PDA

View Full Version : The Royal Wedding and the Slide Towards a Police State

C. Flower
29-04-2011, 05:45 PM
FIVE has just pointed out in another thread, that 50 British political pages were deleted without warning today.

We also have a thread here which looks at the policing of the visit of Queen Elizabeth to Ireland, and the policing and intelligence gathering associated with the visit.

On RTE, a reporter talked about the "heavy handed policing" on the wedding route today. I posted yesterday here about anti-Monarchist groups being prevented from demonstrating today.

Guy Aitchison reports today that there has been extremely heavy-handed and threatening policing in Britain, on the pretext of Wedding security. There are echoes of the G20 "pre-emptive arrests" of anarchists and other activists before the Montreal G20 Summit last year.

http://www.opendemocracy.net/ourkingdom/guy-aitchison/political-policing-in-britain-ahead-of-big-day

There is to be a strict zero tolerance policy towards republican thought crimes. Faced with tomorrow’s pompous medieval extravaganza, we must either wave our plastic Union Jack flags like the serfs that we are, or else keep quiet and hope we aren’t on the Met’s “political” hit-list.

For weeks, senior officers have been boasting that anyone planning to voice dissent at tomorrow’s event will be treated as a criminal with sinister warnings that officers have been ordered to “shoot-to-kill” and the Queen’s Guard empowered to impale any threat with their bayonets. With the memories of Jean Charles de Menezes and Iain Tomlinson still fresh, such warnings sound more than a little ominous. The press have gleefully collaborated with the Met in their intimidation, uncritically reporting plans for “pre-emptive” strikes against anyone suspected of being inclined to violate the “sterile areas” 1.6 kilometres around the Palace of Westminster created under the totalitarian Serious Organised Crime and Police Act introduced by Labour. In all the frenzied reporting, the words “anarchists” and “criminals” are used interchangeably to denote anyone opposed to a hereditary head of state. Ahead of the happy couple’s big day, political opinions alone are enough to get you locked up. As one “police source” chillingly put it “the same faces often reappear at different protests and we will try and take a pre-emptive strike against them."

Now we are seeing this sinister strategy put into effect. Yesterday, several squats were raided in Brighton with arrests made and in the early hours of this morning five squats across London were targeted. Two of the London squats are private residences in Camberwell which want to remain anonymous, whilst the third, Ratstar, also in Camberwell, is being used as a social centre and artistic space in agreement with the landlord. The raid against Ratstar was carried out under a Section 18 warrant to search for stolen goods, yet the TSG officers at the scene appear to have found no evidence of theft since the 14 arrests made were for the absurd crime of “electricity abstraction”. Twelve hours later, dozens of them were still searching the premises for anything incriminating. Members of Counter Terrorism Command, S015, were present at the eviction making use of spotter cards to try and identify possible suspects from March 26th.

Meanwhile, forty police were sent to raid Transition Heathrow, a community market garden, set up in opposition to the building of a Third Runway. The occupants were dragged out of their beds at 7.15 in the morning and searched. After one and a half hours, all the police could find in the deadly garden was some vegetables, chickens and bees. The fifth squat to be raided was Offmarket, an old bookshop in Hackney being used as a social centre, where one arrest was made in connection with the TUC demonstration, according to the Met. Some of those arrested have now been released with bail conditions specifying they should not enter central London until Monday, by which time the Royal Wedding and May Day will have been and gone – two birds with one stone, in the eyes of the authorities.

The doublespeak used to justify this abuse of police power is astonishing. Despite their earlier warnings in the press and the obviously contrived nature of the arrests and the warrants used, the Met have the audacity to insist that the arrests “are not specifically related to the Royal Wedding but have been brought forward ahead of the event”.

As I write this, it appears that a second wave of arrests are underway. The eccentric ex-professor Chris Knight has apparently been hauled in for breach of the peace along with actor Patrick Macroidan who has been arrested on a charge of conspiracy to cause a breach of the peace – with his executioner’s outfit as main evidence. Charlie Vietch, of the Love Police, who can often be seen at demos cracking jokes through a megaphone, has also been arrested. Presumably others have been scooped up too.

The political intent is quite clear. At vast expense to the taxpayer, the police have gone out of their way to ensure that tomorrow’s event delivers exactly what it says on the tin: a huge display of ostentation and state power used to cement people's loyalty to the establishment at a time when your average citizen - sorry - subject, is getting screwed. Assistant Commissioner Lynne Owens nailed the Met’s her colours to the mast when she told The Express “We want to make this a celebration of joy and pageantry.” If this means silencing the voices of millions of republicans in this country through aggressive acts of intimidation and abuses of human rights, then so be it.

