PDA

View Full Version : World Cup 2010

Pages : [1] 2

BrendanGalway
11-06-2010, 11:30 PM
Didnt get to see the first game, but France V Uraguay promised much and delivered little. I think come the Business end of this Tournament, our only interest in these teams will be if they got home safely.

Argentina V Nigeria tomorrow. Hopefully the tournament starts here!

moss
11-06-2010, 11:40 PM
The South Africa goal was memorable. First goal of the tournament too, home team. The world cup has well started.
And only 2 games today. 3 tomorrow :)

England v USA tomorrow...........any chance of a hail storm ??

DCon
11-06-2010, 11:47 PM
if anyone needs to watch online, the reception here is better than on my tv. No commentary but how bad.

http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/fifaworldcup/

Slim Buddha
12-06-2010, 12:05 AM
Its a strange World Cup so far. We like the French mostly but wanted them to lose tonight. We may not be too enamoured by Americans but perhaps want them to win tomorrow.No accounting for deep seated feelings at all!

PaddyJoe
12-06-2010, 01:01 AM
I was thinking of boosting consumer spending in June by donating a few quid to Paddy Power. ;) Anybody think Italy might be worth a few bob at 16/1?

Sam Lord
12-06-2010, 02:42 AM
I was thinking of boosting consumer spending in June by donating a few quid to Paddy Power. ;) Anybody think Italy might be worth a few bob at 16/1?

I don't really fancy them but that is a price that could not be turned down.

Slim Buddha
12-06-2010, 04:25 AM

Good odds for a team who can revert to cattenacio when the mood takes. Hard to see where the goals are to come from though.

Ah Well
12-06-2010, 10:31 AM
The big talking point of it so far seems to be the Vuvuzela

Or to put it in pics :D

http://i46.tinypic.com/28umo13.jpg

disability student
12-06-2010, 01:41 PM
Korea 2 up now after 55 mins v Greece. No wonder Greece are affected & distracted by the financial austerity cuts.

disability student
12-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Its a strange World Cup so far. We like the French mostly but wanted them to lose tonight. We may not be too enamoured by Americans but perhaps want them to win tomorrow.No accounting for deep seated feelings at all!

Yeah i wanted the french to lose badly after Henry's handball. I am no fan of the American's but would be cheering for them today. The British seems to hype themslves up more for this year World cup. The reason is that of Capello's handling of the players. However their defence is bit weak after all the injuries to date.maybe they could reach Q-F at least.

Digout
12-06-2010, 02:02 PM
Just have a very large bet on Holland to win, and another very large bet on USA/England to draw tonight.

I hope henry breaks both legs during this competition.

disability student
12-06-2010, 02:05 PM
Just have a very large bet on Holland to win, and another very large bet on USA/England to draw tonight.

I hope henry breaks both legs during this competition.

My best bet would be Paraguay as they are the dark horses. They finished 2nd to Brazil in the WC qualifiers. Holland rightly re dark horse re new coach lot better than Van Basten.

Slim Buddha
12-06-2010, 02:08 PM
Greece are really bad. S. Korea should be 4 up. Greece only have Gekas up front but like Uruguay last night wïth Forlan, they need to get the ball to him.

Let's see what fun Maradona has in store for us. :-)

disability student
12-06-2010, 02:11 PM
Greece are really bad. S. Korea should be 4 up. Greece only have Gekas up front but like Uruguay last night wïth Forlan, they need to get the ball to him.

Let's see what fun Maradona has in store for us. :-)

Yeah that would be interesting re Argies. Great team with great invividual players but the manager seems to be incapable of managing himself and the team. He left out 2 very good players from Inter Milan when he selected final 23.

I reckon Argie would do lot better if new manager preferably from home.

Slim Buddha
12-06-2010, 02:20 PM
Yeah that would be interesting re Argies. Great team with great invividual players but the manager seems to be incapable of managing himself and the team. He left out 2 very good players from Inter Milan when he selected final 23.

I reckon Argie would do lot better if new manager preferably from home.

Leaving out Cambiasso and Zanetti is incomprehensible. Look what he could be missing from Cambiasso.

