PDA

View Full Version : Ireland; a colony once again

erigena
05-04-2010, 11:05 PM
From 2004-7, I had a set of papers accepted at Irish studies conferences, some of which financial considerations stopped me from attending. I also spoke at some of the better American universities during this period on the same subject; what I predicted was the imminent financial, moral, and cultural collapse of the ethnic project we call the “republic of Ireland”. On foot of this, I* wrote a book called “Ireland; a colony once again” whose publication has been delayed mainly because of having to deal in my professional life with the fetid, yet gargantuan corruption at the core of the Irish state. En route, I* have come to see this state as not just a colonial force directed against the Irish people in the name of various ideas like neoliberalism, but as effectively genocidal.

Both seem radical contentions, unless of course the latter seems simply ridiculous and downright barmy. For a first line of defence, I could perhaps point to the fact that Dublin has been a colonial centre for much of its recent history; first, undoubtedly, for the British and now – with well over 70% of our “native” legislation actually comprised by EU directives – for the neoliberal dispensation authored by the EU, WTO, and other such bodies. One could also point to the theocratic experiment from c. 1935-1970 that we are still recovering from, and the brief flirtation with neoconservatism from 2002to 2004. Yet it is the genocidal idea that attracts me more.

“Genocide” was coined by Lemkin as a term to* describe, not necessarily the physical extinction of a people, but wiping away by any means necessary all trace of them from the earth. According to its adoption in international law in 1948, no-one need be killed; the core notion in the term “genocide” is wiping the footprint of a people from the earth. Up to this point in 1948,* international law allowed a state treat its people like a* farmer treats his chickens. Now there is a really high mountain to climb; I* am going to argue that a state whose highest levels consist almost entirely of Irish indigenes are nevertheless actively conniving in the genocide of the Irish.

However, consider the following recent developments;

1.Since 2008, the government's policies have been carefully calibrated to ensure massive emigration (due to unemployment) of the native Irish, while maintaining the failed neoliberal experiment incarnated above all in a disastrously corrupt banking sector.
2.At the same time, massive immigration has been encouraged, with the immigrants receiving many benefits denied to the native Irish. Any criticism of this results in epithets of “racism” and prosecution by stater bodies.
3.An assault has been performed on sites of enormous archaeological significance like Tara, with the govt showing a willingness to destroy any protectors, both legally and physically.
4.Natural resources are being privatized , as exemplified by shell in Mayo, with the state's armed forces acting as Shell's private army
5.The Irish establishment profit enormously from all these developments; indeed the current minister for transport allowed the the private firm behind the* most controversial road development (beside Tara) to share office space with his dept.
6.Historically, revisionism has become de rigeur. Indeed, our foreign-born current President (who learned Spanish at the expense of Gaelic at school) spends a great deal of her time debauching the military projects of the Irish like the anti-Tudor* uprising
7.An assault on the musical culture of Ireland culminated in a suspended* privatization attempt in the 1990's In the meantime, the government and national broadcaster has promoted boy bands and chick lit* as official national culture. In the meantime, scam artists are preferred over genuine musical artists, and* - exemplified by a recent US federal court case – the Irish state is the only state that allows dissolved companies to continue to steal copyrights, as well as trade openly with the approval of the state's export bodies
8.The major media disproportionately put foreign-born models on their covers to exemplify a changing of the guard

Am I over-reacting? I really hope so. In the meantime, one of the few resources we can access are such indigenous declarations as that in the UN (1993) or Seattle (1999)

Xray
05-04-2010, 11:10 PM
If the government could plan half of what you fear we would not have a problem. They did not intent to hit the iceberg, if they had of, we would have missed it.

RighteousAnger
05-04-2010, 11:25 PM
Am I over-reacting? I really hope so. Definetly, youre overeacting. Genocide? By "boy bands" and "chick lit"? You need to get real.

5intheface
05-04-2010, 11:32 PM
our foreign-born current President

Why should we even bother reading anything else you write? You may have something to say but bile like that negates it. Why not mosey up to the Ardoyne and tell them they aren't Irish.