The irony of it all is that no major protests are planned. The only one I know of is this relatively small Facebook event, absurdly dubbed the “Black Bloc” page by Channel 4 News. Most activists have rather sensibly taken the view that they’d prefer not run the risk of getting shot, bayoneted or set upon by a royalist crowd and concentrate their political energies where they can actually have an impact. Of course, if nothing does happen tomorrow - which it almost certainly won’t - the full cunning of the police’s strategy will become apparent. “Look what we can do with all these draconian powers”, they will say. “Now give us more".

The Ruritanian extravanganza of the "Royal Wedding" is being used as an occasion to wheel out and use extraordinary powers to suppress political dissent.

antiestablishmentarian
29-04-2011, 05:53 PM
They seem to have beefed up their criminal law by resorting to such laughable charges as 'conspiracy to commit a breach of the peace'. I heard that one mentioned a few times today in connection with those arrested. Breach of the peace is extremely elastic and there is no penalty for it when taken before the courts except to be tied over to keep the peace.

C. Flower
29-04-2011, 05:55 PM
They seem to have beefed up their criminal law by resorting to such laughable charges as 'conspiracy to commit a breach of the peace'. I heard that one mentioned a few times today in connection with those arrested. Breach of the peace is extremely elastic and there is no penalty for it when taken before the courts except to be tied over to keep the peace.

They would give out about this kind of thing if it happened in China or Iran.

toxic avenger
29-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Yes, ancient liberties are being hacked away given any excuse, but oooooo, ain't she luvvly, she looked like a princess, Kate, my friend Kate, who I have never met and wouldn't spit on me if I was burning alive, but she is the queen of my heart. I mean, yeah, there are some people out there who say this is all delusional mass-hysteria and the entrenchment of a sick and psychologically damaging social system of deference combined probably with a transferred communal desire to return to the maternal breast as a subconscious reaction against the fractured and dangerous society created by the rugged individualism of unfettered capitalism, but I just think they were luvvly...

Kev Bar
29-04-2011, 06:01 PM
"Conspiracy to commit a breach of the peace' - Jesus Mother of Divine ****!

"If I can't find a toilet soon, I'll have to **** on the street"...oops I've been nabbed.

Griska
29-04-2011, 06:09 PM

Arranging to meet a few mates in town could be considered "conspiracy to commit a breach of the peace".

Insane, and worrying.

antiestablishmentarian
29-04-2011, 06:16 PM
It's even worse than this. I did an English Civil Liberties Law module last year, and some of the stuff is insane: technically, an unauthorised gathering of two or more may be broken up by the cops, so if you were walking down the street with your partner, it could theoretically be considered an unauthorised gathering and broken up.

toxic avenger
29-04-2011, 06:19 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13240683

Ten people were arrested near Charing Cross, who had climbing gear and anti-monarchy placards.

So they were arrested for having climbing gear, not for actually using it?...

Griska
29-04-2011, 06:30 PM
It's even worse than this. I did an English Civil Liberties Law module last year, and some of the stuff is insane: technically, an unauthorised gathering of two or more may be broken up by the cops, so if you were walking down the street with your partner, it could theoretically be considered an unauthorised gathering and broken up.

I know, it's so draconian.
Freedom of assembly my arse.

Kev Bar
29-04-2011, 06:45 PM

Did they make a move on the red clad geek with the ditz that brought London to a standstill?

Dr. FIVE
29-04-2011, 06:45 PM

Reminds me of the Criminal Justice Act 94. Where you couldn't have more then 6 people in your garden listening to 'repetitive beats' etc

Also Pilger's Nod and a Wink (http://www.johnpilger.com/videos/a-nod-and-a-wink) doc.

So none of this is new unfortunately.

Kev Bar
29-04-2011, 06:49 PM
Reminds me of the Criminal Justice Act 94. Where you couldn't have more then 6 people in your garden listening to 'repetitive beats' etc

Also Pilger's Nod and a Wink (http://www.johnpilger.com/videos/a-nod-and-a-wink) doc.

On the subject of repetitive beats, I just noticed the nice coincidence of your number of posts.

You are going to have to stay silent not to ruin it.

antiestablishmentarian
29-04-2011, 06:50 PM

This attack on civil liberties has been ongoing since the 1980s and is directly linked to the neo-liberal economic agenda. Seems 'economic freedom' can only be protected by clamping down on political and civil freedoms.

C. Flower
29-04-2011, 06:57 PM
A journalist is tweeting about disturbances - people chanting, F your Royal Family, and some bottle throwing and police operations. I've asked him where this is happening.

They're kettling the remnants of who's left.

Ah -- Braveheart in action....

Mounted police charge revellers as bottles fly at illicit street party in Glasgow

wickedfairy
29-04-2011, 07:09 PM
just in on Twitter, dozens of sites taken off facebook jeebus.

