PDA

View Full Version : Labour will restore FOI to former glory!!!

Newsy
09-11-2010, 10:16 PM
"When the Labour Party was last in government, we introduced the Freedom of Information Act.

"It was a new departure in transparent governance at the time.

"It has been gutted by Fianna Fáil in government.

"Even in the light of all that has happened in the past three years, they have steadfastly refused to expand the Freedom of Information to cover the Central Bank, the Financial Regulator, the NTMA and Anglo Irish Bank.

"Omerta still holds sway.

"The Labour Party is committed to restoring Freedom of Information it to its former glory if returned to office."

http://www.labour.ie/press/listing/128933115914450298.html

It has been of major concern to me and I am sure, many others, the huge hole in 'information' in the public domain, with regards to government and the running of government. For any tiny piece of information, a request had to be made and in most cases, paid for.

In other cases, the request would be refused.

The lack of such information or even the accessibility to such information, screams that our democracy is under MAJOR threat.

With the erosion of such information and the access to such information, those who govern cannot be held to account.

Labour have promised to reinstate Freedom of Information to its former glory.

This I welcome.

NAMA, as far as I understand, falls outside the Act.. Can this be repealed, so that it nolonger is a maverick and can be included under such legislation??