PDA

View Full Version : Fianna Fail - Reshuffle, Heave or Split ?

C. Flower
26-02-2010, 10:54 AM
Back in the day (end of 2008) I predicted that there would be serious splits in Fianna Fail. My view was that its ability to be all things to all citizens would be stretched beyond the point of elasticity by the economic crisis, and in particular the crunch question of whether or not the voters should bail out the banks. I anticipated that the hardened pro-corporate right, lead by Lenihan, would part company from the softer, vote getting populists of the party.

Bar a little restlessness, there have been no serious splits so far, but the main reason for that may be that the banks issue has been long fingered. However this week NAMA comes into play, and the realisation that the 4 billion cuts were equal to last year's bank bail out, underlies seismic political shifts.

Brian Cowen has admitted that the party is in serious difficulty, but seems intent in avoiding any serious change of personel or direction.

So, will it be a reshuffle, a heave, or a split ?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/0226/1224265203988.html

Xray
26-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Cant see a split happening, most of the annoyed have left in recent years. The vast majority of those left are in tune with the leadership or ambitious enough to put up with it.

I was active in FF for years, and eventually just gave up. Most of those I had time for did likewise or just faded away. There is no passion or grass roots that is likely to rock the boat at this stage. The shock will be external in the form of weakened electoral support, the canary in the mine(the grass roots) died long ago.

C. Flower
26-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Cant see a split happening, most of the annoyed have left in recent years. The vast majority of those left are in tune with the leadership or ambitious enough to put up with it.

I was active in FF for years, and eventually just gave up. Most of those I had time for did likewise or just faded away. There is no passion or grass roots that is likely to rock the boat at this stage. The shock will be external in the form of weakened electoral support, the canary in the mine(the grass roots) died long ago.

Has the Party membership dropped then ? and are any of them going to different parties or are they just dropping out of party politics altogether ?

electionlit
26-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Has the Party membership dropped then ? and are any of them going to different parties or are they just dropping out of party politics altogether ?

Theres a large amount of 'volunteers' who wouldn't be going to meetings or the like but who come out at Election time to do their bit for the few weeks.
Certainly in Dublin these Election helpers were not out in their usual force at the Local and Euro elections.

C. Flower
26-02-2010, 04:53 PM
Theres a large amount of 'volunteers' who wouldn't be going to meetings or the like but who come out at Election time to do their bit for the few weeks.
Certainly in Dublin these Election helpers were not out in their usual force at the Local and Euro elections.

I notice that Brian Cowen's speech included a call for serious fundraising.

Either broke, or thinking of a General Election, or both ?

C. Flower
26-02-2010, 11:15 PM
I had missed this: the fissures are opening up, and it may just keep going until the party is in fragments.

A Fianna Fáil activist involved in a high-profile row with the Transport Minister Noel Dempsey has published documents, which he says show the Minister failed to investigate complaints of serious planning irregularities when he was at the Department of the Environment.

Jerry Beades, who is a member of the Fianna Fáil National Executive, came under fire from Minister Dempsey at a party meeting last night - for going on radio calling on Brian Cowen to sack six of his Cabinet ministers.

The series letters date back to the 1990s, when Beades says that he urged Dempsey to investigate alleged planning irregularities in Dublin.

A week ago Mr Beades went on national radio calling for Mr Dempsey, the Tánaiste, the Justice, Tourism and other Ministers to be sacked.

He repeated those calls at a meeting of the Fianna Fáil National Executive last night.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/beades-minister-failed-to-investigate-planning-irregularities-447867.html#ixzz0ggdPJJpg

Fianna Fail is based on distribution of the spoils of victory. There's nothing left now except for debts.

Xray
27-02-2010, 09:39 AM

in my experience just fading away, ex-ffers are not really wanted elsewhere and politics has already been tried once...

C. Flower
27-02-2010, 01:11 PM
There is every appearance that there is serious gunning for this Government going on now. It seems to me unlikely that it is emanating from FG, who surely have no real stomach for taking on the mess we are in?

So where is it coming from ?

Almanac
27-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Funny they didn't print what Dempsey said. Didn't elsewhere either.