AnonOfTheAbove Anarchists Anonymous
by INSIBILO
RT @telconews Facebook 'suspends UK activist groups' http://dlvr.it/Q7Ntd http://bit.ly/mtvn1A

morticia
29-04-2011, 07:09 PM
the other half did mention something about seeing a "republican area" being half empty...perhaps not merely because the protesters didn't get out of bed on time??

Having said that, I was over there on holiday until yesterday and everyone was going to watch it. Everyone. Sigh. No hope.

Victor Meldrew
29-04-2011, 07:28 PM
the other half did mention something about seeing a "republican area" being half empty...perhaps not merely because the protesters didn't get out of bed on time??

Having said that, I was over there on holiday until yesterday and everyone was going to watch it. Everyone. Sigh. No hope.

The meeja over there have rammed it down peoples throats, Channel 4 news was bordering on the North Korean in its propoganda.

Dr. FIVE
29-04-2011, 07:35 PM
"This is England in 2011: as the country gears up for the Wedding of Mass Distraction, police up and down the country have been bursting into squatted social centres and private homes, arresting anyone whom they suspect of having connections with the anti-cuts movement, on the pretext of preventing disorder at the happy event - sometimes seizing known protestors on the street or from their cars."

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/laurie-penny/2011/04/royal-wedding-police-arrested

C. Flower
29-04-2011, 08:08 PM
The meeja over there have rammed it down peoples throats, Channel 4 news was bordering on the North Korean in its propoganda.

Irish media has been almost has bad :(. But least we haven't been arrested for not cheering.

toxic avenger
29-04-2011, 08:23 PM
Irish media has been almost has bad :(. But least we haven't been arrested for not cheering.

Which brings to mind the 'grief police' at the Princess Diana death cult mob back in 1997 - actually punching people for not wailing or rending their garments furiously enough. The only saving grace this week is that Private Eye has not, as yet, been removed from the shelves for daring poke fun at the hysteria...

Seán Ryan
30-04-2011, 03:51 AM
My own thinking is that we're generations ahead of the British with regard to the pacification of dissent. I would say that our own media is far worse than the British or the American stenographers, who at least are cowed directly by the two repressive regimes.

Ireland has learnt to grovel and lick boots. We've grown fond of it even. Even if that boot is firmly planted on our collective neck.

Ah well...

All's not lost. Very little to lose and everything to gain. Joie de vivre!

Here's an interview with Charlie Veitch, who was released finally. Though he is to be prosecuted for thought crimes...
YouTube - Charlie Veitch out of jail discussing his arrest and the royal wedding on RT

Kev Bar
30-04-2011, 04:04 PM
"First they came for the Comedians..."

C. Flower
30-04-2011, 05:07 PM
"First they came for the Comedians..."

Then they came for the organic gardeners...:confused:

The Thought Police seem pretty random in their choice of targets.

Seán Ryan
30-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Some more of the exploits of the thought police:
YouTube - Police State Royal Wedding 29.04.2011
Read about the response to it here:
congratulations-to-the-met-for-manufacturing-a-threat-and-dealing-with-it-effectively (http://www.fitwatch.org.uk/2011/04/30/congratulations-to-the-met-for-manufacturing-a-threat-and-dealing-with-it-effectively/)

C. Flower
30-04-2011, 06:35 PM
YouTube - Police State Royal Wedding 29.04.2011 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX0AwnGfPVA)
congratulations-to-the-met-for-manufacturing-a-threat-and-dealing-with-it-effectively (http://www.fitwatch.org.uk/2011/04/30/congratulations-to-the-met-for-manufacturing-a-threat-and-dealing-with-it-effectively/)

They must have got the idea of these plain clothes police thugs from the famous Egyptian police force.

C. Flower
30-04-2011, 06:39 PM
I get the impression that they were lucky there were journalists and a camerawoman there.

Seán Ryan
30-04-2011, 07:02 PM
The Egyptian police got most of their tricks and techniques in fascism and torture from the British and the Yanks.

I agree about the possibility of roughness. Did you notice that the skinhead thug, who'd assaulted the cameraman, was ushered away out the scene by another plainclothes infiltrator?

C. Flower
30-04-2011, 08:14 PM
The Egyptian police got most of their tricks and techniques in fascism and torture from the British and the Yanks.

I agree about the possibility of roughness. Did you notice that the skinhead thug, who'd assaulted the cameraman, was ushered away out the scene by another plainclothes infiltrator?

What goes around comes around. The gang of plainclothes guys doing the rough stuff is the norm across N. Africa.
Its new to me in the UK.

morticia
30-04-2011, 08:33 PM

indeed. However, unfortunately most of the populace are at one with the meedja in wanting it shoved down their throats.

Convo between me and the mother in law (she's English, needless to say)

BBC news....and our coverage of the happy event will begin at 6am
Me: ah, for the love of God, who on earth will be getting up that early to watch it
MIL: Lots of people actually
Me: muffled, strangled groan....choking noises

Hate to say this, but people seemed evenly divided between the rabid royalists and those casual enough to tune in for the highlights, very few rabid antis.

