PDA

View Full Version : Alex Higgins has Died

C. Flower
24-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Sad news that Alex Higgins has died.

He gave plenty of entertainment in his time.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.talksnooker.co.uk%2Fguides%2F snooker_legends_alex_higgins.html&ei=NTFLTO3jKYKi0gTN4OGECw&usg=AFQjCNEl0PHW3ty8mAbx_-5wc_5CS--GAA

YouTube- Alex Higgins - Tribute Sept 2009

Newsy
24-07-2010, 07:34 PM
R.I.P.

My thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

5intheface
24-07-2010, 07:34 PM
Seems true enough;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/snooker/7908601/Alex-Hurricane-Higgins-dies-aged-61.html

Lá an Lúbáin
24-07-2010, 07:44 PM
If there ever was a soul that needed rest, it would be the Hurricane's.

Slim Buddha
24-07-2010, 07:49 PM
His 1982 semi-final in Sheffield with Jimmy White was one of the greatest games of snooker I have ever seen.

RIP.

Murra
24-07-2010, 08:03 PM
R.I.P Hurricane.

Andrew49
24-07-2010, 08:32 PM
if there ever was a soul that needed rest, it would be the hurricane's.

+1

rip

Summerday Sands
24-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Ah thats very sad news Alex Higgins was possibly the most naturally talented player ever however sadly he lacked many of the qualities that makes a great player unbeatable. A player of his stature should have won the World Championship more than only twice ('72 & '82).

Reminds me alot of George Best. Two geniuses, blessed with mercurial talent, who lit up their sport but ulimately never achieved the true rewards that their skill deserved.

R.I.P Alex.

concernedparent
24-07-2010, 09:13 PM
I was never a snooker fan, but recall 'Hurricane' Higgins from my childhood.

I sincerely hope that he has found peace.

RIP

Fraxinus
24-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Higgin's was before my time unfortunately so I won't pretend to have seen him play really but by the sounds of things, he was a very talented but haunted person.

Summerday Sands
24-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Higgin's was before my time unfortunately so I won't pretend to have seen him play really but by the sounds of things, he was a very talented but haunted person.

Before my time too but whenever the World Championships are on it always shows old clips of him & he always left a huge impression, his cavalier attitude & array of magic shots always makes todays game seem so drab & safe in comparison.

5intheface
24-07-2010, 09:36 PM
A complicated but gifted man who would have been all the more appreciated in today's world of snookering androids but some awful skeletons in the closet.

Mind you, he did some great work most especially when he threatened to have Denis Taylor shot.

Fraxinus
24-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Before my time too but whenever the World Championships are on it always shows old clips of him & he always left a huge impression, his cavalier attitude & array of magic shots always makes todays game seem so drab & safe in comparison.

White and Ronnie seem to be in the same vain but still not at the same entertainment level.

Summerday Sands
24-07-2010, 09:56 PM
A complicated but gifted man who would have been all the more appreciated in today's world of snookering androids but some awful skeletons in the closet.

Mind you, he did some great work most especially when he threatened to have Denis Taylor shot.

His next game after saying that was against Taylor.

It was a very dramatic game. Higgins wouldn't leave his dressing room making Taylor wait. When he did arrive he stood enough of a distance away from Taylor making him reach out his hand thus Taylor looked like he was stooping down. The game started & although by then the drink had a strong hold of Higgins was well past his best, he still could turn on the old magic in the early part of the match shooting some spectacular shots he then raised his cue over his head mocking Taylors famous celebration from him his World Championship win. The tension was electric.

Far play to Taylor though, he kept his nerve & easily beat Higgins in the end.

Summerday Sands
24-07-2010, 09:59 PM
White and Ronnie seem to be in the same vain but still not at the same entertainment level.

Yeah agree with you there very similar.

At least Higgins could win the odd World Championship though, poor old Jimmy:D:D

5intheface
24-07-2010, 10:01 PM

His next game after saying that was against Taylor.

It was a very dramatic game. Higgins wouldn't leave his dressing room making Taylor wait. When he did arrive he stood enough of a distance away from Taylor making him reach out his hand thus Taylor looked like he was stooping down. The game started & although by then the drink had a strong hold of Higgins was well past his best, he still could turn on the old magic in the early part of the match shooting some spectacular shots he then raised his cue over his head mocking Taylors famous celebration from him his World Championship win. The tension was electric.

Far play to Taylor though, he kept his nerve & easily beat Higgins in the end.

I'm fairly sure they were on an All-Ireland team together with Patsy Fagan that won the Snooker World Cup a couple of times.

Fraxinus
24-07-2010, 10:06 PM
What was the story there? Why did he threaten to shoot Taylor?

Fraxinus
24-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Yeah agree with you there very similar.

At least Higgins could win the odd World Championship though, poor old Jimmy:D:D

Haha, poor Jimmy, greatest player never to have won probably.