C. Flower
27-02-2010, 02:44 PM
I get the whiff of interference, as was the case with the fall of the Reynolds Government. But maybe I am being over suspicious. There is plenty of reason for a lot of people to want to bring this Government down.

Xray
27-02-2010, 03:25 PM
I get the whiff of interference, as was the case with the fall of the Reynolds Government. But maybe I am being over suspicious. There is plenty of reason for a lot of people to want to bring this Government down.

I think you are right, but am equally unsure who is behind it. Labour is a possibility.

FF is essentially a broad coalition of interests. People like Lenehan don't get this, by narrowing the base of support they can hope to have to small businesses and banks etc I think he has permanently lost half of the partys potential supported. Added to that, he will have to share this group of voters with FG.

There is no place for anyone in FF who is also a member of a union, that is a big change. Unions like SIPTU traditionally had more FF activists than Labour ones. The may be plenty of money for FF to run an election but I cant see the grass roots coming out.

When the party moved to a situation where the leadership picked the next generation of candidates rather than local organisations the writing was on the wall.

electionlit
27-02-2010, 04:03 PM
It appears that the problems with Greece could impact us seriously as 'The Germans will refuse to bail out the rest of Europe'.
In other words NAMA wont work, bank recapitalisation wont get them lending again and Lenihans whole gamble on Anglo and the Bank Guarantees etc will fail.
Where they had thought they were being smart, they have in fact dug a far deeper hole.
Was listening to some chap on the Radio today who was saying that at some stage Ireland will default on its debts because the Germans will be sick of propping us , Portugal , Spain and Greece up.

In that case it could be anybody out to get them before they perform economic Hari Kari.

C. Flower
27-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Bertie's name is being mentioned.

I felt this was worth a thread of its own.

http://www.politicalworld.org/showthread.php?t=74

C. Flower
02-03-2010, 09:15 PM
The word is that Cullen is stepping down (in hospital with a serious back problem), Gormley is stepping down in favour of another Green - Cuffe and Brian Lenihan will surely also step down soon.

C. Flower
22-03-2010, 09:09 AM
The last week or so has seen an Beauty Pageant of wanna be Ministers popping up on Prime Time. the Vincent Browne Show etc., reportedly replicated by a stream of visits to Cowen's door. A cosmetic change at Enterprise is being talked about, with Hanafin or AN Other taking a minor role.

The Greens seem to have settled on keeping Gormley, but are pushing hard for a junior ministry for Cuffe - it was said on the Marian Finucane Show yesterday that Gormley has been phoning Cowen every day, citing an agreement made by Bertie Ahern.

It remains to be seen if Cowen will draw any of his critics in from the fold and how this will change the dynamic and capabilities of the Government.

Also expect some minor messing from Cowen in Departmental remits.

Buddha
22-03-2010, 12:44 PM
After travelling round the world for many a year, I finally came home to roost in 1981. I looked at all the political parties, joined the WP, because of the outrage I felt at the appalling education system, health system and "jobs for the boys" system. Nothing has changed, has it? And having worked in the political system since then until 2003, I doubt anything ever will. Because the people are letting the politicians away with murder. I hasten to add I do not mean murder in the literal sense, (have to protect CF) but I know the Beast, and it is easily corrupted.

electionlit
22-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Cant see Cowen going mad chopping and changing. He has a few vacant spots to fill and that should be enough to go on with without upsetting any of the existing front bench.
If he were to drop Dempsey, Dermot Ahern, Hanafin or the like he would only be making a rod for his own back.

C. Flower
22-03-2010, 04:24 PM
There are pressures from below, by anxious or frustrated back benchers and pressures from the Greens.

The Terrible Triumvirate are looking pretty worn out these days.

jmcc
22-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Cowen is a liability for FF. Coughlan is a disaster. Harney needs to be removed. Dempsey is deadwood as are a few others. There is the possibility of a heave with an some kind of veneer of Cowen still being in charge. The Greens may get a full ministership rather and some old faces may be eliminated. If Cowen doesn't remove Harney, he may be facing problems with the backbenches. As a leader, Cowen is fatally damaged and most of FF have lately come to realise this. Coughlan has to be removed as she is completely unable for the task. However being a friend of Cowen, the moron Cowen is probably going to keep her as tanaiste - this will eventually destroy Cowen as discipline in FF will break down and a lot more FFers will be going to the press rather than keeping their problems within FF. Saint Brian Lenihan is probably safe until he decides to go. Watch for moves from Conor Lenihan and Mary O'Rourke. Purely as a floating voter, I think that Cowen is a dead man walking, as are a few other front bench FFers and backbenchers need to reorganise before the next planned GE. However there is a risk, as there always is, of fragmentation and the collapse of government in the next few weeks.

