PDA

View Full Version : Dispatches - "How the MOD Wastes Our Billions"

C. Flower
20-09-2010, 07:22 PM
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/episode-guide/series-58/episode-2

Just watching this - with a Defence Review coming up, and big cuts in arms expenditure coming, it's about money, but is a fascinating insight into the British armed forces with it's top heavy structure and grotesque privilege, with hundreds of large "grace and favour" houses stacked with servants, for the use of the officer class. While soldiers with their legs blown off wait for hours for helicopters in Helmand, the top army bigwigs use helicopters in the UK like taxis. Now on to overspend and lateness on defence supplies....

Veteran war correspondent Sam Kiley turns his sights on the critical issue of whether the British tax payer, and British soldier, are getting value for money from the Ministry of Defence.

As the MoD puts the finishing touches to the first Strategic Defence and Security Review in 12 years, Kiley uncovers a ministry barely fit for purpose while men and women are fighting and dying in Afghanistan.

Britain's £42 billion defence budget puts it in the top four in the world so why do we appear to be struggling to support just 10,000 frontline troops?

The answers lie in the squandering of billions designed to prop up the British defence industry, resulting in the MoD going an estimated £36 billion over its equipment budget over the next ten years.

Kiley argues that poor decisions to buy the Eurofighter, a new Nimrod spy plane, and the Lynx Wildcat helicopter have cost billions and have left our troops dangerously exposed on the ground.

Lapsedmethodist
20-09-2010, 07:56 PM
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/episode-guide/series-58/episode-2

Just watching this - with a Defence Review coming up, it's about money, but is a fascinating insight into the British armed forces with it's top heavy structure and grotesque privilege, with hundreds of large "grace and favour" houses stacked with servants, for the use of the officer class. While soldiers with their legs blown off wait for hours for helicopters in Helmand, the top army bigwigs use helicopters in the UK like taxis. Now on to overspend and lateness on defence supplies....

Well, for starters, they're not the same helicopters !

C. Flower
20-09-2010, 07:58 PM

It's the same budget.

Lapsedmethodist
20-09-2010, 10:07 PM
It's the same budget.

The helicopters being used by army personnel to get about the UK aren't in the same league as those required in Afghanistan; same budget or not.

People Korps
20-09-2010, 10:11 PM
The midget Lynx
helicopter is obviously just a gun ship.

Interesting the post military jobs, even in my own sphere I noted that Robin Matthews came from Afganistan and worked for Ganley before becoming a Libertas candidate and Lord Baron Guthrie Chief of the Defense Staff appointed to the board of Rivada as Obama rolled in :)

Cáthasaigh
20-09-2010, 11:33 PM

What sort of choppers are being referred to then, are they owned by the MOD and crewed by military pilots?

People Korps
21-09-2010, 12:43 AM
They are talking in the program about Chinooks being used to pick men up fro mine fields as the Yanks could not send Black hawks, and the Chinook set off the mines as the guys on the ground knew it would. The procurement argument was over the British developed Lynx (the new one not yet in service ) which is tiny versus the Black Hawks they should have bought off the shelf. But had they bought Black Hawks with army personnel piloting the RAF would have had their knickers in a twist. I think. Upshot is Brits dont have adequate chopper support in Afghanistan and billions spent on developing one too small for their needs in war

oh i see they are talking now about ordinary choppers used to ferry top brass to lunch and the like in the UK.