Xray
05-04-2010, 11:38 PM
Why should we even bother reading anything else you write? You may have something to say but bile like that negates it. Why not mosey up to the Ardoyne and tell them they aren't Irish.

I missed that prize in there. What nonsense. A *****?

5intheface
05-04-2010, 11:40 PM
I missed that prize in there. What nonsense. A *****?

These things tend to jump out at disgruntled Nordies, possibly I was stupid to take the bait.

RosaLuxembourg
05-04-2010, 11:55 PM
These things tend to jump out at disgruntled Nordies, possibly I was stupid to take the bait.

Why stupid?

You were right to point it out.

You've done me the favour of not having to read his post.

Thanks.

Slim Buddha
06-04-2010, 04:49 AM

No you weren't. Even gruntled Nordies would take exception to that.

C. Flower
06-04-2010, 06:50 AM
I've just posted on another thread here about Xenophobia and a group in India who are trying to ban European actresses from Bollywood....

It's our "native born" politicians who have sold us off into slavery. I would happily vote for a Government of Polish people, Nigerians and Nordies if they would default on the debt.

ang
06-04-2010, 08:43 AM
I agree also to give my vote to whoever will press the default button.

I don't care about their creed or colour as long as they do what's best for this nation.

Ned, the man who does not support Anglo or NAMA but votes for them out of duty to FF, no thoughts whatsoever on the needs of the people.

Bigotry is much too polite a word for someone like him.

erigena
12-04-2010, 08:02 PM
I've just posted on another thread here about Xenophobia and a group in India who are trying to ban European actresses from Bollywood....

It's our "native born" politicians who have sold us off into slavery. I would happily vote for a Government of Polish people, Nigerians and Nordies if they would default on the debt.

Wonderfully politically correct, Cactus, and not remotely up to your historical standard. The problem is precisely that the " Polish people, Nigerians" etc have not formed parties which is why the racial unrest will continue. That is the history of race conflict - lack of civil society participation because the state tells them they are already in a "multicultural" (whatever that it) society

As for the Nordies in the Republic , name one who has made a positive policial impact rather than trotting out the party line for some unspeakable monstrosity like FF (McAleese, lest we forget, lost her deposit in DSE in 1987). The good ones stayed up there and fought, either with words or weapons, and continue to do so

The problem remains that the indigenous people of Ireland have been asked to do WAY too much over the past decade

Now can one of you address the issues, because I understood that is what pw is for? Or Cactus, having invited me on this site, would you prefer I stop posting?

C. Flower
12-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Wonderfully politically correct, Cactus, and not remotely up to your historical standard. The problem is precisely that the " Polish people, Nigerians" etc have not formed parties which is why the racial unrest will continue. That is the history of race conflict - lack of civil society participation because the state tells them they are already in a "multicultural" (whatever that it) society

As for the Nordies in the Republic , name one who has made a positive policial impact rather than trotting out the party line for some unspeakable monstrosity like FF (McAleese, lest we forget, lost her deposit in DSE in 1987). The good ones stayed up there and fought, either with words or weapons, and continue to do so

The problem remains that the indigenous people of Ireland have been asked to do WAY too much over the past decade

Now can one of you address the issues, because I understood that is what pw is for? Or Cactus, having invited me on this site, would you prefer I stop posting?

The point of this forum is for differing views to be exchanged. Everyone here is welcome to post, provided the posts are legal and within the site rules.

There are a lot of things you post that I agree with erigena, but ironically, they are about mainly about closed circles and how corrupting and negative they can be. Where I part company is on race issues. I have a different standpoint and while I enjoy the differences of different cultures, and I support peoples' right to national self-determination I'm not worried about cultural mix and change.

Where do you stop the clock ? Society is always changing.

A lot of Polish and African people stood in the local elections.

So far as I know, they all stood in established parties or as independents.

Rich
12-04-2010, 09:29 PM
From 2004-7, I had a set of papers accepted at Irish studies conferences, some of which financial considerations stopped me from attending. I also spoke at some of the better American universities during this period on the same subject; what I predicted was the imminent financial, moral, and cultural collapse of the ethnic project we call the “republic of Ireland”. On foot of this, I* wrote a book called “Ireland; a colony once again” whose publication has been delayed mainly because of having to deal in my professional life with the fetid, yet gargantuan corruption at the core of the Irish state. En route, I* have come to see this state as not just a colonial force directed against the Irish people in the name of various ideas like neoliberalism, but as effectively genocidal.