Regards...jmcc

C. Flower
22-03-2010, 05:57 PM
I think most people would agree with you about the frontbench. At this stage, is being unknown and untested the best set of qualifications a politician could hope to have ?

Buddha
22-03-2010, 07:00 PM
At this stage CF, I think a boycott of a general election by the public is the only way to get the message across.

We are sick of the lot of them. If we vote for them, any of them, we will be saying, "carry on, finish the job, wreck whats left, might as well".

C. Flower
22-03-2010, 07:09 PM
I think the abstentionists should stand for election.

I also think if Cowen tries to make too small a change there will be ructions inside Fianna Fail.

Xray
22-03-2010, 08:23 PM
FF always give the voters what they want. Coming up the next election they will want a break with the past, hope and to punish those that have failed us. FF will give them all of that by getting rid of Cowen just when he has done all the dirty work of cutting wages and spending. They will also throw mary harney and the greens to the wolfs that eagerly want to punish them. Several back bench TDs already behave as if they are in opposition, in many cases they are better than the opposition at attacking government policy.

C. Flower
22-03-2010, 10:13 PM
FF always give the voters what they want. Coming up the next election they will want a break with the past, hope and to punish those that have failed us. FF will give them all of that by getting rid of Cowen just when he has done all the dirty work of cutting wages and spending. They will also throw mary harney and the greens to the wolfs that eagerly want to punish them. Several back bench TDs already behave as if they are in opposition, in many cases they are better than the opposition at attacking government policy.

You can see the hungry glint in some of the eyes.

Do you not see a heave coming ?

C. Flower
22-03-2010, 11:57 PM
Well, the IT is saying the Greens are getting a second Minister. Are they finally learning to play hardball ? At least where jobs are concerned.

Garland Names the Planets
23-03-2010, 12:12 AM
They're learning that they have nowhere to go. And with FF hemorrhaging support this might be the last time for a long time that they have a ruling party over the barrel before they go into exile

C. Flower
23-03-2010, 02:20 PM
The word on the radio channels is that Mary White will take Sargent's place - well, at least she's a farmer - Cuffe will get a role and Gormley will sit tight.
Any news on FF ?

ZANU-FF
23-03-2010, 03:03 PM
The unelected occupant of The Taoiseach's Office will be up when the Dail resumes at 3:15pm

C. Flower
23-03-2010, 03:04 PM
http://www.oireachtas.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=%2Fdocuments%2Flivewebcast%2FWeb-Live.htm

Link to the Oireachtas here - Brian Cowen will make his speech on the reshuffle starting some time in the next half hour.

johnfás
23-03-2010, 03:05 PM
I'll be delighted if he boots O'Keefe out of Education anyway.

greengoose
23-03-2010, 03:07 PM
This is really a load of nonsense! There are ministerial vacancies to be filled. Fill them I say and to hell with a reshuffle. Reshuffle = incompetents out of their depth which should be addressed in another way like in the real world; fire them!

The new boys and gals on the block will continue the rot...

ZANU-FF
23-03-2010, 03:08 PM
I'll be delighted if he boots O'Keefe out of Education anyway.

I would be more delighted if the unelected occupant of The Taoiseach's office grew a set, admitted his inabilities and announced his immediate resignation

Lifeisagame
23-03-2010, 03:08 PM
ehhh Mary Coughlan fell asleep and had to be woken up to go in for the reshuffle.:)

greengoose
23-03-2010, 03:09 PM
I would be more delighted if the unelected occupant of The Taoiseach's office grew a set, admitted his inabilities and announced his immediate resignation

Hear, hear! Mind you he wouldn't be able to check for them as the belly obscures the view! :D

Lifeisagame
23-03-2010, 03:10 PM
Killeen and Carey to cabinet

Lifeisagame
23-03-2010, 03:10 PM
White and Cuffe

C. Flower
23-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Coughlan to Ed and Science !!!
Rural Affairs Pat Carey
Tony Killeen gets Defence

C. Flower
23-03-2010, 03:21 PM
John Curran as Chief Whip.

As usual, Brian Cowen seems to be reading a speech he has not read before.

