PDA

View Full Version : China -153 Coal Miners Trapped in Underground Flood - The Cost of Cheap Goods

C. Flower
28-03-2010, 01:38 PM
In the last ten years thousands of coal miners have died in China.

An underground flood a few hours ago has trapped 153 miners underground.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/report-152-trapped-as-china-coal-mine-floods-451752.html

ZANU-FF
28-03-2010, 01:39 PM
but we 'need our stuff'

C. Flower
28-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Just looked at the Wiki - it says that more than 6,000 miners died in China in 2006.
Compare that with the 9/11 deaths?

The wiki also says that US mines in the same year had only 26 deaths. This is partly Unions and good practice, but its also that activity has shifted to China.
The world has exported its manufacturing to "cheap" locations. This means low safety standards and deaths.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_mining

Digout
28-03-2010, 01:51 PM
but we 'need our stuff'

Whats your signature about?

ZANU-FF
28-03-2010, 01:52 PM
Whats your signature about?

ah, the suppression of Truth elsewhere in cyberville

Pensioners of Ireland could have been saved Billions had the Truth not being suppressed

RighteousAnger
28-03-2010, 06:08 PM
Just looked at the Wiki - it says that more than 6,000 miners died in China in 2006.
Compare that with the 9/11 deaths?

The wiki also says that US mines in the same year had only 26 deaths. This is partly Unions and good practice, but its also that activity has shifted to China.
The world has exported its manufacturing to "cheap" locations. This means low safety standards and deaths.[/URL]You forgot to mention the personal injury lawyers. Much as we hate those parasites, they do perform an important function in keeping health and safety relevant to the bottom line of big business.

Xray
28-03-2010, 06:14 PM
I have been to China, and it is by far the most sinister place I have ever been.
Forget Stalinist states, this is like something out of 1984.
It is a right wing capitalist suffocating dictatorship without any of the upside.
I try to avoid buying Chinese goods if I can, its not easy. I would rather be dead than live in China. Those miners are the lucky ones.
I mean it.

johnfás
28-03-2010, 06:14 PM
You forgot to mention the personal injury lawyers. Much as we hate those parasites, they do perform an important function in keeping health and safety relevant to the bottom line of big business.

And effective democratic and civil society structures which demand health and safety regulation and enforcement from legislatures. Lawyers only function within a sound regulatory framework which includes effective law and an effective judicial system.

C. Flower
28-03-2010, 06:53 PM
And effective democratic and civil society structures which demand health and safety regulation and enforcement from legislatures. Lawyers only function within a sound regulatory framework which includes effective law and an effective judicial system.

Good working conditions are linked to other personal rights and come when workers are organised and are able to take action in go-slows and strikes. I knew a German engineer who worked in the South African diamond mines years back (apartheid days). He was jailed because he had kicked up over safety conditions and sided with the miners. The joke was, politically he was almost a Nazi he was so right wing, but from the point of view of efficiency, he found the working conditions and lack of safety intolerable.

johnfás
28-03-2010, 06:57 PM
Good working conditions are linked to other personal rights and come when workers are organised and are able to take action in go-slows and strikes. I knew a German engineer who worked in the South African diamond mines years back (apartheid days). He was jailed because he had kicked up over safety conditions and sided with the miners. The joke was, politically he was almost a Nazi he was so right wing, but from the point of view of efficiency, he found the working conditions and lack of safety intolerable.

Absolutely - unions are an obvious example of an arm of an effective and democratic civil society. Freedom of the press is another example. An effective political system another.

Xray
28-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Absolutely - unions are an obvious example of an arm of an effective and democratic civil society. Freedom of the press is another example.

And we are running in the opposite direction in this country at the moment, be warned.

RighteousAnger
28-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Absolutely - unions are an obvious example of an arm of an effective and democratic civil society.I agree. But unions are ineffective when companies can shift operations to another jurisdicition. Global wage and regulation arbitrage.

The EU should ban chinese imports that dont meet certain labour standards. I dont want to buy stuff thats made with slave labour.

johnfás
28-03-2010, 07:04 PM
And we are running in the opposite direction in this country at the moment, be warned.

Largely as a result of an inept union leadership, it should be noted.

Take for example the fact that the unions are proponents of a continuing recruitment ban - it is a central plank of their plans for reform in the civil service and public sector. What does this mean? It means a generation of emigration. That isn't particularly egalitarian is it? Trade unions are an important plank in any functioning political system - that is a different matter from their being a force for good. Any organisation can be a force for anything.

C. Flower
05-04-2010, 08:32 PM
More than 100 miners have been got out safely after a week.

Nice to have good news!

Dagger John
05-04-2010, 09:48 PM
Wonderful place - no religious goons interfering with the state.

fluffybiscuits
28-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Thought the thread title might be appropriate for this

http://www.thejournal.ie/chinese-labour-camp-letter-733246-Dec2012/

A woman found a letter from a worker in a box of Halloween decorations she had bought from Sears. The letter told of the horrible working conditions, the long hours, no breaks or days off and the poor pay (around $1.61 a month). The US has laws against goods being imported that are made in factories where there is indentured labor or convicts.Copt of the letter here:

http://media.oregonlive.com/happy_valley_news/photo/letterjpg-6baa2c6e59ed95a7.jpg