PDA

View Full Version : Cameron unveils "Big Society" Initiative.

BrendanGalway
19-07-2010, 11:40 PM
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0719/breaking8.html

British prime minister David Cameron today unveiled the next phase of his “Big Society” agenda today and denied the idea was a cover for public service cuts.

Mr Cameron kick-started the initiative by announcing that community projects in four parts of the country are to be given state support. He hailed the Big Society scheme as “the biggest, most dramatic redistribution of power” from the state to individuals.

But Mr Cameron was also forced to reject claims that the project was a way of masking cuts by offloading state work to the voluntary sector.

First Ive heard of this. The strategy seems to be to slash Govt spending on Public Services (which we knew they would) and offload the work to Local Charities, Volunteer groups and "Social enterprise" which I assume mean Private Businesses.

Each [Area] will get an expert organiser and dedicated civil servants to ensure "people power" initiatives get off the ground and inspire a wider change, the prime minister said.

A local buy-out of a rural pub, efforts to recruit volunteers to keep museums open and giving residents more power over council spending are among the initiatives being championed.

Cameron states that : "Years of top-down government control turned capable people into “passive recipients of state help”. This seems to be very much in the Model of shrinking Govt and leaving People to their own devices although no mention of Corresponding Tax breaks are mentioned. I suppose the Trident program wont pay for itself.

Will it work?

C. Flower
19-07-2010, 11:47 PM
It sounds very much on the US model. Don't run services and say that its a matter for charities or business.

It means destruction of services and jobs and greater social deprivation.

Slim Buddha
20-07-2010, 02:54 AM
Quite a U-Turn by the Tories from "There's no such thing as Society" to "The Big Society" from a branding viewpoint. However, the same budgetary thinking underpins this initiative by the looks of it.

Summerday Sands
20-07-2010, 03:35 AM
Quite a U-Turn by the Tories from "There's no such thing as Society" to "The Big Society" from a branding viewpoint. However, the same budgetary thinking underpins this initiative by the looks of it.

Yes indeed. The old girl would not be amused.

ModestMouse
20-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Yes indeed. The old girl would not be amused.

I'd say the "old girl" is filling her incontenence pants at 15 minute intervals with anticipation and excitement.

The perceived "financial crisis" is the perfect opportunity for the Tories to further impoverish the working class of Britain and and drag their society back to their beloved Victorian era. You can be sure they will exploit the situation to the fullest.

I'm not sure what Cameroon's ultimate objective is with this one but it certainly won't amount to government investment in community projects as it is being portrayed.

Captain Con O'Sullivan
20-07-2010, 10:48 AM
As a libertarian I agree with Cameron's assessment that top down government has bred a generation of people who assume the government will be responsible for anything not under the control of the individual.

I agree also that this is almost certainly a policy calculated to disguise a machete hack at all sorts of activities in which the government should not really be involved. Every time someone in the UK claims 'there should be a law ...' it means they want the government to step in and run another section of society.

I don't trust the conservatives not to hack at the NHS under the guise of 'Big Society' which implies 'Small Government'.

I see the inevitable by-product of Big Government in the UK every day and it is not good for society.

Modest Mouse is right in that it certainly won't involve investment in community projects but then community projects are a matter for local communities- not national government.