ZANU-FF
23-03-2010, 03:21 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

johnfás
23-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Coughlan to education. Good grief, we now have a Minister for Education who is worse that Batt O'Keefe. What was he thinking moving Hanafin (who has some ability) to Arts and Tourism while moving Coughlan to Education? It should be the other way round!

ZANU-FF
23-03-2010, 03:22 PM
would you look at the hungover head on Coughlan

she is a disgrace

C. Flower
23-03-2010, 03:23 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You're not alone.

Mary Coughlan appears to be falling asleep too.

C. Flower
23-03-2010, 03:25 PM
FAS to move to Social Protection Department ?? Why is it not in Ed ?

ZANU-FF
23-03-2010, 03:26 PM
the unelected occupant of The Taoiseach's office yaps about the states intention to assist indigenous business

What happened about H6 then?

C. Flower
23-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Coughlan to education. Good grief, we now have a Minister for Education who is worse that Batt O'Keefe. What was he thinking moving Hanafin (who has some ability) to Arts and Tourism while moving Coughlan to Education? It should be the other way round!

By the looks of her, she needs to be moved somewhere she can have a quiet nap.

Mary Hanafin is said to be spitting.

C. Flower
23-03-2010, 03:27 PM
All as predicted
Tony Killeen - to Defence.

C. Flower
23-03-2010, 03:28 PM
Restructuring the Department of Enterprise and Trade seems to be a costly way of relocating a Minister.

ZANU-FF
23-03-2010, 03:28 PM
I swear to ****, LOOK at the HEAD on Coughlan

sweet jeebus we are fugged

C. Flower
23-03-2010, 03:35 PM

I'm wondering how do we actually judge the performance of Ministers.

Apart from being said to have made a holy show of us at official occasions, what has Mary Coughlan actually done wrong?

What has she done, full stop ?

Are we not in fact governed in the main my invisible civil servants who move seamlessly on early retirement into lucrative company directorships ?

Someone posted Lenihan's diary on Tok! and most of it was a ceaseless round of pointless meetings. There was no space for reading anything or policy development. I presume he doesn't do any.

C. Flower
23-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Enda Kenny is speaking now and describes the new Cabinet as "a continuation of incompetence".

Kenny is talking about unemployment and emigration, transference of risk from bankers to the taxpayers. Its a pity he didn't oppose the Banks Guarantee, if that's what he thinks.

ZANU-FF
23-03-2010, 03:44 PM
I'm wondering how do we actually judge the performance of Ministers.

according to cowen we don't

cowen stated that he simply expects that 'ministers perform to the best of their abilities'

'to the best of their abilities' , thats how low cowen sets the bar

Digout
23-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Is this the best he can come up with? A promotion for Sweary Mary?

C. Flower
23-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Well, as Ned O'Keefe said yesterday, "the money is nice", so we would expect them to do their best.

Digout
23-03-2010, 03:46 PM

I bet the decision on who stays was tested by the number of pints that could be knocked back last night.

Digout
23-03-2010, 03:48 PM
How much will it cost to rebrand these new departments ?

Where is my gun?

C. Flower
23-03-2010, 03:48 PM
"You want to stick in those brown seats over there as long as you can".

Calls for an election, sort of.

Bizarre - interrupted by a welcome to a delegation from the Ukraine Parliament....

Gilmore to speak.

ZANU-FF
23-03-2010, 03:50 PM
so, if I am to follow this correctly...

FF say the future of Ireland depends on their 'smart economy'

their 'smart economy' is to be delivered through education

now the unelected occupant of The Taoiseach's office has put Coughlan in charge of Education

the buffoon who couldnt deliver 500 jobs that were being gifted on a platter is now in charge of the delivery mechanism for their smart economy

FF must love failure

Failure is the solace and goal of FF

C. Flower
23-03-2010, 03:51 PM
Gilmore calls for a political scrappage scheme.

C. Flower
23-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Tánaiste Mary Coughlan has today moved from Enterprise, Trade and Employment to the Department of Education, pending the expected Dáil approval.