YouTube- Argentina v Serbia Montenegro - 2-0 Cambiasso SBS Tyler

disability student
12-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Leaving out Cambiasso and Zanetti is incomprehensible. Look what he could be missing from Cambiasso.

YouTube- Argentina v Serbia Montenegro - 2-0 Cambiasso SBS Tyler (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R_iYLca2gc&feature=related)

Yeah that's him very good player. I was surprised to hear that he was left out from the squad. Mind boggles re Maradona!!!

BrendanGalway
12-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Ya know, looking at the Big 5, Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Germany, France....none of them impress in they way that they have done. None of them stand out as Tournament favorites. They are all either under-par for various reasons or just in a low point in their Teams development.

I think this tournament is wide open. Its there for another team to Win. This could be they chance Spain or England have been waiting for. Id wager both of those teams *could* make the final if they avoid each other. England will suffer from the loss of Ferdinand, that wasnt in the script. But under Capello I believe they have a great chance.

As for Spain, if its the same Mentality they showed winning the European Championships, nothing will stop them.

disability student
12-06-2010, 05:26 PM
Ya re the big 5. I would favour Spain as they have the organisation and the flair provided they recapture their form from European champsionship.

Brendan, I agree with you that it's very much wide open until it reach the Q-Final or Semi finals re form/ a stand out team. Sometimes team on top form don't win the WC for example the Brazilians in '82.

As regards to the weather i was told it's hot and warm in the afternoon and colder at night. It's their winter season just like Australia weather system.

Furze
12-06-2010, 06:37 PM
Ivory Coast and Dutch Final.
IC to win WC.

moss
12-06-2010, 07:59 PM
When are they gonna release the lions ???
Now that would be fun (listening to engerlandd ITV commentary)

moss
12-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Go on you Yank scum that are less scummier than the UK (engerlandd)... :)

C. Flower
12-06-2010, 09:12 PM
who's winning ?

moss
12-06-2010, 09:13 PM
The referees

1-1 bring on the Lions.

C. Flower
12-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Real lions ?

moss
12-06-2010, 09:27 PM
Yes, if possible :)

moss
12-06-2010, 09:28 PM
1-1 final score.
Bet they wished they could have kept it to that in Afghanistan this week :)

5intheface
12-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Great goal from the US. :D

http://www.dembot.net/images/rofl.jpg

disability student
12-06-2010, 09:43 PM
1-1 final score.
Bet they wished they could have kept it to that in Afghanistan this week :)

GSTQ (God save the queen) were made to look like an ordinary team tonight by Uncle Sam as their goalie made a error.

Uncle sam played well at patches with their passing which was good at times. That stretched the GTSQ defence. Carragher was exposed for his pace- slow as they sorely missed Rio.

Uncle sam wasn't that bad as they will do better in later stages.

A fair result as i'm sure that both managers will have no complaints. Ref was fussy at times dishing out yellow cards here and there.

PaddyJoe
12-06-2010, 09:52 PM
A bit off topic here but just noticed that the odds on the party with the most seats after the next election seems a bit out of touch with the latest opinion polls.
paddypower.ie
FG 5/6
FF 13/8
Lab 4/1
Worth a few quid on Labour at that price.
http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/other-politics/irish-government?ev_oc_grp_ids=225277

5intheface
12-06-2010, 09:53 PM
Anyone else overcome by a wave of patriotic pride when thay see or hear Andy Townsend?

Thought not!

Digout
12-06-2010, 10:12 PM
and another very large bet on USA/England to draw tonight.

A nice evenings work for me :)

disability student
12-06-2010, 10:13 PM

oh yeah i rem u mentioned it earlier today. Betcha u happy bunny by now:D

Newsy
12-06-2010, 10:14 PM

Congrats.

I watched it. England were NOT good.

US, I thought lost a bit of gusto for last 20 mins.

5intheface
12-06-2010, 10:16 PM
GSTQ (God save the queen) were made to look like an ordinary team tonight by Uncle Sam as their goalie made a error.

Uncle sam played well at patches with their passing which was good at times. That stretched the GTSQ defence. Carragher was exposed for his pace- slow as they sorely missed Rio.

