PDA

View Full Version : Home Helps Not to Hold Keys

Buddha
14-04-2011, 01:09 PM
My beloved Home Help, (HH) has been told to hand back the keys of all the houses she visits as a Home Help, unless the patient is completely bed-bound, lives completely alone and has no relatives or friends. All HHs have been duly instructed and great consternation now ensues. More, absolute fear and terror in a lot of people.

I understand the reasoning behind this new edict. Blame and suspicion should anything go missing from the house. However, there are an awful lot of people, like myself, and in even worse circumstances than me, who are in a terrible state of fear because of this new ruling, but no exceptions will be made. I phoned, I made my point, I said I would sign a document absolving HH from any break-ins or losses from my home but no.

So what's the problem Buddha. Get up out of your bed and answer the door? Your daughter lives just up the road? Yes. In normal circumstances this is true, but what about the trials that everyday life throws at one? And I am considered a young woman! But I have lain on the floor, having fallen, not able to get back onto my feet manys the time, no alarm, no phone to hand, praying to the sky fairy for help to arrive and the only help liable to come for most people is the HH. I mean, I don't want my daughter living in my pocket and she has her own life and is usually away from her home anyway.

This is so unfair on so many people who are already being punished for being ill and old, and who have no one. No one at all. Or relatives that live miles away or relatives who don't bother with them. Knowing that HH had my house key was always a comfort to me.

And let's face it. If she was a thief in the time she has been coming to me she could have had my key cut a thousand times and handed it out to every thief for miles! Another bloody stupid edict. All they had to do was ask us, the patient, what we preferred. But no. We have no say in anything, even those pertaining to our own homes. Bloody patronising fools.

Holly
14-04-2011, 01:17 PM
I recommend you get an alarm which can be worn and pressed to send a signal to your daughter should you need help.

mutley
14-04-2011, 01:24 PM
if you trust her, give her the key, assure her that in the event you are robbed or worse, she is absolved of all blame, it not like big brother is watching you or anything :cool:

Buddha
14-04-2011, 01:35 PM
if you trust her, give her the key, assure her that in the event you are robbed or worse, she is absolved of all blame, it not like big brother is watching you or anything :cool:

They have been warned they will be sacked if they hold onto an "unauthorised" key mutley. I can't put that fear onto her.

Buddha
14-04-2011, 01:41 PM
I recommend you get an alarm which can be worn and pressed to send a signal to your daughter should you need help.

I've been waiting two years for such an alarm Holly lamb. There is a shortage of funding! Only those who are of a certain age or over will get them first. Me, being considered young (hah) and not bed bound am way down the list.

The irony is that my illness all started because I was unconscious for two days on the floor of my bedroom before I was found. Had I been found sooner the ensuing months in a coma etc., might well have been avoided. Hence I suppose my fear on this one.

It's probably not logical. I understand the fear of the HSE but I am scared now.