Minister Batt O'Keeffe moves from Education to new Department of Enterprise, Trade and Innovation, formerly known as Enterprise, Trade and Employment.

Minister Eamon O'Cuiv has been moved from the Department of Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs to newly-created Department of Social Inclusion and Family Policy (formerly known as Dept of Social and Family Affairs).

Minister Mary Hanafin moves from the Department of Social and Family Affairs to the Department of Arts, Sport and Tourism.

Junior Minister Pat Carey is promoted to new Department of Community, Equality and Gaeltacht Affairs - formerly the Department of Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.

Junior Minister Tony Killeen has been promoted to Department of Defence.

Green Party TDs Ciaran Cuffe and Mary White have been promoted to Junior Ministries, the identity of which to be confirmed in the coming days, meaning an extra junior ministry for the Greens.

Fianna Fáil TD Sean Connick has also been promoted to a Junior Ministries.

Drugs Minister John Curran has been promoted to the position of Chief Whip.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/cowen-makes-widespread-cabinet-changes-451105.html#ixzz0j11oXeer (http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/cowen-makes-widespread-cabinet-changes-451105.html#ixzz0j11oXeer)

Baron von Biffo
23-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Delighted that Hanafin got her comeuppance for shafting the poor.

Cowen must have been rightly jarred when he came up with the idea of putting Carey in Rural Affairs?

ZANU-FF
23-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Cowen must have been rightly jarred when he came up with the idea of putting Carey in Rural Affairs?

lmao, A Dub in charge of Rural Affairs

well, I guess it makes as much sense as Coughlan in education !

ZANU-FF
23-03-2010, 03:59 PM
10/10 to Gilmore he really knows how to get a negative reaction out of the unelected occupant of The Taoiseach's office

That's twice so far that the lazy pig like beast cowen couldn't bite his tongue and bit back

C. Flower
23-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Harney remains.

Digout
23-03-2010, 04:01 PM
so, if I am to follow this correctly...

FF say the future of Ireland depends on their 'smart economy'

their 'smart economy' is to be delivered through education

now the unelected occupant of The Taoiseach's office has put Coughlan in charge of Education

the buffoon who couldnt deliver 500 jobs that were being gifted on a platter is now in charge of the delivery mechanism for their smart economy

FF must love failure

Failure is the solace and goal of FF

We need to remove this Junta. If force is needed then so be it.

Digout
23-03-2010, 04:25 PM
IS Clowen trying to **** the public off? Is the trying to goad us into action?

C. Flower
23-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Sinn Fein wants us to use what's left of the Pension Fund to help the young unemployed - jobs and foreign language, IT training and entrepreneurship supports for under 25s and start a public "Green Tech" company.

Also a public works scheme and help farm retirement to allow young people into farming.

C. Flower
23-03-2010, 04:29 PM
IS Clowen trying to **** the public off? Is the trying to goad us into action?

As yet, there has been no public demonstration specifically against this government, so far as I know. Do you think that one would get support now ?

Mary Coughlan is speaking now.

Digout
23-03-2010, 04:29 PM
Why is Mary Harney still in the government? He party has failed. Why is Mary Cocklin still in government after all the job losses she is responsible for? She ruined SRT/Ryanair, if she cant secure 500 jobs offered on a plate then how the hell can she run education? The education needed to develop a smart economy?

Clowens actions today are being viewed as an act of treason by people who care about the Republic.

Digout
23-03-2010, 04:30 PM
As yet, there has been no public demonstration specifically against this government, so far as I know. Do you think that one would get support now ?

There was over 100,000 on the streets last summer.

greengoose
23-03-2010, 04:31 PM

Mary Coughlan is speaking now.
Reading from a prepared speech.

Smart economy statistics...

C. Flower
23-03-2010, 04:33 PM
There was over 100,000 on the streets last summer.

Yes, but it was a protest against policy, not a demand for a General Election. As far as I remember, the left groups called for a one-day General Strike. That demand disappeared into thin air.