Both seem radical contentions, unless of course the latter seems simply ridiculous and downright barmy. For a first line of defence, I could perhaps point to the fact that Dublin has been a colonial centre for much of its recent history; first, undoubtedly, for the British and now – with well over 70% of our “native” legislation actually comprised by EU directives – for the neoliberal dispensation authored by the EU, WTO, and other such bodies. One could also point to the theocratic experiment from c. 1935-1970 that we are still recovering from, and the brief flirtation with neoconservatism from 2002to 2004. Yet it is the genocidal idea that attracts me more.

“Genocide” was coined by Lemkin as a term to* describe, not necessarily the physical extinction of a people, but wiping away by any means necessary all trace of them from the earth. According to its adoption in international law in 1948, no-one need be killed; the core notion in the term “genocide” is wiping the footprint of a people from the earth. Up to this point in 1948,* international law allowed a state treat its people like a* farmer treats his chickens. Now there is a really high mountain to climb; I* am going to argue that a state whose highest levels consist almost entirely of Irish indigenes are nevertheless actively conniving in the genocide of the Irish.

1.Since 2008, the government's policies have been carefully calibrated to ensure massive emigration (due to unemployment) of the native Irish, while maintaining the failed neoliberal experiment incarnated above all in a disastrously corrupt banking sector.
2.At the same time, massive immigration has been encouraged, with the immigrants receiving many benefits denied to the native Irish. Any criticism of this results in epithets of “racism” and prosecution by stater bodies.
3.An assault has been performed on sites of enormous archaeological significance like Tara, with the govt showing a willingness to destroy any protectors, both legally and physically.
4.Natural resources are being privatized , as exemplified by shell in Mayo, with the state's armed forces acting as Shell's private army
5.The Irish establishment profit enormously from all these developments; indeed the current minister for transport allowed the the private firm behind the* most controversial road development (beside Tara) to share office space with his dept.
6.Historically, revisionism has become de rigeur. Indeed, our foreign-born current President (who learned Spanish at the expense of Gaelic at school) spends a great deal of her time debauching the military projects of the Irish like the anti-Tudor* uprising
7.An assault on the musical culture of Ireland culminated in a suspended* privatization attempt in the 1990's In the meantime, the government and national broadcaster has promoted boy bands and chick lit* as official national culture. In the meantime, scam artists are preferred over genuine musical artists, and* - exemplified by a recent US federal court case – the Irish state is the only state that allows dissolved companies to continue to steal copyrights, as well as trade openly with the approval of the state's export bodies
8.The major media disproportionately put foreign-born models on their covers to exemplify a changing of the guard

Am I over-reacting? I really hope so. In the meantime, one of the few resources we can access are such indigenous declarations as that in the UN (1993) or Seattle (1999)

http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/2005/15/images/fig63.jpg

5intheface
12-04-2010, 09:34 PM
http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/2005/15/images/fig63.jpg

That image is unbelievable. The man obviously has a large library of books yet he chooses several travel guides for european cities for reading material during his time in the bunker. Surely something by Truman Capote or the Annals of the Four Masters?

Rich
12-04-2010, 09:39 PM
That image is unbelievable. The man obviously has a large library of books yet he chooses several travel guides for european cities for reading material during his time in the bunker. Surely something by Truman Capote or the Annals of the Four Masters?

Maybe he wants to get the F out of where ever he is at the moment :)

Anyway I have now changed my mind

CAVALRY FORWARD

(BTW 5, the Cruiskeen Lawnmower is AWESOME)

http://myownpetard.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/bear-cavalry.jpg

5intheface
12-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Maybe he wants to get the F out of where ever he is at the moment :)

Anyway I have now changed my mind

CAVALRY FORWARD

http://myownpetard.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/bear-cavalry.jpg

I respect your right to bear arms.

erigena
11-03-2011, 06:25 AM
I respect your right to bear arms.