Uncle sam wasn't that bad as they will do better in later stages.

A fair result as i'm sure that both managers will have no complaints. Ref was fussy at times dishing out yellow cards here and there.

Excellent, I may just. for evermore, refer to England as GSTQ. :)

disability student
12-06-2010, 10:17 PM
Congrats.

I watched it. England were NOT good.

US, I thought lost a bit of gusto for last 20 mins.

Eng wasn't that impressive as to their previous games. They tired at the end as i don't personally think that they will go to the final. Their defence was exposed with pace and stretched by the wingers.

Anyway, i won't be betting on them.:)

moss
12-06-2010, 10:18 PM

Bar mass suicide, it was the only fair result. Congrats and enjoy.

joekilgobinet
12-06-2010, 11:22 PM
England shocking tonight.
Even after Americans gave them a goal start!

C. Flower
12-06-2010, 11:23 PM
Sports Bar has just gone public, boys. Adjust your ties, please, and mind the langwage :)

BrendanGalway
12-06-2010, 11:26 PM
England..... When I saw Heskey appear on the pitch, I knew it was going to be one of those nights for them. Black mark against Capello for includihg him and subsequently playing the long-ball game for 90 minutes. Brutal to watch.

Slim Buddha
13-06-2010, 07:47 AM
Heskey was not the worst performer for England, given the tactics Capell erroneously selected. Lampard was shocking. Carragher was unconvincing. Rooney was absent for long periods.

Here's a thought. Russia were semi-finalists in Euro 2008 under Guus Hiddink. And under Hiddink, Russia were defeated over 180 minutes in the play-offs by Slovenia. England are assuming a win over Slovenia. I don't see this as a particularly easy game for England, given the evidence of last night.

BrendanGalway
13-06-2010, 06:52 PM
Another day of hard work. And thats just watching them play. Lets hope the Aussies and the Germans can rustle something up.

To be fair, the First and Second rounds of the World Cup group stages are often Hit and Miss affairs. Its when the third round of group games are upon us, it gets Interesting. Thats when its do or die for about two teams in every group.

moss
13-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Another day of hard work. And thats just watching them play. Lets hope the Aussies and the Germans can rustle something up.

To be fair, the First and Second rounds of the World Cup group stages are often Hit and Miss affairs. Its when the third round of group games are upon us, it gets Interesting. Thats when its do or die for about two teams in every group.

Yep. Def 2 poor games today so far. Fair summary of the group stages though.

Slim Buddha
13-06-2010, 07:23 PM
I don't know what ITV are paying Chiles but it is too much. His comments on John Travolta's presence with the Australian squad illustrates a lack of research (Travolta has a commercial pilots licence and a contract with Quantas, a sponsor of the Australian team). Apart from which, ITV's coverage is not great anyway, as the missing of the England goal by ITV HD last night demonstrates.

Let's hope that tonights game is a significant improvement on the other two today, which were terrible. I think Germany could actually improve without Ballack. Here goes............

mutley
13-06-2010, 07:30 PM
I'm going to force myself to watch this match

5intheface
13-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Simon Cowell appears to be refereeing.

Jeez that some high waistband. :eek:

mutley
13-06-2010, 07:34 PM
Simon Cowell appears to be refereeing.

Jeez that some high waistband. :eek:

No dissing of Simon :D

moss
13-06-2010, 07:35 PM
I'm going to force myself to watch this match

Support for the Germans will be seen as anti semetic ;)

I have 2 german players in my fantasy team. Go on the huns :)

mutley
13-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Support for the Germans will be seen as anti semetic ;)

I have 2 german players in my fantasy team. Go on the huns :)

I should have entered the fantasy league ;)

5intheface
13-06-2010, 07:38 PM
Go on the huns :)

No, I think Craig Moore is on the Australia team.

5intheface

You still can.

mutley
never mind the goal, who is the hottie on the bench, the Jude Law lookalike?

moss
13-06-2010, 07:40 PM

Whats your team name ??

mutley
You still can.

i'm useless when it comes to anything football related :(

5intheface
never mind the goal, who is the hottie on the bench, the Jude Law lookalike?