Would a one day strike result in a General Election, do you think ?

ZANU-FF
23-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Reading from a prepared speech.

Smart economy statistics...

yes, reading from a script, well done Mary, we know you didn't write it

a waster (coughlan) who has not furthered her education since she fell into her dead fathers seat at 21 is lecturing me (a life long learner) on the necessity for life long learning, as if its a new idea, or even her idea.

smart economy to be delivered by these gombeens? pack your bags.

Digout
23-03-2010, 04:36 PM
Yes, but it was a protest against policy, not a demand for a General Election. As far as I remember, the left groups called for a one-day General Strike. That demand disappeared into thin air.

Would a one day strike result in a General Election, do you think ?

Will take more than a day. A strike is def needed.

Digout
23-03-2010, 04:36 PM
yes, reading from a script, well done Mary, we know you didn't write it

a waster (coughlan) who has not furthered her education since she fell into her dead fathers seat at 21 is lecturing me (a life long learner) on the necessity for life long learning, as if its a new idea, or even her idea.

smart economy to be delivered by these gombeens? pack your bags.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/coughlans-no-einstein-after-gaffe-at-smart-economy-launch-1890227.html

ang
23-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Sinn Fein wants us to use what's left of the Pension Fund to help the young unemployed - jobs and foreign language, IT training and entrepreneurship supports for under 25s and start a public "Green Tech" company.

Also a public works scheme and help farm retirement to allow young people into farming.

It should definitely be used for these sorts of ventures.

Unfortunately Brian has it earmarked for the banks.

Digout
23-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Statement from Leo Varadkar

FÁS now split between three Departments

No Department for Employment or Jobs

Fine Gael Enterprise, Trade and Employment Spokesperson Leo Varadkar TD, who is speaking in the Dáil debate on the reshuffle this afternoon, has accused the Government of forgetting about jobs and described the reshuffle as a ‘botch job’.

“Cowen has abolished the Department of Employment. No Government Department now has employment or jobs in its title when the country is facing the worst unemployment crisis in a generation. He could have combined all employment functions including benefits paid to adults of working age to a new department of employment and benefits.

“This reshuffle is a total botch job. Responsibility for FÁS has been divided among three Departments – Enterprise, Trade & Innovation, Social Protection and Education & Skills. The troubled agency will be overseen by three Ministers who will inevitably pass the buck from one to the other.

“Instead of public sector reform, we have a Junior Minister across three Departments, combining it with his existing responsibilities as Minister of State for Labour Affairs. Alongside this we have a Cabinet committee and a new quango - a Public Service Board. What a joke.”

http://www.finegael.org/news/a/2640/article/

Rich
23-03-2010, 05:07 PM
What the hell did Garrett Fitzgerald do to Leo Varadkar? Why is he using it as term of abuse in the debate?

What a slimy piece of crap!!!!

Rich
23-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Varadkars statement was just reported on Drivetime. I hope he gets destroyed for what he said. Little rat.

Digout
23-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Varadkars statement was just reported on Drivetime. I hope he gets destroyed for what he said. Little rat.

Why? Garret came out to bat for FF in the SCAMA debate.

Rich
23-03-2010, 05:31 PM
lmao, A Dub in charge of Rural Affairs

well, I guess it makes as much sense as Coughlan in education !

O'Cuiv is a Dub. And he doesn't know that there is no "v" in Irish. ;)

C. Flower
23-03-2010, 05:31 PM

Ha! - you got there first.

Garret Fitzgerald has offered considerable support to Cowen/Lenihan in the last year. Most importantly, he, along with Alan Dukes, put his back behind NAMA when it was looking very shaky last year.

Varadkar was pointing to the enormous deficit run up by Fitzgerald.

Rich
23-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Ha! - you got there first.

Garret Fitzgerald has offered considerable support to Cowen/Lenihan in the last year. Most importantly, he, along with Alan Dukes, put his back behind NAMA when it was looking very shaky last year.

Varadkar was pointing to the enormous deficit run up by Fitzgerald.

I watched it, there was quite a bit of venom in it. Had a lash at his times articles as well.