Somebody just went and did it;

http://events.berkeley.edu/?event_ID=40955&date=2011-03-10&tab=all_events

Can we now have a rational discussion on this theme?

Kev Bar
11-03-2011, 05:28 PM
No you weren't. Even gruntled Nordies would take exception to that.

One of many grunts.

Starting with a very loose and messy interpretation of the work of Walter Lempkin and ending with the killer idea of Louis Brother Number One Walsh

But a testament to the fact that if we are not been driven off the face of the map, it seems we are being driven infcukinsane.

Kev Bar
11-03-2011, 05:34 PM
But if you want rational debate....fine.

Foreign Born Models on the covers of mags?????

Are you trying to tell me you have not had your surfeit of looking at Rosanna Davidson?

(What speciific benefits benefit immigrants over indigenous...outside of the asylum seekers' 19 quid a week?)

Sam Lord
11-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Somebody just went and did it;

http://events.berkeley.edu/?event_ID=40955&date=2011-03-10&tab=all_events

Can we now have a rational discussion on this theme?

I was wondering what "genetic belonging" means ;

".. de-financialization of the economy are to be coupled with a re-emphasis on cultural and indeed genetic belonging for the resident and diasporic Irish."

C. Flower
13-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Genetic belonging is not how we evolved.

"Fluid societies powered human evolution"

Openness of hunter gatherer groups to new people was their greatest evolutionary advantage, according to this New Scientist article.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20230-fluid-societies-powered-human-evolution.html

james
14-03-2011, 01:40 AM
From 1800 to 1922, Ireland was not
a colony.
It was part of the United Kingdom.
The 'settlers' had largely arrived
well before these dates...........

The 'New Irish' of the Noughties
have, for the
most part, greatly
enriched our state..........

erigena
14-09-2012, 04:48 PM
The point of this forum is for differing views to be exchanged. Everyone here is welcome to post, provided the posts are legal and within the site rules.

There are a lot of things you post that I agree with erigena, but ironically, they are about mainly about closed circles and how corrupting and negative they can be. Where I part company is on race issues. I have a different standpoint and while I enjoy the differences of different cultures, and I support peoples' right to national self-determination I'm not worried about cultural mix and change.

Where do you stop the clock ? Society is always changing.

A lot of Polish and African people stood in the local elections.

So far as I know, they all stood in established parties or as independents.

Hi CF

the book is now out.......http://www.c-s-p.org/flyers/Ireland--A-Colony-Once-Again1-4438-4085-8.htm

E

fluffybiscuits
15-09-2012, 12:58 AM
Ireland: A Colony Once Again: Amazon.co.uk: Sean O. Nuallain: Books

£47 ! are you not being excessive with the price!

erigena
15-09-2012, 05:29 PM
Ireland: A Colony Once Again: Amazon.co.uk: Sean O. Nuallain: Books (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ireland-A-Colony-Once-Again/dp/1443840858/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347667074&sr=8-1)

£47 ! are you not being excessive with the price!

I have no choice in the matter and am happy to discuss the issues here...........

Sam Lord
15-09-2012, 06:58 PM
I was wondering what "genetic belonging" means ;

".. de-financialization of the economy are to be coupled with a re-emphasis on cultural and indeed genetic belonging for the resident and diasporic Irish."

Any chance of an answer to my previous question?

d.vader
15-09-2012, 11:13 PM

Yep, 'a colony once again' definitely on to something there, althought I've come to the conclusion that the ROI was always just a neo-colony anyway. However even the vestiges of dissimulation are being blasted away now.
And, yes, the metropolis continues to act as a colonial focal point although at this stage the geographical location is irrelevant.
As an aside, let's not forget that the old parliament building continues to be occupied by the BOI. This is a small but significant example of what we're talking about.
In conclusion erigena, political incorrectness doesn't go down too well around these parts (but I'm sure you won't be too bothered by that!).

C. Flower
15-09-2012, 11:25 PM

It surely is.

