PDA

View Full Version : Labour Party Press Conference at 5.50 p.m.

C. Flower
23-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Here we go!

According to the Sindo @labour is the most popular party at 29%. The next Taoiseach, Eamon Gilmore will make a statement at 5.30 #ge11

bokonon
23-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Here we go!

He'll probably say nothing of consequence.

It'll go like this - he'll approve of the Green's Damascene Conversion and welcome them into the light. He'll warble on about the shameful way the Irish people are being treated by FF, whose only interest is the maintenance of the party.

He'll say that in the interests of getting a quick election, and recovering Ireland's reputation on the international stage, and restoring the people's confidence in politics, he will facilitate meeting with the government finance personnel tomorrow to draft a quick execution of the Finance Bill.

And he'll gravely warn that the MONC remains on the table until a swift timetable can be arranged.

i.e. I reckon he just wants to get his face on the 6:01 news roundup

EDIT: btw I think it's very hypocritical of the opposition to grease the FF budget into place, then to campaign against it. Surely that's yesterday's way. We don't want anymore of that kinda *****. So the opposition parties should forget the Finance Bill now and go ahead with the motion of no confidence. Then they should be honest on the stumps about what they'll do when they come into power.

This proposed kind of politicking is a very bad sign of things to come. Gilmore has quivered in anger from the opposition benches, looking very like a man who wanted to destroy the treacherous Fianna Fail administration. That administration is now on the ground, grievously injured. He should not let it back on its feet. He should pull the trigger and finish this thing.

Stephanie
23-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Another press conference?! Jesus have these people no shame.

It's like the boy who cried wolf, all these press conferences and still nothing is done... grrrr.

Dr. FIVE
23-01-2011, 05:42 PM
finance bill must be enacted this week, the dail dissolved by weekend and the election called for earliest possible date.

smh

TotalMayhem
23-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Another press conference?! Jesus have these people no shame.

The man who has no problems with his wife milking Galway County Council for 550,000 Euro and shame? I think not.

C. Flower
23-01-2011, 05:50 PM
He'll probably say nothing of consequence.

It'll go like this - he'll approve of the Green's Damascene Conversion and welcome them into the light. He'll warble on about the shameful way the Irish people are being treated by FF, whose only interest is the maintenance of the party.

He'll say that in the interests of getting a quick election, and recovering Ireland's reputation on the international stage, and restoring the people's confidence in politics, he will facilitate meeting with the government finance personnel tomorrow to draft a quick execution of the Finance Bill.

And he'll gravely warn that the MONC remains on the table until a swift timetable can be arranged.

i.e. I reckon he just wants to get his face on the 6:01 news roundup

EDIT: btw I think it's very hypocritical of the opposition to grease the FF budget into place, then to campaign against it. Surely that's yesterday's way. We don't want anymore of that kinda *****. So the opposition parties should forget the Finance Bill now and go ahead with the motion of no confidence. Then they should be honest on the stumps about what they'll do when they come into power.

This proposed kind of politicking is a very bad sign of things to come. Gilmore has quivered in anger from the opposition benches, looking very like a man who wanted to destroy the treacherous Fianna Fail administration. That administration is now on the ground, grievously injured. He should not let it back on its feet. He should pull the trigger and finish this thing.

Perhaps it's best that we know now where they stand.

Sam Lord
23-01-2011, 06:33 PM
So, did it happen ....?

TotalMayhem
23-01-2011, 06:36 PM
So, did it happen ....?

Yes, Labour outed themselves as traitors in full support of the IMF legislation. But that was to be expected...

Sam Lord
23-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Yes, Labour outed themselves as traitors in full support of the IMF legislation. But that was to be expected...

I hope they enjoy their time in office.... :D

It will probably be their last.

C. Flower
23-01-2011, 06:42 PM
I hope they enjoy their time in office.... :D

It will probably be their last.

Ruari Quinn is on the 6 News doing his damndest to convince that the Finance Bill can be passed in 24 hours.

TotalMayhem
23-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Ruari Quinn is on the 6 News doing his damndest to convince that the Finance Bill can be passed in 24 hours.

Well, he was dining with Brian and Seanie, was he not?

disability student
23-01-2011, 10:35 PM

Why all the sudden interest in the Finance bill?? Something's fishy there.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

TotalMayhem
23-01-2011, 11:39 PM
Why all the sudden interest in the Finance bill?? Something's fishy there.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nothing fishy. Comical Lenny told 'em: "No IMF legislation, no public sector wages next week. Oh, and by the way, YOU can kiss your TD salaries good-bye as well". That sure as hell got them going.

disability student
23-01-2011, 11:41 PM
Nothing fishy. Comical Lenny told 'em: "No IMF legislation, no public sector wages next week. Oh, and by the way, YOU can kiss your TD salaries good-bye as well". That sure as hell got them going.

It sounded like a blackmail to me at least as they should totally oppose IMF-EU terms on it.;)

Why not Economic treason an election issue??

TotalMayhem
23-01-2011, 11:48 PM
Why not Economic treason an election issue??

Since it was made public how Gilmore's missus ripped off Galway County Council, he's thinking twice before accusing anyone of 'Economic Treason'. And Fine Gael? They're in the same game as Fianna Fáil, just not in the same league.

disability student
23-01-2011, 11:50 PM
Since it was made public how Gilmore's missus ripped off Galway County Council, he's thinking twice before accusing anyone of 'Economic Treason'. And Fine Gael? They're in the same game as Fianna Fáil, just not in the same league.

FG and LAB are in the same bed as FF by supporting the Finance bill. Recall that they opposed it last week or so and then they made a u turn re bill. Disgusting isn't??

TotalMayhem
24-01-2011, 12:00 AM
FG and LAB are in the same bed as FF by supporting the Finance bill. Recall that they opposed it last week or so and then they made a u turn re bill. Disgusting isn't??

It isn't exactly shocking news, since both Fine Gael and Labour have expressed their desire to lick the IMF boots and to volunteer as debt collectors long time ago, have they not?

concernedparent
24-01-2011, 12:03 AM
I think that every politico running in this election is having a conniption.

They all want the Finance Bill passed before they go to the electorate so they dont have to take the blame for decisions taken.

How easy it is to say 'we didn't draft the bill or cut the shildren's allowance. It was that other shower that did it'

That just goes to show the calibre of what is being put in front of us yet again.

I wonder will they ever put none of the above as the final box on the ballot paper and give it as a legal option