PDA

View Full Version : Cold Fusion at last? Or more snake oil?

yehbut_nobut
27-01-2011, 12:09 AM
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-01-italian-scientists-cold-fusion-video.html

Despite the intense skepticism, a small community of scientists is still investigating near-room-temperature fusion reactions. The latest news occurred last week, when Italian scientists Andrea Rossi and Sergio Focardi of the University of Bologna announced that they developed a cold fusion device capable of producing 12,400 W of heat power with an input of just 400 W. Last Friday, the scientists held a private invitation press conference in Bologna, attended by about 50 people, where they demonstrated what they claim is a nickel-hydrogen fusion reactor...

Rossi and Focardi say that, when the atomic nuclei of nickel and hydrogen are fused in their reactor, the reaction produces copper and a large amount of energy. The reactor uses less than 1 gram of hydrogen and starts with about 1,000 W of electricity, which is reduced to 400 W after a few minutes. Every minute, the reaction can convert 292 grams of 20°C water into dry steam at about 101°C...

Sounds great, but...

Rossi and Focardi’s paper on the nuclear reactor has been rejected by peer-reviewed journals, but the scientists aren’t discouraged. They published their paper in the Journal of Nuclear Physics, an online journal founded and run by themselves, which is obviously cause for a great deal of skepticism. They say their paper was rejected because they lack a theory for how the reaction works. According to a press release in Google translate, the scientists say they cannot explain how the cold fusion is triggered, “but the presence of copper and the release of energy are witnesses.”

The fact that Rossi and Focardi chose to reveal the reactor at a press conference, and the fact that their paper lacks details on how the reactor works, has made many people uncomfortable. The demonstration has not been widely covered by the general media. However, last Saturday, the day after the demonstration, the scientists answered questions in an online forum, which has generated a few blog posts.

Is this the Italian Steorn?

youngdan
27-01-2011, 12:53 AM
I have an interest in this topic. I recently asked Wayne Green about it on my show.

Munnkeyman
27-01-2011, 01:10 AM
Impossible to figure out as the detail is very sketchy.
Is there any link to their paper?
I never trust the findings of an experiment, especially in QM/Nuclear physics, that deals in units of grams. Nickel has the highest binding energy per nucleon of any of the known nuclides, that is one of the reasons why I think this is an impossibility.
I'd say they are getting Nickel Hydroxide which they are somehow mistaking for copper.
Possibly with those outputs it could be an electro-chemical exothermic reaction rather than a nuclear fusion reaction.

A new lovers arrival
27-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Dubious to say the least.

The scientists also say that one reactor has been running continuously for two years, providing heat for a factory. They provide little detail about this case.

Anyway if one of you buy one of these, enquires can be made it would seem at info(at)leonardocorp1996.com