Summerday Sands
24-07-2010, 10:08 PM
[quote=Summerday Sands;50536]

I'm fairly sure they were on an All-Ireland team together with Patsy Fagan that won the Snooker World Cup a couple of times.

Isn't that what the dispute was about, Higgins wouldn't serve under Taylor as captain. Perhaps you know more?

Summerday Sands
24-07-2010, 10:10 PM
How come whenever I try to quote another poster, it comes up as my own quote?:mad::mad:

5intheface
24-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Isn't that what the dispute was about, Higgins wouldn't serve under Taylor as captain. Perhaps you know more?

Ah could have been, can't remember what the row was about at all. Don't think anyone this side of the sea took it seriously ut I think Higgins got a ban. Right enough I think he lamped a ref at the same time too. Could be wrong.

5intheface
24-07-2010, 10:12 PM
How come whenever I try to quote another poster, it comes up as my own quote?:mad::mad:

Just happened me now too. Or you if this happens again. :D

Just go to edit post and remove the erroneous quote.

Summerday Sands
24-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Just happened me now too. Or you if this happens again. :D

Just go to edit post and remove the erroneous quote.

Cheers, was a tad perplexing.

Nothings ever straightforward with regards Alex Higgins:D

Sam Lord
24-07-2010, 10:28 PM

Not to mention the (in)famous head butting of a match official ...

C. Flower
24-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Very sad. He had a lot to deal with.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/jul/24/alex-higgins-snooker-dies-61

joekilgobinet
24-07-2010, 11:10 PM
R.I.P. Hurricane.
A legend.
He had a hard time in recent years.

Lá an Lúbáin
25-07-2010, 12:27 AM
What was the story there? Why did he threaten to shoot Taylor?

Because he was drunk and he was Alex Higgins........

Ah Well
25-07-2010, 12:56 AM
he was a very talented but haunted person.

Summed up there rather well by one admitting they never really saw him play (I speaking as one who did experience the Higgins syndrome albeit being very young at the time) :)

That Vid still from CF's OP is poignant when one reads this from 2005 as well

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4161/is_20050703/ai_n14684093/

A tortured man and family .... RIP

truth.ie
25-07-2010, 03:47 AM
Because he was drunk and he was Alex Higgins........
Well no, actually.
He was possibly drunk at the time, we don't know.
According to Taylor he said.."You're from Coalisland, I'm from East Belfast....." he then offered to fight Taylor. Taylor refused to fight. He then threatened to have him shot. This was at a time when sectarian killings were happening every few days.
Lets not paper over the cracks here, there were clear sectarian connotations to the Higgins/Taylor clash. All from Higgins mind you.
A friend and I met Higgins in a bar in Grafton St circa 1990. He latched on to us after he heard the Nordie accents, and to be honest was pretty chilled and friendly
. He was alone and seemed happy to meet a few Nordies. I got the impression he felt alienated in Dublin.
All was going well, till he started swinging round a pole like a [email protected]g chimp and was duly turfed out by the doormen. On hearing of his death? I was surprised he lived so long to be honest.
A chain smoking, binge drinking, cocaine snorting,womanising, sectarian bigot who used to be good at snooker.
Thats how I'll remember our alex.
No doubt the media will label him a loveable rogue.

Ecoprincess
25-07-2010, 11:06 AM
He was given a life and he lived it to the full, some good, some bad, and towards the end with great courage, but he never took life for granted.

How many of us have got off our asses and lived our lives with passion and courage?

The name Alex "Hurricane" Higgins will always be in the snooker history books.

Fraxinus
25-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Summed up there rather well by one admitting they never really saw him play (I speaking as one who did experience the Higgins syndrome albeit being very young at the time) :)

That Vid still from CF's OP is poignant when one reads this from 2005 as well

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4161/is_20050703/ai_n14684093/

A tortured man and family .... RIP

That's why I said he seems to have been. How is that a lot of those people with immense natural talent seem to be always fighting personal demons? In the same sport ya have Ronnie, then his fellow Belfastian Best and not just in sport, music and other arts too.

Wasn't aware at all that he had a sectarian side to him until the oul lad mentioned this morning that might be why he picked a fight with Taylor.

BrendanGalway
25-07-2010, 01:53 PM
The best part of his game was when the Frame was over and Higgins only had the Black to Pot. He usually would wind the Cue back as far as it would go and put everything he had into the shot. Id say some Audience members would protect their heads when they saw him winding up.

Rip and thanks for the Memories.

Andrew49
27-07-2010, 01:22 PM
15 frames to 14 down.
59-0 down in frame 30.
Higgins produces the greatest 'pressure break' in Crucible history.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df9T5p-aHoY

disability student
27-07-2010, 01:33 PM
If there ever was a soul that needed rest, it would be the Hurricane's.

+1

He was a snooker 'genius' as he's one of the rare breed. He goes around the pool table faster and without thinking which ball to pot.

Look at Snooker now as it's so boring now. Players pause & stop think which ball to protect or pot etc nowadays.

He once called Steve Davis ' Robot' as Hurricane is a very expressive player on the table.

