PDA

View Full Version : What is Cork Passport Office doing what Dublin isn't?

PaddyJoe
24-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Why are there no stories of long queues and angry people outside the Passport Office in Cork?
Could it be that management and CPSU are working together to minimise disruption to the public? If that can be done in Cork why not in Dublin?

Mr Magoo
24-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Wondered too about that.... very little noise about Cork

Baron von Biffo
24-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Why are there no stories of long queues and angry people outside the Passport Office in Cork?
Could it be that management and CPSU are working together to minimise disruption to the public? If that can be done in Cork why not in Dublin?

Cork is less likely to attract RTE cameras for sundry loolaa's looking for their Warhol minutes.

PaddyJoe
24-03-2010, 11:06 PM
I'm asking because Eoin Ronayne of the CPSU specifically mentioned it today and implied that there was a particular agenda behind the way that the dispute was being handled in Dublin. I guess that the implication is that it suits the government to have a high profile dispute which turns the public against the public service.

Baron von Biffo
24-03-2010, 11:28 PM
I'm asking because Eoin Ronayne of the CPSU specifically mentioned it today and implied that there was a particular agenda behind the way that the dispute was being handled in Dublin. I guess that the implication is that it suits the government to have a high profile dispute which turns the public against the public service.

The CPSU has already commented on a vague statement about the closure of the office Friday evening. They are of the view that it was designed to create a panic. They have also pointed out that it's management who decided to roster 4 staff for new applicants and only one to deal with queries from punters thus panicked.

Now I'm aware of the old saying that one oughtn't attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity but there may be some basis for seeing orchestration in this. If there is it's likely to backfire on the government.

The PS workers never had public support in this matter. The public was more than willing to accept the scutter about €50k salaries and Rolls Royce pensions trotted out endlessly by the Indo and the rest of the gutter media.

There's white hot fury in the PS about the way they've been mistreated. They know they haven't a hope of battling the entire media to get public support now. They also know that ultimately such support is worthless.

The union leaders are at the pin of their collars trying to contain this action at the moment. There's a very strong element in the membership that favours squeezing the public till the pips squeak so that they will round on the government to get a settlement.

PaddyJoe
25-03-2010, 01:32 AM
I'm not PS but I know plenty of people who are and you're right about the anger felt over the scapegoating that has gone on relentlessly for the last 18 months. Around 80% voted for industrial action so its not a minority that are pushing it either.
If this issue doesn't get defused pretty quick its going to have a serious impact on the overall union/government talks. Maybe there are elements on the government side who would be happy enough to see them break down.

Baron von Biffo
25-03-2010, 01:43 AM
I'm not PS but I know plenty of people who are and you're right about the anger felt over the scapegoating that has gone on relentlessly for the last 18 months. Around 80% voted for industrial action so its not a minority that are pushing it either.
If this issue doesn't get defused pretty quick its going to have a serious impact on the overall union/government talks. Maybe there are elements on the government side who would be happy enough to see them break down.

If the government want to play hard ball on this they'll find willing opponents. It wouldn't take all that much to see the likes of Begg, Horan and McLoone being sidelined in this. And anyone who thinks things are bad with them will get a very rude awakening if they have to deal with what'll replace them.