Anyway its chemical, I'm in love with Garrett, man crush and all that.

Digout
23-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Fair play to Leo for calling it as it is.

Rich
23-03-2010, 05:43 PM
Fair play to Leo for calling it as it is.

Naw. He's a self absorbed little prat. He ruined what he had to say by the manner he said it.

Xray
23-03-2010, 06:03 PM
I am Leo fan politically, but at least he is calling it as he sees it. There is too much politiness in politics. People in the Dail need to be a bit nasty and honest. You are not in any doubt what you are voting for when you vote for Leo.

I think this re-shuffle is the end of Cowen. It will be over within months, if I was in a marginal FF seat I would make a point of taking him with me after that dogs dinner.

Digout
23-03-2010, 06:43 PM
I am Leo fan politically, but at least he is calling it as he sees it. There is too much politiness in politics. People in the Dail need to be a bit nasty and honest. You are not in any doubt what you are voting for when you vote for Leo.

I think this re-shuffle is the end of Cowen. It will be over within months, if I was in a marginal FF seat I would make a point of taking him with me after that dogs dinner.

Spot on there, the knives of any young FFers in the Dail are being sharpened tonight. Clowen is now on his last legs.

ZANU-FF
23-03-2010, 08:44 PM

nail on head again by Xray.

greengoose
23-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Spot on there, the knives of any young FFers in the Dail are being sharpened tonight. Clowen is now on his last legs.

Sorry Digout, the knives will stay blunt. These scoundrels will be on the dole after the next election so they will not be to anxious to hasten things. It's all about money.

C. Flower
24-03-2010, 09:17 AM
Not so sure, greengoose.
The Parliamentary Party meeting this morning is being tipped to be "stormy":

There could be stormy scenes at today's Fianna Fáil Parliamentary Party meeting in the wake of yesterday's Cabinet reshuffle.

A number of backbenchers are furious at the demotion of Mary Hanafin and are expressing disquiet at the Tánaiste heading up the Department of Education.

Yesterday Brian Cowen told the Dáil his reshuffle will bring a fresh focus on Government and in an email to supporters last night vowed his new team will drive job creation.

However, the Taoiseach could face a backlash from within as his reshuffle appears to have gone down like a lead balloon.

Many backbenchers were willing to criticise it last night on the basis of anonymity.

Brian Cowen is being described as a "lot soul" with many believing this reshuffle has made him even more enemies.

One told the Irish Independent it was a "total disaster", and some felt Brian Cowen has just made a bad situation worse as the Cabinet team is out of touch with people.

The demotion of Mary Hanafin hit a raw nerve with party colleagues saying the Taoiseach clearly does not value a good performer in a Ministerial role.

The Tánaiste's new position in Education has irked backbenchers, with some predicting she will have teachers rioting at their annual conferences next month.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/ff-meeting-to-examine-fallout-of-reshuffle-451155.html#ixzz0j5GRhinp (http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/ff-meeting-to-examine-fallout-of-reshuffle-451155.html#ixzz0j5GRhinp)

Digout
24-03-2010, 09:21 AM
They key thing here is that Cowen needed to promote some younger members of the corruption party into cabinet as by the next time they get into government all the current lot will be retired.

jmcc
24-03-2010, 11:36 AM
They key thing here is that Cowen needed to promote some younger members of the corruption party into cabinet as by the next time they get into government all the current lot will be retired.I much prefer Terminated With Extreme Prejudice. ;) The moron Cowen has screwed up massively and has only made the prospect of a heave against him stronger.

Regards...jmcc

C. Flower
24-03-2010, 11:46 AM
The thought has crossed my mind that (I suspect inadvertantly) Cowen has strengthened the possibility of a future recovery of Fianna Fail.

There is now a coming generation who will be able to say "It was nothing (much) to do with us".

C. Flower
24-03-2010, 10:59 PM
Well, it looks like I'm getting an answer to my question....

Digout
24-03-2010, 11:40 PM
The thought has crossed my mind that (I suspect inadvertantly) Cowen has strengthened the possibility of a future recovery of Fianna Fail.

There is now a coming generation who will be able to say "It was nothing (much) to do with us".

Nah, brand FF is now toxic.