PDA

View Full Version : Meteor Shower this week

yehbut_nobut
09-08-2010, 08:45 PM
If the weather is clear, try to get out to see some of the Perseid Meteor which reeaches its peak later this week. Meteor showers happen when the earths orbit crosses the dust path left by one or another comet. The tiny particles of dust strike the earths atmosphere and burn up, leaving a bright streak, but of course you knew that already.

Oh, and they're also God's magic sparklers, made of special angel glitter, and if you catch one you get to make a wish.

If it's clear, it's already possible to see one or two of these meteors streaking accross the night sky from tonight onwards, but the rate will increase to a few dozen per hour on the 12/13th (This thurs and friday).

The best time for viewing is between midnight and dawn on Thurdays or Friday morning (this is because of the way the way the earth moves through space, when our half of the earth catches the dust stream "head on".)

The bright streaks -which sometimes persist for a couple of seconds - can appear anywhere in the sky in any direction, but they'll all appear to be travelling away from the same part of the sky (which in the constellation of Perseus, hence the Perseid shower).

If you get a chance, do try to catch a glimpse.

wickedfairy
09-08-2010, 08:49 PM
If the weather is clear, try to get out to see some of the Perseid Meteor which reeaches its peak later this week. Meteor showers happen when the earths orbit crosses the dust path left by one or another comet. The tiny particles of dust strike the earths atmosphere and burn up, leaving a bright streak, but of course you knew that already.

Oh, and they're also God's magic sparklers, made of special angel glitter, and if you catch one you get to make a wish.

If it's clear, it's already possible to see one or two of these meteors streaking accross the night sky from tonight onwards, but the rate will increase to a few dozen per hour on the 12/13th (This thurs and friday).

The best time for viewing is between midnight and dawn on Thurdays or Friday morning (this is because of the way the way the earth moves through space, when our half of the earth catches the dust stream "head on".)

The bright streaks -which sometimes persist for a couple of seconds - can appear anywhere in the sky in any direction, but they'll all appear to be travelling away from the same part of the sky (which in the constellation of Perseus, hence the Perseid shower).

sound fab yehbut, telescope to the ready for sure. Thank you.

C. Flower
09-08-2010, 09:10 PM

I was driving north at night once with a colleague and as we passed through Louth in a dark rural area I started to see showers of meteors - it seemed to go on and on for ages and neither of us mentioned it for a long time, as we were both thinking maybe we'd gone nuts and were imagining it.

concernedparent
09-08-2010, 09:27 PM
I remember a few years back now standing at the front door of my house, watching the Northern Lights. My youngest was about five or six at the time and now she is fourteen but still remembers it.

Cassandra Syndrome
10-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Much prefer this than the O2 shower........

Seriously cheers for that, they maybe a few more Northern Lights coming up as well.

yehbut_nobut
11-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Looking a bit dicey, cloud-wise here in north Tipp, but I live in hope (with frequent checks on sat24.com (http://www.sat24.com/eu)).

I was out at 2am this morning, and in a 10min stretch saw 4 meteors (three Perseids and one random one). Peak show is predicted for tonight/tommorrow (greatest in the dark hours before dawn) and into the following night/morning (Thurs night/Fri).

If you're lucky enough to have clear skys tonight (or tomorrow), here' s a few tips (from past experience) on how best to enjoy the show. BTW - meteor watching is the best sort of "naked eye" astronomy. No telescope is needed, in fact they're positively useless - the meteors are specks of light travelling immensely fast - much, much too quick to point a telescope or binoculars at. So:

Find the best site you can. The ideal site will be away from artificial light sources (street lights, houses etc), and have an unobstructed view to the horizon in all directions (ie no nearby buildings or trees blocking your view). Such locations are rare, so, make the best compromise you can. The more of the sky that's visible, the more meteors you'll have a chance of seeing.

Next, be aware that our eyes take all of 20 minutes to fully "dark adapt", when the pupils dilate and we can see the faintest stars. Even a second or so of bright light means the process is interuppted, and you have to start over again. Therefore it's worth finding somewhere that won't be shone on by a neighbours security light (should be banned imo) or car headlights at a distant juncton or whatever.

Get comfortable. Looking up at the sky for more than a minute or so puts serious strain on the neck and shoulders. So bring a reclining chair, or a sun lounger (hah! remember those!?) to lie back and relax in. If you have a dark sky (little light pollution) you can see the wonder that is the Milky Way directly overhead. If it's really dark -can you see where it "splits" down the middle?

Dress warm. Even if it feels mild, lying out in the night air without much movement means your body will chill. So wear an extra layer, and take a hat, or better still, wrap up in a sleeping bag.

While noting what I said about 'scopes above, if you can, it is nice to have a pair of binoculars to hand, to view the wonders of the starry heavens in a bit more detail. You don't have to have a sky map or to know what anything is - just focus, stare, and enjoy!

Lastly, if you bring a flask of something warm and a few snacks, you will be set for a couple of hours very happy meteor watching.

I wish you clear skys!

musashi
12-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Nice one Yeh_but.
Was out last two nights didn't spot anything. Westmeath was clear as a bell last night. Tonight I'm all set up for the long stretch, I've got my sun-lounger, video recorder, sleeping bag and home grown.
Can't go wrong :D

wickedfairy
12-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Nice one Yeh_but.
Was out last two nights didn't spot anything. Westmeath was clear as a bell last night. Tonight I'm all set up for the long stretch, I've got my sun-lounger, video recorder, sleeping bag and home grown.
Can't go wrong :D

sounds fab, njoy :)

Assam
13-08-2010, 12:32 AM
Have just spent the last hour-and-a-bit outside in the garden and, despite slightly cloudy sky, lots of planes and street light, saw at least 6. Just wonderful, though blink and you've missed them - 1 short white one, 1 short red one, 1 long white one and three that dropped down out of the sky towards the horizon.

... so get out there and have a look. Just take Yehbut's advice, though, use a sun lounger if you have one - otherwise you'll have a very sore neck as I now have!!G'night ...

C. Flower
17-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Meteor showers predicted for the Dublin area, tonight. Any reports and any chance of clear skies?

Count Bobulescu
20-10-2012, 11:01 PM
Meteor shower should be starting in Ireland just about now.

Around this time of year, the Earth passes through a trail of space debris left over from Halley's Comet's 76-year orbit around the sun, giving us a prime angle to a spectacular shooting-star show.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57536554-1/orionid-meteor-shower-promises-a-weekend-treat/