PDA

View Full Version : Am i Stupid?

Xray
27-03-2010, 12:40 PM
What was the Dockland Authority?

If sounds like a mini republic run by banks that applied for and approved its own planning permission and bank loans, but that the State will foot the bill for?]

Why were we unaware of this at the time? I read more newspapers than most and I never remember a debate about outsourcing planning etc to an unaccountable cabal.

We spend our time worrying about the past in this country, we need to be watching the here and now. When this con job occurred we were paying billions out to lawyers to investigate what had happened a decade earlier in Dublin planning and political circles.

Next week we pick up the tab for all of this. Cowens muttered explanation of his role in this as minister of finance is not something I understood. Am I that thick or did he really just say what I think he said? If he did he must resign. The media that sat on their hands thru all of this are a disgrace. Cowen either did not get it or worse he did get it? Which is it?

Shane Ross is the only person in the country that noticed any of this as far as I can tell. There should be a law passed and referendum if required forcefully nationalising everything to do with this illegal nonsense, the message most go out that the State will not be picking up the debts of failed gambles in the future. You can be sure that we would never have gained from the upside if there had been one.

Now will either the current minister for finance, the minister for the environment or Cowen himself please come on the TV and explain in English what exactly happened here and why. Now, no investigation, no trubunal, just the truth. I am not prepared to pay more tax or suffer worse services for this independent state know at the dublin docklands authority.

C. Flower
27-03-2010, 01:00 PM
There was legislation passed creating the DDA and giving it planning powers.

One of the biggest things to happen to government in the last ten years is the hiving off of Government functions to unaccountable quangos. This was criticised by the OECD, but I don't remember much uproar from the Opposition parties. Were they getting Board seats too?

johnfás
27-03-2010, 01:06 PM
The DDDA was a very good organisation in its infancy and the people who live in that area will tell you that it has transformed it. The problems arose when they started being permitted to become joined to development projects. Then they become the planner and the developer and you simply can't combine the two without conflicts of interest arising.

Most of the good people in the DDDA (the people who were genuinely planners) moved on about 6 or 8 years ago... which is unsurprising really when you see how the company began to position itself thereafter.

I used to go out with the daughter of someone who was senior in the DDDA in the early days. It was exciting, invigorating and amazing to see the work they were doing in regenerating that area in a sustainable way. Then most of them moved on from the organisation and it is bad to see how tarnished the whole thing has now become.

Xray
27-03-2010, 01:20 PM
The DDDA was a very good organisation in its infancy and the people who live in that area will tell you that it has transformed it. The problems arose when they started being permitted to become joined to development projects. Then they become the planner and the developer and you simply can't combine the two without conflicts of interest arising.

Most of the good people in the DDDA (the people who were genuinely planners) moved on about 6 or 8 years ago... which is unsurprising really when you see how the company began to position itself thereafter.

I used to go out with the daughter of someone who was senior in the DDDA in the early days. It was exciting, invigorating and amazing to see the work they were doing in regenerating that area in a sustainable way. Then most of them moved on from the organisation and it is bad to see how tarnished the whole thing has now become.

Interesting insight there, but it still does not explain what happened. It was not accidental, it was not a secret, I really think the people at the head of relevant departments at the time are directly responsible immediately. How can a private group of people run such a thing? I am extremely concerned that NAMA is just a bigger shovel to bury the likes of this. I am also extremely worried that many in the media have too much to lose by exposing it.

C. Flower
27-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Interesting insight there, but it still does not explain what happened. It was not accidental, it was not a secret, I really think the people at the head of relevant departments at the time are directly responsible immediately. How can a private group of people run such a thing? I am extremely concerned that NAMA is just a bigger shovel to bury the likes of this. I am also extremely worried that many in the media have too much to lose by exposing it.

It's all about Anglo.

Xray
27-03-2010, 01:29 PM
I feel like someone that have had his cheque book stolen and is expecting the bank statement soon. I am to blame for not paying closer attention to the book but do I really deserve the bill?

I would love to catch the bastard who stole it, I think I know who he is.