Don't lower the tone mutley.

Right, back to the ref's shorts.....

mutley
13-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Whats your team name ??

I didn't enter it

5intheface
13-06-2010, 07:41 PM
i'm useless when it comes to anything football related :(

Even Jesus was poor on crosses.

moss
13-06-2010, 07:43 PM
I didn't enter it

5 says you still can. I for one believe you are a master of talking balls :p

(please enter and I might not come last)

mutley
13-06-2010, 07:44 PM
5 says you still can. I for one believe you are a master of talking balls :p

(please enter and I might not come last)

post the link and I'll give it a whirl

5intheface
13-06-2010, 07:46 PM
It's easy mutley just sign up then pick 2 players from

New Zealand
North Korea
Greece
Slovenia
Paraguay
England
Kilkenny and
Man Utd.

5intheface
13-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Anyone interested in Association Ground Ball, why not enter a fantasy team for the forthcoming event, it may keep you interested even after England have been ejected on penalties.

Just click on this link

http://en.mcdonalds.fantasy.fifa.com/

Sign up free, create your team and join our very own league by entering this code in the 'Join League' section.

447875-103133

Hurry now, we already have one team.

mutley
It's easy mutley just sign up then pick 2 players from

New Zealand
North Korea
Greece
Slovenia
Paraguay
England
Kilkenny and
Man Utd.

I'm not that niave 5, post me the link or are you afraid of getting beat by a girl? :D

moss
post the link and I'll give it a whirl

http://en.mcdonalds.fantasy.fifa.com/M/home.mc

And to add abit more flavour..

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/sexy-football-world-cup-hunks-14833628.html

:D

5intheface
13-06-2010, 07:49 PM
I'm not that niave 5, post me the link or are you afraid of getting beat by a girl? :D

England was the giveaway, wasn't it?

mutley
13-06-2010, 07:52 PM
http://en.mcdonalds.fantasy.fifa.com/M/home.mc

And to add abit more flavour..

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/sexy-football-world-cup-hunks-14833628.html

There seems to be a lot of registrarion info involved, I can't be arsed with all that, and that is before the headwreck of picking a team! :eek:

mutley
13-06-2010, 07:53 PM
England was the giveaway, wasn't it?

Yip ;)

moss
13-06-2010, 07:53 PM
There seems to be a lot of registrarion info involved, I can't be arsed with all that, and that is before the headwreck of picking a team! :eek:

I thought the second link could have persuaded you

mutley
13-06-2010, 07:54 PM
I thought the second link could have persuaded you

I think it distracted me from the original link

moss
13-06-2010, 07:56 PM
The Aussies could well be the dark horses this time.

(perfect timing.....Germany just scored, again)

moss
13-06-2010, 07:59 PM
I think it distracted me from the original link

A team has been dedicated in your honour. Lets hope Mutleys Marauders don't finish last.

mutley
13-06-2010, 08:06 PM
A team has been dedicated in your honour. Lets hope Mutleys Marauders don't finish last.

I just saw that, now I have 2 teams, I bet Mutley's Marauders have about 120 credits still left in the bank lol

moss
13-06-2010, 08:09 PM
I just saw that, now I have 2 teams, I bet Mutley's Marauders have about 120 credits still left in the bank lol

I noticed a team from the O6C. Nice flag. (why is there no boke smilies ?)

mutley
13-06-2010, 08:11 PM
I noticed a team from the O6C. Nice flag. (why is there no boke smilies ?)

I changed it, after I finished boking, F5 Moss F5 Moss and it will all dissapear :

moss
13-06-2010, 08:13 PM
I changed it, after I finished boking, F5 Moss F5 Moss and it will all dissapear :

If only it was that easy :(

Slim Buddha
13-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Impressive stuff from the Germans. The most convincing display so far. England wouldn't want to finish second in their group.

5intheface
13-06-2010, 09:42 PM
I think Germany could actually improve without Ballack. Here goes............

You thought right, there was an honesty round the middle without the fouling, diving, provoking, bollox.

Your wee man that got subbed with 10 to go ran things. Forgotten his name already.