C. Flower
15-09-2012, 11:36 PM
Any attempts at defining Irishness genetically would result in a new partition of the Ireland from north east to south west - there has been a genetic divide found between a distinctly older established population on the western side, with a population genetically closer to Wales and England on the east of the line. Of course, there are many exceptions, both sides.

There is a person called Bob Quinn who has written books that passionately expound the theory that the Irish (west of the line it seems) are descended from the North African Phoenicians.

It seems as good a theory as any I've seen and better than most.

Lapsedmethodist
16-09-2012, 11:40 PM
It surely is.

No. " It is surely ".

And if Ireland is being colonised it's by people like this eejit :-

http://9thlevel.ie/2009/12/11/e1-2m-bill-for-taxpayers-as-dcu-loses-dismissal-case/

...spouting psychobabble.

Slim Buddha
17-09-2012, 01:58 PM
From 1800 to 1922, Ireland was not
a colony.
It was part of the United Kingdom.
The 'settlers' had largely arrived
well before these dates...........

The 'New Irish' of the Noughties
have, for the
most part, greatly
enriched our state..........

That is a highly debatable contention. What evidence do you base this on?

Captain Con O'Sullivan
17-09-2012, 03:55 PM
It is a given. A Shay Given.

erigena
17-09-2012, 04:38 PM
That is a highly debatable contention. What evidence do you base this on?

I agree - he does not have evidence

The "famine"/genocide exemplified a situation that was COLONIAL nit that of union

Secondly, please please and Irish person to serve me a coffee in Dublin sometime soon?

Richardbouvet
17-09-2012, 05:02 PM
Erigena, will the coffee be better because an Irish person served it to you? Doubt it somehow.

erigena
17-09-2012, 05:24 PM
Erigena, will the coffee be better because an Irish person served it to you? Doubt it somehow.

Really - do we have to make a case that this country is first of all for us and then for others?

Particularly given that the globalization thing failed so badly?

fluffybiscuits
18-09-2012, 12:08 AM
Really - do we have to make a case that this country is first of all for us and then for others?

Particularly given that the globalization thing failed so badly?

So I presume you dont want your Basque/Norman/Viking/Anglo/Celtic/North African genes then?...:rolleyes:

Nationality, a simple concept for mostly simple men with no concept of their place in humanity...I despair sometimes...

erigena
18-09-2012, 04:54 PM
So I presume you dont want your Basque/Norman/Viking/Anglo/Celtic/North African genes then?...:rolleyes:

Nationality, a simple concept for mostly simple men with no concept of their place in humanity...I despair sometimes...

Well, most of us live lives of quiet desperation?

Particularly if you can't see the deliberate destruction of an ethnicity which of course is NOT a genetic concept?

fluffybiscuits
20-09-2012, 12:11 AM
Well, most of us live lives of quiet desperation?

Particularly if you can't see the deliberate destruction of an ethnicity which of course is NOT a genetic concept?

Your culture as you know it is constantly evolving, this idea that you somehow have some sort of sacrosanct isolated Irish culture is an idea beyond ridiculous. The constant evolution of culture is a natural phenomenen with the world becoming more globalised its going to happen. Based on the concept of culture and attitude we would have to bar the internet and scrap outside influences. Dont let me stop you munching on soda bread reading books about the 800 years of English occupation while you tap your foot to the Chieftans or some other toor eye diddley eye outfit. From me sitting here our culture is changing and this is exciting. Seeing the evolution of the Hiberno English language, the incoming electronica influence on our music etc . Culture in Ireland is constantly evolving and always will do. If the only culture you want is a yeast infection somewhere under yer armpits be my guest...;)

erigena
22-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Actually the "sacrosanct isolated Irish culture" was FF's ripping us off.

In particular they stole from Irish musicians - it's discussed at great length on this site - and justice had to be sought in the USA as FF aborted all the Gardai investigations;

http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/california/candce/4:2009cv03580/228656/68/0.pdf

Btw, never could stand the Chieftains - but here's a question

Can you name all the brilliant Ireland-based Polish and nigerian bands making such a an impact in this multicultural Ireland?

Can you name any making an impact anywhere?

