PDA

View Full Version : More Presidential guff by Mc Aleese.

truth.ie
30-03-2010, 12:28 AM
Haven't spent the last number of years feeding off the trough of taxpayers money, Mary now wants to teach us how to be model citizens in a Depression.
http://news.ie.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=152823409

toxic avenger
30-03-2010, 12:30 AM
Haven't spent the last number of years feeding off the trough of taxpayers money, Mary now wants to teach us how to be model citizens in a Depression.
http://news.ie.msn.com/article.aspex?cp-documentid=152823409

Link on the blink...

EDIT- got it. She's be better placed lecturing her colleagues in Fianna Fáil on ethics before lecturing the rest of us...

Lapsedmethodist
30-03-2010, 12:34 AM
Link on the blink...

EDIT- got it. She's be better placed lecturing her colleagues in Fianna Fáil on ethics before lecturing the rest of us...

That'll be for the memoirs.... when she's free to speak her mind about what will then be a past government and not the govt. in power during her presidency.

5intheface
30-03-2010, 12:35 AM
Jackie McDonald will just have to pay his own green fees from now on.

truth.ie
30-03-2010, 12:35 AM
Ethical behaviour like this?
Her husband used State cars to travel to play golf in the K Club with a known Loyalist paramilitary/gangster.
Sometimes he'd bring influential businessmen with him also. On one occassion the Loyalist gave them all a sad story about his local football team being short of cash. They had a whip round amongst them and raised 18000 euros cash
No questions asked and no receipts. Kerching.
They also fasttracked an Irish passport for him to get around U.S visa restrictions, and made representations on his behalf.

toxic avenger
30-03-2010, 12:39 AM
Ethical behaviour like this?
Her husband used State cars to travel to play golf in the K Club with a known Loyalist paramilitary/gangster.
Sometimes he'd bring influential businessmen with him also. On one occassion the Loyalist gave them all a sad story about his local football team being short of cash. They had a whip round amongst them and raised 18000 euros cash
No questions asked and no receipts. Kerching.
They also fasttracked an Irish passport for him to get around U.S visa restrictions, and made representations on his behalf.

Ah. More of that 'building bridges' lark. Like I have said many times, there'll be a lot of half-bridges built...

ZANU-FF
30-03-2010, 12:39 AM
If Guff was saleable

we could bottle it

and our financial problems would disappear

unfortunately guff is not rare and only adds to our waste problem... :(

Xray
30-03-2010, 12:41 AM
I quite like the President to be honest, I respect her and her husband. I wish we had more like her.

Lapsedmethodist
30-03-2010, 12:53 AM
I quite like the President to be honest, I respect her and her husband. I wish we had more like her.

How very non-PC of you ! You're supposed to swop her and the DF for schools and hospitals. Being Irish, you see, we can't have both.:D

PaddyJoe
30-03-2010, 12:54 AM
http://news.ie.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=152823409

In fairness this is a speech to secondary schools girls(although fairly privileged ones, it has to be said.) Its not exactly a national call to arms.
She's not far wrong when she says that
"What happened...in our own country really is characterised by almost a complete abandonment of social concern in some quarters, a much greater concern with the self, with bonuses, with me, and not with the more general world around.
I'd put it a lot stronger that that but that is the kind of language this kind of public figure has to use. She's supposed to be the president and above the party political sphere.
Although at this stage I'm dubious about whether we really do need a president. Checks and balances and all that but if we have a presidency which is only a glorified ambassador what is the point?

Xray
30-03-2010, 12:57 AM
We need a President now more than ever, they are a very important figure in a difficult situation. If we have a hung Dail or constitional crisis we need someone intelligent and stong in place. These are dangerous times. She is a strong woman, educated well and patriotic. I am happy she is there.

Remember we directly elected her, not Cowen. She is the one minding our rule book, the Constitution. Without that we have nothing, absolutely nothing.

truth.ie
30-03-2010, 01:00 AM
I've no problem with the message, in fact I always advocated this even in the phoney boom.
I do have a problem with the messenger in this case, who cosied up to Ahern and his cartel, lived like some kind of pre Soviet Tsar in her chateau in Phoenix Park, and kept company with some very dubious characters.
There's something quite galling about someone on 100k a year plus telling the little people to be ethical, humble and prudent

PaddyJoe
30-03-2010, 01:02 AM
We need a President now more than ever, they are a very important figure in a difficult situation. If we have a hung Dail or constitional crisis we need someone intelligent and stong in place. These are dangerous times. She is a strong woman, educated well and patriotic. I am happy she is there.

