PDA

View Full Version : Study Shows That Swearing Helps Relieve Pain

C. Flower
18-04-2011, 10:54 AM
Come on, we knew that already :)

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/study-swearing-helps-sufferers-endure-pain-501739.html

Baron von Biffo
18-04-2011, 11:15 AM
This is absolutely correct. Last night I stubbed my toe and the instant I said 'Dash it that smarts!' the pain abated.

Buddha
18-04-2011, 11:56 AM
I recall when I broke my femur and the ambulance crew were watching me warily after I bit one of them on the hand as he tried to put a gas and air thing over my mouth, one of them saying to the other "ye'd never think to look at her that she'd know dem words". I taught them a few more as they manhandled me into the ambulance.

Starfire
20-04-2011, 07:12 PM
I just swear for the hell of it. ;)

Junius
20-04-2011, 08:23 PM
I don't think it's correct. Only if the pain is relatively minor can the sufferer swear. If the pain is really really bad such as in difficult childbirth the most common reaction is agonised silence as the sufferer writhes and contorts in agony but no sound emits when they try to scream for help or release.

You can see it occasionally if you watch 'One born every minute' (Channel 4) although nowadays they seem to jump in with epidurals after just a few minutes. Wish they had intervened when I was there some years back. Then, many women suffered severely for several days, especially if they went into labour on a Friday night. They were all but dead by the time the caesarian was done on Monday morning. Happened to me and my sister.