Your culture as you know it is constantly evolving, this idea that you somehow have some sort of sacrosanct isolated Irish culture is an idea beyond ridiculous. The constant evolution of culture is a natural phenomenen with the world becoming more globalised its going to happen. Based on the concept of culture and attitude we would have to bar the internet and scrap outside influences. Dont let me stop you munching on soda bread reading books about the 800 years of English occupation while you tap your foot to the Chieftans or some other toor eye diddley eye outfit. From me sitting here our culture is changing and this is exciting. Seeing the evolution of the Hiberno English language, the incoming electronica influence on our music etc . Culture in Ireland is constantly evolving and always will do. If the only culture you want is a yeast infection somewhere under yer armpits be my guest...;)

erigena
23-09-2012, 06:10 PM
The music;

http://www.politicalworld.org/showthread.php?t=4128

and

http://davemarsh.us/?p=951

FF in excelsis

Actually the "sacrosanct isolated Irish culture" was FF's ripping us off.

In particular they stole from Irish musicians - it's discussed at great length on this site - and justice had to be sought in the USA as FF aborted all the Gardai investigations;

http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/california/candce/4:2009cv03580/228656/68/0.pdf

Btw, never could stand the Chieftains - but here's a question

Can you name all the brilliant Ireland-based Polish and nigerian bands making such a an impact in this multicultural Ireland?

Can you name any making an impact anywhere?

Apjp
23-09-2012, 09:21 PM
While petty extremism is to be avoided, there's no doubt that the fact that sovereignty is an 'extremist' notion these days gives a platform to the likes of Erigena who seem intent on blaming immigrants for a crisis caused by rich bankers and their political pals and media collaborators, not just in Ireland but all over the World. People like Erigena are to be pitied. They stay here their whole lives and blame everyone else for their problems just because a Nigerian talks loud on the phone on their bus or because their colleagues are Polish.

Mind you Fluffy I would not be too internationalist for fear of giving into a globalized world. Our right to determine our own national destiny is not something we should give up lightly, but there are of course much better ways to assert that right than blaming other oppressed people.

What would make you laugh is the fact that the Irish are in fact an emigrant people and idiots such as the author of this thread spout their racist nonsense which is not just small minded, but hypocritical. We are desperate for a Republican movement in this state. We don't need to be dragged back to the 17th century.

fluffybiscuits
24-09-2012, 02:21 PM
The music;

http://www.politicalworld.org/showthread.php?t=4128

and

http://davemarsh.us/?p=951

FF in excelsis

A rant about Bono, what has that to do with the price of turnips?

While petty extremism is to be avoided, there's no doubt that the fact that sovereignty is an 'extremist' notion these days gives a platform to the likes of Erigena who seem intent on blaming immigrants for a crisis caused by rich bankers and their political pals and media collaborators, not just in Ireland but all over the World. People like Erigena are to be pitied. They stay here their whole lives and blame everyone else for their problems just because a Nigerian talks loud on the phone on their bus or because their colleagues are Polish.

Mind you Fluffy I would not be too internationalist for fear of giving into a globalized world. Our right to determine our own national destiny is not something we should give up lightly, but there are of course much better ways to assert that right than blaming other oppressed people.

What would make you laugh is the fact that the Irish are in fact an emigrant people and idiots such as the author of this thread spout their racist nonsense which is not just small minded, but hypocritical. We are desperate for a Republican movement in this state. We don't need to be dragged back to the 17th century.

I always favoured an international approach. My post on open borders is an example of my position but a globalised world with some self autonomy and smashed open borders would create the perfect world. All these notions of culture (what is Irish culture? gombeenism, messed up banks and GAA with a dash Bono). You are right we do have an onus to determine our self destiny but we should also just let humanity do it! A Republican movement here needs to reform and throw out some of the wizzened old faces that pollute it and give Mary Loo less air time and they may have some vote getters then ....

erigena
24-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Actually, I have been an involuntary emigrant most of my adult life

If you read the book - or even these posts - you will see I am not in the slightest bit racist

What I insist is that the state's attack on irish ethnicity will NOT go unanswered

erigena
24-09-2012, 05:44 PM

actually it's the first ever expose of U2's business practices,a nd led to bannings from p.ie but in the USA we have the first amendment

fluffybiscuits
24-09-2012, 05:45 PM

If you read the book - or even these posts - you will see I am not in the slightest bit racist

What I insist is that the state's attack on irish ethnicity will NOT go unanswered

Right so without flogging your book answer me this...