BrendanGalway
13-06-2010, 10:25 PM
What a thumping. Theres something about this competition, the Germans always seem to show up. Fair play, they looked the most impressive team so far by a Mile. And quite an infusion of young talent in there as well. They looked good, not the steroetypical "Efficient" (whatever that means) German performance, they had some flair, an edge tonight. They could have flown under the radar all this time only to pull a surprise on the Tournament. Interesting.

They have thrown it down to Italy tomorrow night.

disability student
13-06-2010, 10:52 PM
Impressive stuff from the Germans. The most convincing display so far. England wouldn't want to finish second in their group.

Yeah the Germans was very impressive team so far. Next game on Tuesday is Brazil and the Spanish on Wednesday. I'm waiting to see if they will produce the form. Recently the Espana team beat the Polish team by 6-0 in friendly match few weeks ago. I wonder will they reproduce that form on this Wednesday??

For me, the Germans have already prepared well for the WC throughout the history. They were beaten in the final in 2006 by Italians. The Italians are not reckoned to the same force as they were in 2006. Lippi had said that he will step down after the WC.

disability student
13-06-2010, 10:57 PM

Caplello got his tactics wrong by playing long ball to Heskey as it was predictable to watch it.Midfield looks ok but Uncle Sam played it right and got it right re tactics compared to Australia tonight. The Aussies were aiming for the legs instead of the ball. Cahill got himself sent off.

Their defence looks shaky and nervous on the back foot however they are good on a quick counter attacking. I'm aint betting them as they have a history of hyping themselves upon many occasions.

5intheface
13-06-2010, 10:58 PM
They were beaten in the final in 2006 by Italians. The Italians are not reckoned to the same force as they were in 2006. Lippi had said that he will step down after the WC.

Think it was the 2008 Euro final the Germans lost, to Spain.

2006 final was Zidane's headbut, Italy beating France.

Never rule the Germans out.

disability student
13-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Think it was the 2008 Euro final the Germans lost, to Spain.

2006 final was Zidane's headbut, Italy beating France.

Never rule the Germans out.

Yeah you got it right & apologies re my error. True re your comment -never rule out the Germans as they have the knack of preparing well for almost every WC.

Germans seems to play better without Bollox Ballack.That was interesting to see it without him.

5intheface
13-06-2010, 11:45 PM
Yeah you got it right & apologies re my error. True re your comment -never rule out the Germans as they have the knack of preparing well for almost every WC.

Germans seems to play better without Bollox Ballack.That was interesting to see it without him.

Your point is still valid all right.

disability student
14-06-2010, 12:02 AM
Your point is still valid all right.

What's your predictions for this WC??

Slim Buddha
14-06-2010, 04:31 AM
You thought right, there was an honesty round the middle without the fouling, diving, provoking, bollox.

Your wee man that got subbed with 10 to go ran things. Forgotten his name already.

Özil. He plays for Werder Bremen. He could really shine at this World Cup. Ballack slowed things up but Özil is a player with great vision and first class distribution of the ball. Last night he showed what he could do without Ballack to inhibit him. Ghana will be a different sort of opponent and it will be a fascinating contrast in styles.

Slim Buddha
14-06-2010, 01:52 PM
The Dutch are one up through an o.g. Another less than riveting game but it is better than watching Greece.

Cassandra Syndrome
14-06-2010, 01:55 PM
There is a facebook campaign started this morning to ban those f*cking Vuvuzela horn yokes. Over 100,000 fans already. Of course FIFA president has already dimissed these calls as intolerance.

Slim Buddha
14-06-2010, 08:33 PM
There is a facebook campaign started this morning to ban those f*cking Vuvuzela horn yokes. Over 100,000 fans already. Of course FIFA president has already dimissed these calls as intolerance.

........as has Mick McCarthy, no less. Italy chasing the game after conceding a headed goal to Paraguay due to sloppy defending. Yes, it's not a typo. "Italy........sloppy defending".

toxic avenger
14-06-2010, 08:48 PM
The Italians won't be going anywhere, playing like this. Pisspoor so far.

mutley
14-06-2010, 08:49 PM
The Italians won't be going anywhere, playing like this. Pisspoor so far.

