing, over their religion this longtime, this years', ignoring the fact that rome facilitates child sex abuse and has caused way more deaths than islam throughout history). anyways i think he has the potential to stand up for people and i hope he does.

Baron von Biffo
31-05-2011, 11:46 AM
Keaveney and his conscience are level on points at this stage but there are several rounds to go.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0531/1224298147614.html

Johanna Tuffy hasn't replied to my invitation as yet so she may be engaged in a similar gargantuan struggle.

Richardbouvet
31-05-2011, 12:34 PM
I find Joanna hopeless on the Middle East, but she is generally very good on worker issues.

I think that most Labour TDs will be unable to vote for the sort of "reforms" that Bruton seems to advocate, but may settle for the changes outlined in the recent report, which I think is called the Murphy-Walsh report.

I did not vote to join this government. Now that Labour is in, it is inevitable that some promises and committments will be broken. I would agree that a serious danger exists that labour will get a hammering at the next election, unless they can be seeen to make a major difference to government policies.

quizmaster
31-05-2011, 01:51 PM
The Green/Labour comparison is not really valid. The Greens had 6 seats. Labour have 37 and no excuse whatsoever for rolling over. The Greens punched way above their weight by comparison.

Baron von Biffo
01-06-2011, 12:14 AM
I find Joanna hopeless on the Middle East, but she is generally very good on worker issues.

I think that most Labour TDs will be unable to vote for the sort of "reforms" that Bruton seems to advocate, but may settle for the changes outlined in the recent report, which I think is called the Murphy-Walsh report.

I did not vote to join this government. Now that Labour is in, it is inevitable that some promises and committments will be broken. I would agree that a serious danger exists that labour will get a hammering at the next election, unless they can be seeen to make a major difference to government policies.

Lab should have claimed Finance as a deal breaker in the coalition talks. Their failure to do that means they will be nothing more than lobby fodder for FG. They will get a drubbing at the next GE and they'll deserve it.

Griska
01-06-2011, 12:31 AM
Lab should have claimed Finance as a deal breaker in the coalition talks. Their failure to do that means they will be nothing more than lobby fodder for FG. They will get a drubbing at the next GE and they'll deserve it.

Actually, Lab should have steered clear of coalition and cleaned up at the next election.
Too many too close to retirement though.
Gilmore, Rabbitte, Howlin, Quinn and so on, will be unlikely to offer their heads to the people next time round.

Baron von Biffo
01-06-2011, 01:00 AM
Actually, Lab should have steered clear of coalition and cleaned up at the next election.
Gilmore, Rabbitte, Howlin, Quinn and so on, will be unlikely to offer their heads to the people next time round.

Agreed. They would have had more influence through a confidence and supply agreement with FG than they have in government. Once they decided to go into government though they should have done so as equals rather than as mudguards and the only way to do that was to insist on Finance.

Historians will look back in bewilderment at how Lab turned their best ever GE result into an abject defeat.

Baron von Biffo
10-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Seems Johanna Tuffy doesn't deem us worthy of a reply. That's her right of course but it's a pity to see TDs ducking an opportunity to clarify where they stand on important issues like this.

DCon
10-06-2011, 05:26 PM

I think the too close to retirement is why they went in to government.

Nothing career politicians like more than bigger pensions.

C. Flower
10-06-2011, 06:03 PM
I think the too close to retirement is why they went in to government.

Nothing career politicians like more than bigger pensions.

Nothing so close to early retirement than the position of "Foreign Minister" in a small country with no colonies.

:D