How does the "irish ethnicity" using your turn of phrase go answered?

*Sits back with pop corn*...

fluffybiscuits
24-09-2012, 05:46 PM

Sour grapes?

erigena
24-09-2012, 08:46 PM
Sour grapes?

Am still waiting for lists of all these brilliant immigrant bands, writers etc

no doubt i will be jealous as hell then

Apjp
24-09-2012, 09:52 PM

I always favoured an international approach. My post on open borders is an example of my position but a globalised world with some self autonomy and smashed open borders would create the perfect world. All these notions of culture (what is Irish culture? gombeenism, messed up banks and GAA with a dash Bono). You are right we do have an onus to determine our self destiny but we should also just let humanity do it! A Republican movement here needs to reform and throw out some of the wizzened old faces that pollute it and give Mary Loo less air time and they may have some vote getters then ....

There you are. By accepting the inevitability of globalisation, you dilute your desire for Irish sovereignty. This is what I am warning about. Globalisation is a neo-liberal concept designed to destroy culture, social solidarity, the concept of self determination and make us all robots. In a globalized world, where we accept its inevitability there can be no self autonomy at all. Castro got one thing right-we should wait patiently for globalization to collapse, but we should also have a plan for ourselves first and foremost when it does. Your ideals on very open borders I welcome to an extent, but we should not lose track that each country must look after its own people, Irish and immigrant citizens resident within Ireland, before others.

fluffybiscuits
26-09-2012, 03:53 PM
Am still waiting for lists of all these brilliant immigrant bands, writers etc

no doubt i will be jealous as hell then

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=10&ved=0CGUQFjAJ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tcd.ie%2Fsociology%2Fassets%2 Fdocs%2FPolish%2520migration%2520to%2520Ireland%25 20-%2520A%2520literature%2520review.pdf&ei=nxVjUNqsL4mQhQeNsoDoDg&usg=AFQjCNG3JwRbD1X0cgat29wx_PKaOaTR0g

Page 21 of the document

Have you also seen the shops along Talbot St? The new foods and beers?

The Polish film festival in the IFI?

Do we stop at the Polish ? How about Afro Celt Sound system? How about the Nigerians?

http://www.nigeria-planet.com/nig_nigerians_in_ireland_are_wonderful_says_akinjo bi.html

I think your insular little world just had its walls shuddered....:rolleyes:

erigena
30-09-2012, 04:51 PM
http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=10&ved=0CGUQFjAJ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tcd.ie%2Fsociology%2Fassets%2 Fdocs%2FPolish%2520migration%2520to%2520Ireland%25 20-%2520A%2520literature%2520review.pdf&ei=nxVjUNqsL4mQhQeNsoDoDg&usg=AFQjCNG3JwRbD1X0cgat29wx_PKaOaTR0g

Page 21 of the document

Have you also seen the shops along Talbot St? The new foods and beers?

The Polish film festival in the IFI?

Do we stop at the Polish ? How about Afro Celt Sound system? How about the Nigerians?

http://www.nigeria-planet.com/nig_nigerians_in_ireland_are_wonderful_says_akinjo bi.html

I think your insular little world just had its walls shuddered....:rolleyes:

Afro-celt SS is fronted by Iarla and is gone dormant

No sign of any of those Polish-Irish films; you mean that we now assimilate Polanski?

<ModCF>....and none of these itmes are picking up ANY international mo

Tho it would be good to see why the Irish state is subsidizing this and stealing from their own.........

fluffybiscuits
30-09-2012, 10:16 PM
Afro-celt SS is fronted by Iarla and is gone dormant

No sign of any of those Polish-Irish films; you mean that we now assimilate Polanski?

<ModCF>....and none of these itmes are picking up ANY international mo

Tho it would be good to see why the Irish state is subsidizing this and stealing from their own.........

