PDA

View Full Version : A terrorist because he made a joke on Twitter

Seán Ryan
22-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Paul Chambers wanted to meet a lady in Northern Ireland. His flight didn't happen due to bad weather. He joked via Twitter that the airport was closed and that if it wasn't reopened within a week, he'd blow it sky high.

It was obviously a joke. The authorities didn't see it that way. One conviction later, one job lost later and a move to Northern Ireland, to be with his lady and Paul has a terrorism related conviction. And the rest of us have an object lesson in servility. The appeal's this Friday. His new job, upon hearing about the appeal, the conviction and "bombs," fired him.

http://standpointmag.co.uk/node/3386

Be very quiet. Don't open you mouth. Down on your knees. Now open your mouth!

Lapsedmethodist
22-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Paul Chambers wanted to meet a lady in Northern Ireland. His flight didn't happen due to bad weather. He joked via Twitter that the airport was closed and that if it wasn't reopened within a week, he'd blow it sky high.

It was obviously a joke. The authorities didn't see it that way. One conviction later, one job lost later and a move to Northern Ireland, to be with his lady and Paul has a terrorism related conviction. And the rest of us have an object lesson in servility. The appeal's this Friday. His new job, upon hearing about the appeal, the conviction and "bombs," fired him.

Dope.

5intheface
22-09-2010, 05:35 PM

What a country!

Maybe I should take to court the Police at Heathrow who asked me,

'What are you going to Kazakhstan for, buying guns?'

Lapsedmethodist
22-09-2010, 05:37 PM
What a country!

I'll bite. What wereyou going to kazakhstan for ?

5intheface
22-09-2010, 05:39 PM
I'll bite. What wereyou going to kazakhstan for ?

I had no option, someone else was flying the plane.

Lapsedmethodist
22-09-2010, 05:41 PM
I had no option, someone else was flying the plane.

The old ones are the best , eh, 5 ?

Christy Walsh
22-09-2010, 05:41 PM
What a country!

Maybe you can count your blessings you got the answer right?

Plain clothes cops out on the street in Belfast city centre were looking for people to make up a 'line up'. I saw them looking at me and when they stopped me they asked if I could do it? I said "I'd rather not". And they asked me why not. Jokingly I said, "I'd probably be the one who got picked out". They laughed and left me continue on my way. --Rather prophetic now looking back.

5intheface
22-09-2010, 05:47 PM
The old ones are the best , eh, 5 ?

Okay, I was working but the Police did say that to me. Had a bit of a chip about it since. That said, I'd as quick have them as the Special Branch in Almaty at whose pleasure I was also detained.

Why do you think this man was a dope. Seems to me that an idiot would have seen he was joking. Are we not allowed to joke anymore without fear of being convicted and having our lives turned upside down.

Edit: I'll grant you dope if you meant he was because he moved to this hole.

Mick Tully
22-09-2010, 06:55 PM
The Brits could never take a joke.

Lapsedmethodist
22-09-2010, 09:53 PM
Okay, I was working but the Police did say that to me. Had a bit of a chip about it since. That said, I'd as quick have them as the Special Branch in Almaty at whose pleasure I was also detained.

Why do you think this man was a dope. Seems to me that an idiot would have seen he was joking. Are we not allowed to joke anymore without fear of being convicted and having our lives turned upside down.

Edit: I'll grant you dope if you meant he was because he moved to this hole.

Option A. Dope because he made blowey uppy jokes. FFS !!!

Seán Ryan
22-09-2010, 10:09 PM
The point to be made here is that it was obviously a joke and that the particular law being used requires intent.

This is a waste of money and is an example of McCarthyism of the worst kind. And it's an attack on basic free speech.

Lapsedmethodist
22-09-2010, 10:48 PM
The point to be made here is that it was obviously a joke and that the particular law being used requires intent.

This is a waste of money and is an example of McCarthyism of the worst kind. And it's an attack on basic free speech.

The point is as follows:-

http://www.google.ie/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&q=joking+about+bombs+taken+seriously&meta=&btnG=Google+Search

2 million hits.

Seán Ryan
22-09-2010, 10:53 PM
Two millions hits is a very good point.

How many serious threats?

Lapsedmethodist
22-09-2010, 11:08 PM
Two millions hits is a very good point.

How many serious threats?

Only one:-
YouTube - VW Polo Commercial

Seán Ryan
22-09-2010, 11:16 PM
:D

Betcha VW wasn't charged with anything - despite having form.

Cáthasaigh
23-09-2010, 08:46 AM
Dope.

Cheerleading totalitarian excess, who'dathunkit.

Lapsedmethodist
23-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Cheerleading totalitarian excess, who'dathunkit.

Hysterical reaction... who'dathunkit.:p

Cáthasaigh
23-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Hysterical reaction... who'dathunkit.:p

The hysterical reaction, which you have implied approval of, was the reaction to the joke.