You spoke to soon :D

toxic avenger
14-06-2010, 08:50 PM
You spoke to soon :D

Inevitably. It's a strange gift I have...

C. Flower
14-06-2010, 08:57 PM

RTE news this morning said the plea had fallen on deaf ears. Seriously.

disability student
14-06-2010, 09:53 PM
Özil. He plays for Werder Bremen. He could really shine at this World Cup. Ballack slowed things up but Özil is a player with great vision and first class distribution of the ball. Last night he showed what he could do without Ballack to inhibit him. Ghana will be a different sort of opponent and it will be a fascinating contrast in styles.

He is a find for the Germans as they must use him in the coming games.

Italians weren't great in the 1st half with their defence bit sloppy at times. Paraguay played well in the 1st half and kind of faded in the 2nd half.

Italians were bit dirtier in their tackles around the pitch which resulted in many yellow cards issued. I thought it was a red card at one stage but the ref decided it was a yellow.

I rather see Gattuso at midfield. Buffon was taken off as a sub. It only indicates that Lippi is willing to take more risks than Capello. Buffon had a poor game by his standards as he was nervous. By the game went on, Italians got more confident as they couldn't get another goal. Paraguay went for tactical substitutions, which went well for them and they were aiming for a draw. That was because they played bit poor in the 2nd half as the Italians pressed forward more so than in 1st half.

The Germans was the best of whole lot so far until tomorrow and Wednesday.

Slim Buddha
16-06-2010, 09:29 PM
Phenomenol win for Switzerland today! And Uruguay clinically finished off the hosts. Forlan is looking good!
Things are warming up. Come on Mexico!!!

disability student
16-06-2010, 09:42 PM
Phenomenol win for Switzerland today! And Uruguay clinically finished off the hosts. Forlan is looking good!
Things are warming up. Come on Mexico!!!

Forlan stood out in this game as his team outtought and outplayed South Africa.

The red card was a mistake as it should be a yellow card as regards to tackle. It was more like a foot trip and also a dive from Uruguay player as well.

RSA were poor compared to to their 1st opening game. I expect them to be out of 1st round.

Real shocker of the day was the Spanish as i couldn't believe it.

Also FIFA are considering the change re use of ball which Capello, Brazil and Ronaldo complained of in the next round- 2nd round. The ball has a strange movement when Maicon ( Brazil) scored 1st goal.

Me wonder about Manchester United who sold Forlan to Spanish club as it's a mistake on their part. Forlan is doing very well at the moment. Btw, i am not a Manchester united fan as i call them ' Moan' utd because their manager Alex was always moaning about the ref's, teams etc not looking on his own team as he was biased.

Slim Buddha
16-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Switzerland benefitting from having a great coach. A man who manages 2 teams to Champions League success can't be bad!

disability student
16-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Switzerland benefitting from having a great coach. A man who manages 2 teams to Champions League success can't be bad!

Yeah it's Hitzifield who is a very good coach, who has great track record with different clubs. I thought he would be a lot better than Trappontini if he was asked to take over Ireland.

Slim Buddha
16-06-2010, 10:09 PM
it's a bit mental here in Zürich tonight. Pubs doing a great business and showing no sign of closing for hours yet!! Lap-dancing clubs offering discounts!

disability student
16-06-2010, 10:21 PM
it's a bit mental here in Zürich tonight. Pubs doing a great business and showing no sign of closing for hours yet!! Lap-dancing clubs offering discounts!

LOL :D re lap dancing discounts.... unheard of in here!!

BrendanGalway
16-06-2010, 10:37 PM

After one game!? I know where Im going on Holidays if the Swiss win this Tournament.

Did anyone else think the SA fans somehow blew louder on those blasted Horns when they hard we wanted them banned?

If only their National team was as lively. Terrible stuff from the home team and its a shame. You would love to see the Hosts do well on their own turf but they were not at the races at all.

Speaking of minnows, too bad for North Korea. They are a very well organised side and may yet come out of that group. But Brazil just seem to have enough Quality and Pox to overcome plucky contenders.

Paraguay too, Id hoped against Hope they would beat Italy. No offense to the Italians, you have a beautiful country, but your football style is Visual Torture. Either play the game or p*ss off!

