PDA

View Full Version : 32"/37" Are we all finished?

Spectabilis
10-05-2011, 11:32 PM
There is a new health campaign on RTÉ. It shows very slim people being measured around the waist to see if they meet the 32" (for females) or 37" for males maximum for health.

Sweet divine. My waist measurement has always been in an almost 1:1 ratio with my age. Am I dying?

morticia
10-05-2011, 11:36 PM
Ignorance is bliss....I've lost me measuring tape.

Anyway, does 32" count for women who are the MALE average height ??

And if you're 6ft6, I'd imagine 37 inches probably means you're anorexic?

How does this fit with BMI?....oh hang on, that involves a formula...too complicated for us, do they think??

Ah Well
10-05-2011, 11:40 PM
what's male average height these days btw .... young fellas seem to be getting taller all the time :(

Griska
10-05-2011, 11:41 PM
37"?
I'm underweight so!

Wonderful.
Fried chicken in our house for a month :cool:

morticia
10-05-2011, 11:43 PM
what's male average height these days btw .... young fellas seem to be getting taller all the time :(

5ft 7-8ins in the late 1980s, but as you say....

Spectabilis
10-05-2011, 11:47 PM
I am taking comfort that I am taller than the average male height.

Have you ever had that experience of standing up (usually in church) and feeling that you are still standing up when everyone else has stopped? For my generation I am tall. Not much relation to the waist measurement apparently. As for BMI, I don't even have that ratio of age to BMI any more.

The health fascists are triumphant

Fing Fers
11-05-2011, 12:47 AM
Alright so all those athlete's and sports people around the globe who've got a waist below 32" / 37" are now deemed unhealthy? Is there any more details on this or is the crew in RTE more stupid than stupid?

I had two different medicals last year, one here one overseas everything was checked out during both and I passed both. Its height / weight, heart, lungs, strength and mobility that counts nothing to do with waist.

Must be too many overweight people lurking around RTE so they decided to come up with some rubbish idea about health to make themselves feel better.

Quick google brings a healty waist is less than 37", dont tell RTE went and got it wrong?

Spectabilis
11-05-2011, 01:44 AM
No, you are right. 32" maximum waist measurement for females. 37" maximum for males.

You are still among the angels I think

Captain Con O'Sullivan
11-05-2011, 06:35 AM
Hey- thats no good. I'm grand as regards the limits but I like to go out with a fine stout lass in the winter and send her to bed first and then roll her out of the warm side. Where does that leave me?

A girl with a 32" waist is all very well in May or June but I've yet to see one of those able to hold up the car while I am fitting a spare tire in the rain in winter or lift a sick calf over a hedge.

No. Sorry. It won't do.

Baron von Biffo
11-05-2011, 09:58 AM
There is a new health campaign on RTÉ. It shows very slim people being measured around the waist to see if they meet the 32" (for females) or 37" for males maximum for health.

Sweet divine. My waist measurement has always been in an almost 1:1 ratio with my age. Am I dying?

If you are, your friends wont be fighting to carry your coffin :)

Ah Well
11-05-2011, 10:06 AM
If you are, your friends wont be fighting to carry your coffin :)

They won't be able to anyway if it were in Cork and the Council gets its way

http://www.southernstar.ie/article.php?id=2590

morticia
11-05-2011, 10:16 PM
Measured waist, finally. Think it is on 32" exackerly. (measuring tape somewhat frayed)

Does that make me fat or skinny?? bloody hell, screw RTE, I'm not giving up chocolate.

besides, cheer up folks, as a pal of the other half used to say "I like a bird wiv 'andles"

Just as well some do, since RTE has decided we're all lard balls.

Baron von Biffo
11-05-2011, 11:32 PM
Quick google brings a healty waist is less than 37", dont tell RTE went and got it wrong?

RTE has decided we're all lard balls.

Don't shoot the messenger. RTE are not making any claims, they're just reporting the campaign.

http://www.safefood.eu/

Griska
12-05-2011, 02:16 PM
Don't shoot the messenger. RTE are not making any claims, they're just reporting the campaign.

http://www.safefood.eu/

Can't we shoot them anyway? ;)

Baron von Biffo
12-05-2011, 03:09 PM
Can't we shoot them anyway? ;)

Only if I get to flag the first targets :)

Spectabilis
12-05-2011, 03:51 PM
Measured waist, finally. Think it is on 32" exackerly. (measuring tape somewhat frayed)

Does that make me fat or skinny?? bloody hell, screw RTE, I'm not giving up chocolate.

besides, cheer up folks, as a pal of the other half used to say "I like a bird wiv 'andles"

Just as well some do, since RTE has decided we're all lard balls.

Oh, there you go boasting.:p

It doesn't make you fat or skinny, it just indicates that you are less likely to get heart disease, diabetes and other joys associated with abdominal fat. At least I think that's it. It seems this one measurement is as good a predictor on it's own as more complex sets of measurements including BMI, which involves a square root and therefore, as you say, means we couldn't be bothered:)

I am not providing a link on this as I refuse to add to the bombardment of messages telling the majority of people (and it is the majority who exceed these measurements) that they are abnormal and guilty of crimes against the common good. I will not absolve the medical profession for moving from therapeutic care to triage, testing and blaming the victims. 'Lifestyle illnesses' they are called. They are ilnesses. Not that different from blaming HIV on lifestyle.

morticia
12-05-2011, 09:09 PM
I think I'm borderline. I'm sure they'll be telling us it's 28 inches next. Healthy cholesterol used to be below 5, now its below four. Since mine was 5.2 at last testing, I'm not sure about the less likely to get clogged arteries or diabetes (I get through at least 100g chocolate a day).

Finally, the study largely ignored by the multibillion dollar healthcare industry; apparently fat and skinny couch potatoes alike had similar mortality rates; much higher than the fatties and skinnies who actually took quite a lot of exercise....

Mind you, I guess if you exercise regularly, you can be overweight allright, but rarely morbidly obese?

The other totally BS thing about this is that my waist was about 5-7 ins smaller before I had kids, but I'm still exactly the same weight as I was before (probably about a stone too heavy).....pregnancies stretch the abdominal wall without necessarily having a weight effect.

Sorry. This new rule is only slightly more useful than a chocolate teapot.........actually, I take that back....mmm, chocolate....