Mmm, I remember that around last October she signed off on the NAMA legislation without a murmur. She could have ignited a real public debate if she had stalled and sent it back to Lenihan. I don't recall any point in the last two years where she has demonstrated her strength in any meaningful way.

Xray
30-03-2010, 01:04 AM
I see no reason why the President shoul not live in a nice house in the park. 100K is not that much money for someone with her career options to be honest. We have a country full of houses of British landlords and other nobles, sure we can share one for our head of state?

Xray
30-03-2010, 01:04 AM
Mmm, I remember that around last October she signed off on the NAMA legislation without a murmur. She could have ignited a real public debate if she had stalled and sent it back to Lenihan. I don't recall any point in the last two years where she has demonstrated her strength in any meaningful way.

Only if it was unconstitutional, I have heard to evidence that it was.

truth.ie
30-03-2010, 01:05 AM

Remember we directly elected her, not Cowen. She is the one minding our rule book, the Constitution. Without that we have nothing, absolutely nothing.She's window dressing for the Establishment. She has zero power, and will jump when asked to jump, by whoever is in charge.
Your idea of her being some kind of Defender of the Republic is naive.

truth.ie
30-03-2010, 01:10 AM
I see no reason why the President shoul not live in a nice house in the park. 100K is not that much money for someone with her career options to be honest. We have a country full of houses of British landlords and other nobles, sure we can share one for our head of state?
Sure why don't you doff the cap as well.
A monarchist would make the exact same argument regarding a Queen or King. "Defence of the Constitution" etc.
Thing is, these people will only defend the Constitution when their power or wellbeing is threatened.

Xray
30-03-2010, 01:34 AM
Sure why don't you doff the cap as well.
A monarchist would make the exact same argument regarding a Queen or King. "Defence of the Constitution" etc.
Thing is, these people will only defend the Constitution when their power or wellbeing is threatened.

Nonsense, you cant elect a King or Queen. A monarchy is a dictatorship, OK the UK model has strong elected government, but at the heart of the thing is an unelected profoundly undemocractic power structure.

I would never accept anybody appointed by birth. It is a nonsense and it is offensive to same the President is the same, if we elect a bad President that own fault and ours alone.

Some will think the current is good, some bad, thats politics. Speaking for myself, I voted for her and I like her. I like the fact that we have an Belfast woman as first citizen.

If you are essentially anti-FF in the historical sense then you are unlikely to like a FF president. I am from a FF gene pool, I feel bitterly betrayed by the current FF party and TDs etc, but I do not throw the baby out with the bath water. I like the written Constition we have and I like electing someone to sit in the park keeping an eye on it for me, all the better if it is a clever lawyer who also cares about the North.

Xray
30-03-2010, 01:35 AM
Sure why don't you doff the cap as well..

I would "doff the cap" to any elected President whether I liked them or not because it is a mark of respect to my fellow citizens that elected her. I would not "doff the cap" to some half wit blue blood scum though.

PaddyJoe
30-03-2010, 01:45 AM
Only if it was unconstitutional, I have heard to evidence that it was.

I think she could have referred the legislation to the Supreme Court to test that. Contrast with the Czech president who delayed the Lisbon treaty by refusing to sign.

Xray
30-03-2010, 02:12 AM
I think she could have referred the legislation to the Supreme Court to test that. Contrast with the Czech president who delayed the Lisbon treaty by refusing to sign.

I had hoped she would, but if there was not legal basis I dont think the courts of presedency shoudl second guess the executive no matter how idiotic they are.

I am not saying she is perfect, but I would not over do the thing. The real and justifiable anger in the country is only devalued when it is directed incorrctly. We tolerated corruption here for too long and we paid the price. We have been let down by they people we elected and by ourselves in a terrible way. They way we deal with that in a positive way will define the next era in our history. I think it can be repaired with an election, but it wont be easy. I speak as someone that use to support FF, not someone that is delighted they have failed us.

Digger Out
30-03-2010, 10:48 PM
She is FF to the backbone, and once stood for election for them. Her husband Martin once said he thought CJ Haughey was the politician he admired most.