What a result for the Swiss against Spain. Spain's second match suddenly is now a must see. They have to Win, simple as. Thats going to be a great group to watch as is Englands. I should never have tipped those teams to do well, talk about the Kiss of Death.

disability student
17-06-2010, 01:32 AM
I look foward to England's game v Algeria. Will they improve on the perfomance?? Will they drop Green and opt for D James.

Capello confirmed today that G Barry will play as i don't know as regards to G Barry's injury, have they cleared it up or Capello taking a risk to play him. G Barry brings stability and balance to England's midfield freeing Lampard to make more forward runs.

The weakness that i see was England's defence as they have been fragile and exposed at quicker pace. However they are good at quick counter attacking.

More interesting is the French game as my name was drawn in pub raffle world draw along with France. *SIGH*. I was hoping for Argentina.

Mexico present a good opposition to France as i hope that they will take their game to the french and win it. Since Henry's handball, i was hoping for a quick knockout for the French in the 1st round matches.

Sam Lord
17-06-2010, 04:11 AM

Pubs still busy? Clubs packed?

disability student
17-06-2010, 04:40 AM
In Switzerland, beers are very pricey also food as well. I visited there on interrailing and had to stay just 3 days instead of one week. A beautiful country with magificant views on the Alps.

Is their wages higher than here which enable them to afford drinks and booze all night??

Slim Buddha
17-06-2010, 03:36 PM
Pubs still busy? Clubs packed?

It's been a long day and I am getting too old for this "burning the candle at both ends" lark. Great night last night and a really happy atmosphere in the Altstadt. I had a fair few over my normal beer intake. I didn't allow myself get sucked in by lap-dancer discounts because regardless of how high the discount is, this is always a total rip-off. Others seemed to have more money than sense, judging by the traffic around the Niederdorf's seedier end.

Slim Buddha
17-06-2010, 03:42 PM
In Switzerland, beers are very pricey also food as well. I visited there on interrailing and had to stay just 3 days instead of one week. A beautiful country with magificant views on the Alps.

Is their wages higher than here which enable them to afford drinks and booze all night??

Salaries/wages are higher and taxes lower. (Vat at 7.6%) Income taxes, I mean, are lower. Still bloody pricey here.

It seems Argentina have moved from 1st to 2nd gear. 4-1 at a canter.

Nigeria leading 1-0 but have just had a man sent off. Greece truly a dire team.

I hope Mexico win this evening and do the tournament a favour.

joekilgobinet
17-06-2010, 09:37 PM
France go dowm without a whimper against the Mexicans,
So disappointed that a team like France, who show no heart,interest or pride in their country or the competition are in the Tournament and Ireland aren't.
Mexico deserved their win.

BrendanGalway
17-06-2010, 11:06 PM
France go dowm without a whimper against the Mexicans,
So disappointed that a team like France, who show no heart,interest or pride in their country or the competition are in the Tournament and Ireland aren't.
Mexico deserved their win.

Absolutely appalling from France. I was seething through that whole sorry affair. What a waste of a World Cup spot. The cheated us out of a place and they made no attempt to have a go. Wasters all of them. So many of them were not interested in tackling and just seemed to jog around the pitch. No Pride on display, no Doing it for the Jersey or the Fans back home. Pack of wasters.

Slim Buddha
18-06-2010, 04:42 AM
It was fixed for France to qualilfy, from the sudden introduction of seedings for the play-offs to the optically challenged referee who failed to see what everyone else saw. It can only be described as a fix.

How wonderful it is that two Spanish-speaking Latin American countries will probably fix a draw for themselves next Tuesday to ensure they both progress to the next round, thus ensuring the elimination of France.

If you are going to bet on anything in this World Cup, bet on Uruguay 0-0 Mexico next Tuesday.

Sam Lord
18-06-2010, 05:47 AM
It was fixed for France to qualilfy, from the sudden introduction of seedings for the play-offs to the optically challenged referee who failed to see what everyone else saw. It can only be described as a fix.

