PDA

View Full Version : If Labour Go Into Government With FG Will They Be As Vilified as The Greens ?

C. Flower
04-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Just thinking about the coming General Election. Whether it is this summer or in 2012, its not a question of who do we put out, but who we vote in.

Joan Burton and Eamon Gilmore have both made it clear that they envisage Labour as joining a FG-led Government.

It is striking me that a Fine Gael government, given the performance so far in voting for the Banks Guarantee, from Garret Fitzgerald and Alan Dukes in relation to NAMA and in their current election promises (rescue banks and privatise every last thing of value that we own), would not be any improvement on Fianna Fail and might well be worse. If the Labour Party goes into government with Fine Gael, they will instantly have put themselves into the same position as the Green Party is in now - propping up a deeply unpopular government.

Would it be political suicide for Labour to form a coalition with Fine Gael ?

Is there not in any case a strong possibility that FG might not require Labour to form a government ?

Does Labour offer any real opposition or alternative to the status quo ?

Slim Buddha
04-04-2010, 11:46 AM
No. Labour have experience of government, it would not be with FF, Labour would have considerably more TDs than the Greens and Labour just are not as flaky as the Greens.

antiestablishmentarian
27-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Well we're over two months into the new government and so far, things don't seem promising for Labour. When they cave on this JLC proposal, as they inevitably will, they will take an absolute hammering and may slip back to the doldrums with FF in the next opinion poll.

Apjp
27-05-2011, 02:08 PM
I wonder sometimes why fgs support has risen since the election. Some people must be inconceivably thick!

Sent from my GT-I5500 using Tapatalk

Dr. FIVE
27-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Pre election Finance Bill removed any doubt about Labour.

All down hill from there.

Baron von Biffo
27-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Pre election Finance Bill removed any doubt about Labour.

All down hill from there.

The fact that Lab lacked the skill or the spine to demand Finance as a make or break in the coalition talks showed that they were entering government as underlings.

Apjp
28-05-2011, 06:33 PM
The fact that Lab lacked the skill or the spine to demand Finance as a make or break in the coalition talks showed that they were entering government as underlings.

Well fg were in govt anyways as ff will always support them with "constructive opposition". We will see interesting election results in 2 years time or so when this govt falls. Fg will lose about 30 seats as their voters go ind. And far right. The ula is sure to double its numbers as could sf to both challenge ff and overtake them and lab. At some point. However unless we have a revolution a left govt is still 5+ years away, possibly 10. Thats what makes revolution imperative as we cant wait so long. #irishrevolution #july16

Holly
29-05-2011, 10:55 AM
.... Thats what makes revolution imperative as we cant wait so long. ....

Are you proposing an armed revolution, I wonder.

Apjp
29-05-2011, 11:38 AM
Are you proposing an armed revolution, I wonder.

Are you proposing 2 line dismissive posting perpetually I wonder?