Dr. FIVE
30-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Police raids continuing. The wedding was a pretext for repression not its cause - this is a weak state trying to head off future opposition

morticia
30-04-2011, 08:48 PM
Hate to break this to yiz, but that's been the case for quite a while. Reports were coming from people with contacts in the army, while I still lived there before 2007, that they were preparing for scenarios where the middle classes were all rioting. Seems the security apparatus were predicting a major recession long before the banksters saw it coming. Now what did they know that the banks didn't??

Commands from on high, relating to the likely recessionary effects of an oil price spike (or supply squeeze)?? Bliar and Bush (and their respective apparatchiks) knew about all this long before 2003.

Seán Ryan
30-04-2011, 09:11 PM
About sums it up really:
YouTube - THE ROYAL WEDDING KATE & WILLIAM REAL AUDIO

morticia
30-04-2011, 09:22 PM
baa-rilliant

antiestablishmentarian
30-04-2011, 10:27 PM
Here's a film about the steady erosion of civil liberties in the UK over the past couple of decades. it's interesting, even if it's produced from a right wing perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXq5F8Dus-c

It's an hour and forty minutes so be warned, it's time consuming.

C. Flower
30-04-2011, 10:35 PM
Here's a film about the steady erosion of civil liberties in the UK over the past couple of decades. it's interesting, even if it's produced from a right wing perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXq5F8Dus-c

It's an hour and forty minutes so be warned, it's time consuming.

It's happened here too, as legislation was snuck through in more affluent times by Bertie Ahern, restricting picketing rights.

C. Flower
01-05-2011, 04:35 PM
YouTube - Police State Royal Wedding 29.04.2011 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX0AwnGfPVA)

This follows up with what happened to the guy who had taken photographs of the police actions

http://4therecord.org/2011/04/30/democracy-in-the-uk/

Dr. FIVE
01-05-2011, 04:58 PM
Its seems a lot of people were released today without charge now that the kids are on their honeymoon.

C. Flower
01-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Its seems a lot of people were released today without charge now that the kids are on their honeymoon.

After being photographed, fingerprinted and having their dna taken. Great.

Dr. FIVE
01-05-2011, 09:47 PM
YouTube - Stokes Croft Tesco Riot, Michael Jackson Beat it, Police doing Moonwalk

Seán Ryan
02-05-2011, 10:16 AM
Hate to drag this thread sideways. But. This picture is about to go viral. If ever a caption competition was called for it's now :)

http://twitpic.com/4r3mes

Dr. FIVE
02-05-2011, 11:06 PM
http://www.dissensus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=58

morticia
03-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Talking of the honeymoon, why is it that they WERE going on a 2 week break, hastily changed on wedding day to a weekend away, followed by back to work for Wills??

Anything to do with the fact that flying 'em anywhere might be a bit tricky after taking ObL out??

Can just imagine Obama ringing Cammy on the 29th..."we've found him, we're going to take him out"....Dave; "NOOOOOO, NOT TODAY......I'm in Westminster Abbey...Auughh"

C. Flower
04-05-2011, 12:02 AM
Back onto topic, I just came across this blogpost by someone randomly rounded up by the Met before the Wedding on the grounds that they might have "committed a protest".

They must have been watching the way it's done in China.

http://networkedblogs.com/hhmEp

PaddyJoe
04-05-2011, 12:35 AM
Talking of the honeymoon, why is it that they WERE going on a 2 week break, hastily changed on wedding day to a weekend away, followed by back to work for Wills??

Anything to do with the fact that flying 'em anywhere might be a bit tricky after taking ObL out??

Can just imagine Obama ringing Cammy on the 29th..."we've found him, we're going to take him out"....Dave; "NOOOOOO, NOT TODAY......I'm in Westminster Abbey...Auughh"
A lot of media reports in the run up to the wedding had them spending two weeks in Jordan using as a base King Abdullah's summer palace which is reported to be an 'impregnable fortress'
Possible, I suppose. Some very lucrative arms deals to be kept sweet that direction;)

kozlov
10-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Comrade Scargill once said, thats its a democracy on their terms!:mad:

morticia
29-10-2011, 09:17 PM
Well, darlings, I have news. Royals now entering 20th century (drumroll).

Will's and Kate's first born to get the throne on primogeniture alone (an eldest daughter becomes Queen, regardless of any queue of younger brothers).

Those in line to the throne can now marry Catholics (although, I'd guess, not allowed to convert officially themselves since being the head of the CoE might be a tad awkward if one's a practicing Catholic/Muslim/Buddhist/Wiccan/whatever).

Anyway, full scoop from the UK dept of truth and enlightenment....enjoy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15489544