Really are they quiet?

http://www.afrocelts.us/viewtopic.php?t=164

BTW The Irish men are really taking a liking to the Polish women...

http://www.irishcentral.com/roots/Foreign-women-love-Irish-born-men-101460959.html

€47 for a book!!

erigena
01-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Really are they quiet?

http://www.afrocelts.us/viewtopic.php?t=164

BTW The Irish men are really taking a liking to the Polish women...

http://www.irishcentral.com/roots/Foreign-women-love-Irish-born-men-101460959.html

€47 for a book!!

Once again; unless self-published, authors hand over their ms and have no control afterward; the situation here. If self-published,, they are liable to get vanity press slagging

Irish men, like men everywhere who are not gay, like women

Afro-Celts took a hiatus while Iarla recorded "seacht" (means 7)

fluffybiscuits
04-10-2012, 10:41 PM
Once again; unless self-published, authors hand over their ms and have no control afterward; the situation here. If self-published,, they are liable to get vanity press slagging

Irish men, like men everywhere who are not gay, like women

Afro-Celts took a hiatus while Iarla recorded "seacht" (means 7)

http://www.demotivationalposters.org/image/demotivational-poster/small/1002/stating-the-obvious-stating-obvious-fur-degree-demotivational-poster-1265359207.jpg

erigena
21-10-2012, 11:40 PM
CSP has put up a Free excerpt in link from

http://www.c-s-p.org/flyers/Ireland--A-Colony-Once-Again1-4438-4085-8.htm

DCon
01-11-2014, 05:52 PM
Boris says we are fortunate to have been ruled by the English crown

Boris Johnson has suggested that countries that “haven’t had the benefit of British rule” are now “less fortunate” while discussing wartime leader Winston Churchill’s attitude to the former empire.

"He [Churchill] would have been slightly amazed that we have a different regime for immigration purposes for people coming from Australia, New Zealand and Canada than we do for people coming from Croatia and Germany and everywhere else that fought against us in the Second World War," he is quoted as saying by Huffington Post.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/boris-johnson-says-less-fortunate-countries-have-had-not-had-benefit-of-colonial-rule-9833222.html

morticia
01-11-2014, 06:49 PM
URL]

This is just the sort of arrogant h0rsesh!t that has even me (a protestant with UK relatives and an English husband) instantly wanting to go join the (fortunately now disbanded) IRA.

And just to rub extra hot chilli peppers in my (republican nationalist) wounds, the phecker will no doubt benefit from this hugely at the polls from other bl00dy colonial supremacists who might otherwise be voting UKIP

Pass the effing bucket. Aaarrrggh.

What is worse, he'll be unseating Dave shortly. Don't say I didn't warn you.

fluffybiscuits
08-11-2014, 01:42 PM

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/boris-johnson-says-less-fortunate-countries-have-had-not-had-benefit-of-colonial-rule-9833222.html

To think this man has been touted as a possible successor for primeministr...cringe

morticia
08-11-2014, 02:37 PM
To think this man has been touted as a possible successor for primeministr...cringe

I would suspect a year or two of him as PM might give SF an all island overall majority, alright. 😖😡😉

Apjp
08-11-2014, 05:02 PM
In fairness he's only saying what a lot of British politicians, all parties, all academics, the media, and consequently many 'Native' Brits-that's to say, English-already think.

A country that worships Churchill, Guy Fawkes Night and Lloyd George as opposed to Clement Atlee is a country that worships empire.

For some reason some of them here think Guy Fawkes night is celebrated in the North. I explained to them what an Ulster bonfire is like, and waht it burns.

The really disgusting thing though is Northern Unionists feel hard done by and this has led to further retrenchment, sectarianism, other forms of racism in the North as we know, and widespread Hibernophobia being entrenched despite British Rule being secure as long as they want it. The BBC doc of late got that part right at least(while glossing over British acts of war), that Unionists' dismay at some moderate form of equal government is baffling and a bit disturbing.

morticia
08-11-2014, 05:19 PM
You are absolutely right on all fronts there. The imperialism is very hard to stomach, having gone through Irish history lessons in an Irish school.