I was shocked by his appearance last year in Dublin as it took me a while to recognise him.

Nothern Ireland seems to produces three geniuses ... Best, Dunlop and Hurricane Higgins.

May he rest in peace

Cáthasaigh
27-07-2010, 01:52 PM

Useless shaftie fuckup couldn't even accomplish that much.

Taylor looked like he was stooping down.

Surely not! Denis a stoop? I'll never forget going to an exhibition at Gervins in Coalisland just after he won the world championship. He thrust his cue out like a weapon in front of him as he barged out through the crowd of children afterwards. He established his tv career by telling 'oirish' jokes on the BBC. I personally believe that he is the product of some fiendish British genetics experiment based on captured Nazi research papers. There is no way in hell thon **** is Tyrone stock.

YouTube- The Irish Rovers - Patsy Fagan

Cáthasaigh
27-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Nothern Ireland seems to produces three geniuses ... Best, Dunlop and Hurricane Higgins.

How very dare you! How could you possibly forget Mary Peters, Daniel O Donnell and Barry McGuigan?

Slim Buddha
27-07-2010, 03:12 PM
15 frames to 14 down.
59-0 down in frame 30.
Higgins produces the greatest 'pressure break' in Crucible history.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df9T5p-aHoY

What is extraordinary about this break is that for the first half of it, Higgins has virtually no control over the cue ball.

Andrew49
27-07-2010, 03:30 PM
What is extraordinary about this break is that for the first half of it, Higgins has virtually no control over the cue ball.

He was a mere spectator.

Dunno if it's just in snooker - but it is/was the bad boys that seemed to make snooker good.

disability student
28-07-2010, 12:39 PM
How very dare you! How could you possibly forget Mary Peters, Daniel O Donnell and Barry McGuigan?

Genius are a rare breed as they cannot be replaced with another for a v v long time.

Examples of this: C Ring, Vincent O' Brien,Mike Gibson et al.

M Peters, O Donell & Mc Guigan are great sportsman but not geniuses just like Hurricane Higgins or Best or Ringy or O Brien.

You only see the likes of them once only in your lifetime and never again.:mad:

Cáthasaigh
28-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Genius are a rare breed as they cannot be replaced with another for a v v long time.

Examples of this: C Ring, Vincent O' Brien,Mike Gibson et al.

M Peters, O Donell & Mc Guigan are great sportsman but not geniuses just like Hurricane Higgins or Best or Ringy or O Brien.

You only see the likes of them once only in your lifetime and never again.:mad:

Daniel O Donnell and Mary Peters sportsmen? Well Mary maybe, I don't think the gender testing was as rigouress in those days but Daniel?

YouTube- Stand Beside Me

disability student
28-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Daniel O Donnell and Mary Peters sportsmen? Well Mary maybe, I don't think the gender testing was as rigouress in those days but Daniel?

YouTube- Stand Beside Me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhtbupSQbUc)

LOL my apologies re Daniel O Donnell. I know Mary Peters was an all round athlete in pentathlon.That is not to detract from her previous sporting success but she's no genius.

Cáthasaigh
28-07-2010, 12:50 PM
LOL my apologies re Daniel O Donnell. I know Mary Peters was an all round athlete in pentathlon.That is not to detract from her previous sporting success but she's no genius.

I was extracting the ***** from the onset, my friend. You would have to be familiar with 6 counties culture and the tv in particular to get the Mary Peters connection.

disability student
28-07-2010, 12:55 PM
I was extracting the ***** from the onset, my friend. You would have to be familiar with 6 counties culture and the tv in particular to get the Mary Peters connection.

Well i'm not familiar with 6 counties culture as i live in the south. Although i hated the question often asked by the British, north or south which leaves me exasperated. :rolleyes:

disability student
28-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Genius of Best:

YouTube- George Best

Genius of Ringy:

YouTube- Hurling Legends - Ring & Mackey - RTE GAA

Happy viewing!!:D:D

Cáthasaigh
28-07-2010, 01:31 PM
YouTube- The Legend {Frank Mc Guigan] Omagh Gaa Ardboe

disability student
28-07-2010, 01:36 PM
YouTube- The Legend {Frank Mc Guigan] Omagh Gaa Ardboe (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m07it4_evog)

Oh yeah re Frank Mc Guigan as my late father said he was the best one at that era. No question about it as he was very talented and gifted footballer way better than Jack O Shea.:)

Cáthasaigh
28-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Oh yeah re Frank Mc Guigan as my late father said he was the best one at that era. No question about it as he was very talented and gifted footballer way better than Jack O Shea.:)

YouTube- Amazing 11-point haul for Frank McGuigan - 1984 Tyrone v Armagh

Had it not been for a car accident the '86 All Ireland final would probably have had a very different outcome.

Cáthasaigh
28-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Higgins always hated Steve Davis so this one's for Alex.

YouTube- Snooker - Steve Davis 147 Break - Budapest Exhibition