PDA

View Full Version : New Australian P.M. Sets Date for General Election

C. Flower
17-07-2010, 09:21 PM
New P.M. comes to office in difficult times and immediately calls a General Election... remind you of anything around here? No ? Thought not.

Australia will hold a general election on 21 August, Prime Minister Julia Gillard has announced.
Ms Gillard - the country's first female prime minister - said the snap poll would be "tough and close".
The governing Labor Party elected her as leader three weeks ago after ousting her predecessor, Kevin Rudd.
The race between Labor and the conservative opposition Liberal Party is expected to focus on the economy, health, climate change and immigration
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-10670715

Labor is running on a programme of giving priority to health and education, and tough immigration and smuggling controls.

Announcement speech here -

YouTube- Together, let's move Australia forward

ang
17-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Good to see that some politicians still believe in the right to allow the electorate to decide on what they deem to be in the best interests of the Country.

Having the Mandate of the people is what should come first.

PaddyJoe
18-07-2010, 12:47 AM
Didn't outgoing PM Kevin Rudd try to impose a fairly serious tax on the mining companies? Not to get too conspiratorial about it but he didn't last very long after that. There was massive pressure internationally to rescind it and then an internal party coup.

Gruffalo
18-07-2010, 01:01 AM
Didn't outgoing PM Kevin Rudd try to impose a fairly serious tax on the mining companies? Not to get too conspiratorial about it but he didn't last very long after that. There was massive pressure internationally to rescind it and then an internal party coup.

And to add to that Gillard is the daughter of a Welsh miner. May even have been born in Wales though I am not certain about that.

Spectabilis
20-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Elections tomorrow. I have my fingers crossed for Gillard. First woman PM, first atheist, first Labour PM in a long time, first non-family candidate, first not born in Oz - if i am right on these. It would make Obama's achievement look like a cakewalk. The only things she does not 'score' on are race and disability and you know what I mean here.

Surprising that there has been no coverage in the mainstream media that I am aware of.

Gruffalo
20-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Elections tomorrow. I have my fingers crossed for Gillard. First woman PM, first atheist, first Labour PM in a long time, first non-family candidate, first not born in Oz - if i am right on these. It would make Obama's achievement look like a cakewalk. The only things she does not 'score' on are race and disability and you know what I mean here.

Surprising that there has been no coverage in the mainstream media that I am aware of.

Labour have been in power for the past few years.

Spectabilis
20-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Thanks Gruffalo. Of course you are right. For some reason the Kevin Rudd years have slipped my attention.

Gruffalo
20-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Thanks Gruffalo. Of course you are right. For some reason the Kevin Rudd years have slipped my attention.

Dont worry, the Harry Potter lookalike is easy to forget.

TotalMayhem
20-08-2010, 10:40 PM
First woman PM, first atheist, first Labour PM in a long time, first non-family candidate, first not born in Oz - if i am right on these.

Quite, some early PMs were born abroad, but they were all born before 1901.

Chris Watson: Valparaiso, Chile
George Reid: Johnstone, Renfrewshire, Scotland, UK
Andrew Fisher: Crosshouse, Ayrshire, Scotland, UK
Joseph Cooke: Silverdale, England, UK
Billy Hughes: London, England, UK

Elections tomorrow. I have my fingers crossed for Gillard.

It's good to have a choice in the matter of who is going to sell you out to the People's Republic of China. ;)