PDA

View Full Version : Save the Waterford - Rosslare Train line?

Iarmhi Gael
29-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Just because a train line exists between 2 places - does it mean that it has to remain open if only 25 people are using it?

Yes, its sad that not more people use this line more often, but what can be done?...

RighteousAnger
29-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Convert it to a cycle track. It would be great if there were a network of off-road cycle tracks around the country. Could rebuild the cycling holiday business, which seems to be have died out in the 90s.

Pat De Baker
29-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Good Idea... I cycle 5 miles into work everyday and I'm amazed how few people do it... What is stopping the Government putting a big insentive into encouaging people to get onto their bikes.. Set up an Irish company to manufacture quality bicyles and sell them at a really rediculous rate to the people....

With the right clothing, music and weather, cycling is truely one of the best modes of transport. But you are right. Ireland has lost the cycling tourist we used always get in the 80's

In relation to this Railway line - More has to be done to market it. Wexford is very much seen as nestled with Leinster and Dublin, while Waterford is nestled with Cork and Munster. All Gaa matches are kept apart and commuters head to Dublin or Cork for work. Just because Waterford has an IT - it does not make it a viable reason alone to keep the line open. more has to be done from a top level working down to local.

C. Flower
29-03-2010, 02:25 PM
To me, the most important thing with rail lines is to keep them intact and not let any of the line or its buffer zone be sold off or built on.

The narrow gauge line from Kilmeaden to Waterford quays was ruined by building apartments over it last year.

johnfás
29-03-2010, 02:29 PM
To me, the most important thing with rail lines is to keep them intact and not let any of the line or its buffer zone be sold off or built on.

The narrow gauge line from Kilmeaden to Waterford quays was ruined by building apartments over it last year.

Indeed, very important. Was one of the things which inflated the cost of reinstating the Harcourt Street Train Line as the Luas line to Sandyford. Large parts of the track had been sold on to people simply to make their back garden a couple of feet longer. We should also be requiring tracks of land to be left open with an option to purchase in all new large development schemes around urban centres so that we don't need to do retrospective arranging to introduce new means of public transport to these new towns. Just common sense really.

endoftheworldasweknowit
02-04-2010, 12:32 AM
It seems that the Junior minister for Transport Ciaran Cuffe has already washed his hands of the line last Monday when he said that he wouldn't oppose the closure of any uneconmic line. Given that all rail lines lose money is this the end for many railways in Ireland?

C. Flower
02-04-2010, 12:38 AM
It seems that the Junior minister for Transport Ciaran Cuffe has already washed his hands of the line last Monday when he said that he wouldn't oppose the closure of any uneconmic line. Given that all rail lines lose money is this the end for many railways in Ireland?

Will he close down all the uneconomic roads too ?

Ah Well
02-04-2010, 12:56 AM
Just looking at it on the Map there's a fair distance of track involved

http://www.iarnrodeireann.ie/your_journey/intercity_map.asp

If the rail option ultimately has to cease then as someone suggested installation of a cycle way on the route merits consideration. Most certainly the route should be retained. The concept of Greenways in Ireland was being pushed some years back, these are popular in Europe and sadly lacking here. But an existing route such as the one which the rail line follows could be utilised for a Greenways project and which does not has the hassle of trying to secure access and permission over private land. The provision of a ready made cycling/walking route from Rosslare as far as Waterford for tourism purposes? Worth considering anyways.

The Beara-Breifne Way was kind of a project along such lines
http://www.beara-breifne.ie/index.php

But sadly with the shower in charge and the inability to think logically outside the box and inevitable potential lurking vested interests, I would dread to think what could/will occur.

C. Flower
02-04-2010, 12:58 AM
There's a lovely little narrow gauge track to Mohill, intact except for one bungalow half way along......

C. Flower
03-09-2010, 04:34 PM
The NTA have approved closure of the line. :{

http://www.nationaltransport.ie/news.html

Gruffalo
03-09-2010, 06:22 PM
The NTA have approved closure of the line. :{

http://www.nationaltransport.ie/news.html

It's an absolute disgrace that this line should be closed. CIÉ have done everything in their power to make this line unprofitable and thus make a case for closing it.

I provide a link to a thread on Boards.ie. On page 83 there is a letter from a former CIÉ employee outlining exactly how they do this:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055851547&page=83

More proof that this country is run by corrupt bastards.

C. Flower
03-09-2010, 06:27 PM
It's an absolute disgrace that this line should be closed. CIÉ have done everything in their power to make this line unprofitable and thus make a case for closing it.

I provide a link to a thread on Boards.ie. On page 83 there is a letter from a former CIÉ employee outlining exactly how they do this:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055851547&page=83

More proof that this country is run by corrupt bastards.

That's a good letter. Sure, didn't CIE rip up an essential bit of rail infrastructure in Dublin that jeopardised Waterford freight trains, for a property development ?

Of all the incompetent agencies we have CIE would probably take the biscuit. They have no perspective of making rail work in Ireland.
Who's on the Board, I wonder?

Gruffalo
03-09-2010, 06:29 PM
That's a good letter. Sure, didn't CIE rip up an essential bit of rail infrastructure in Dublin that jeopardised Waterford freight trains, for a property development ?

Of all the incompetent agencies we have CIE would probably take the biscuit. They have no perspective of making rail work in Ireland.
Who's on the Board, I wonder?

I dont know the make up of the board but they are not people who have the interests of the people at heart.

I hope people dont expect to see the line to Navan anytime soon. There are tolls to be paid on the M3 so they are not going to stick the people who would pay them onto trains.