How wonderful it is that two Spanish-speaking Latin American countries will probably fix a draw for themselves next Tuesday to ensure they both progress to the next round, thus ensuring the elimination of France.

If you are going to bet on anything in this World Cup, bet on Uruguay 0-0 Mexico next Tuesday.

I am not convinced that they will play for a draw. I would be surprised if Mexico settle for second place in the group and Argentina in the next round when the have a good chance of winning the group and could have someone like South Korea instead.

So France are not done yet. It is a very long shot however. They would have to score a few in their final game and they look pretty much incapable of scoring.

It is a massive underachievement for such a talented group of players. I would not, however, be quick to place all the blame on them and say that they have not been trying. I think the manager has to shoulder a fair bit of the blame. Something about his system, or the shape of the team, just does not work for these players. In particular I would question the lone striker approach.

My biggest disappointment in the game was that Thierry Henry was not brought on so that I could see him walk off a loser.

Slim Buddha
18-06-2010, 06:09 AM
I am not convinced that they will play for a draw. I would be surprised if Mexico settle for second place in the group and Argentina in the next round when the have a good chance of winning the group and could have someone like South Korea instead.

So France are not done yet. It is a very long shot however. They would have to score a few in their final game and they look pretty much incapable of scoring.

It is a massive underachievement for such a talented group of players. I would not, however, be quick to place all the blame on them and say that they have not been trying. I think the manager has to shoulder a fair bit of the blame. Something about his system, or the shape of the team, just does not work for these players. In particular I would question the lone striker approach.

My biggest disappointment in the game was that Thierry Henry was not brought on so that I could see him walk off a loser.

You may be right, given the powerful incentive of avoiding Argentina. But, in taking this factor into account, it will be a fascinating game to watch. Especially if France are winning 3-0 and Uruguay-Mexico is 0-0 after 70 minutes..............

Sam Lord
18-06-2010, 06:13 AM
You may be right, given the powerful incentive of avoiding Argentina. But, in taking this factor into account, it will be a fascinating game to watch. Especially if France are winning 3-0 and Uruguay-Mexico is 0-0 after 70 minutes..............

It will be interesting.

I am trying to recall a most disgraceful world cup game from the past when two sides played for a draw making no attempt to attack. I think it may have been Germany and Austria (and they colluded to keep a North African (?) team from going through) .... but I could be entirely wrong.

My memory is not what it used to be.

Slim Buddha
18-06-2010, 07:40 AM
It will be interesting.

I am trying to recall a most disgraceful world cup game from the past when two sides played for a draw making no attempt to attack. I think it may have been Germany and Austria (and they colluded to keep a North African (?) team from going through) .... but I could be entirely wrong.

My memory is not what it used to be.

You are right. West Germany v Austria in 1982 to keep Algeria out. They basically had a training session without shots and stank out the place for 90 minutes. It makes next Tuesday interesting. I think this French team is dreadful and wont be going far in this competition no matter what happens.

Sam Lord
18-06-2010, 02:29 PM
Another upset - the Germans loose.

I think Klose was hard done by. Neither foul looked like a bookable offence to me. The first, he clipped the guys heels accidentally while chasing him ... foul? sure but yellow card? The second was a tackle from behind but its not like he went through the guy ... he went around and got a fair bit of ball I thought. A foul ? Sure but never a yellow card. I have seen dozens of worse tackles in all the games that went uncarded.

Makes the group interesting however.

antiestablishmentarian
18-06-2010, 03:11 PM
There are rumours flying around that 4 North Korean players have defected...interesting..

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/fifa-denies-rumours-of-north-korean-defections/124750-2.html

BrendanGalway
18-06-2010, 03:51 PM
There are rumours flying around that 4 North Korean players have defected...interesting..

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/fifa-denies-rumours-of-north-korean-defections/124750-2.html

I think these are the guys :

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/world-cup-sign.jpg

Slim Buddha
18-06-2010, 04:40 PM
Another upset - the Germans loose.

I think Klose was hard done by. Neither foul looked like a bookable offence to me. The first, he clipped the guys heels accidentally while chasing him ... foul? sure but yellow card? The second was a tackle from behind but its not like he went through the guy ... he went around and got a fair bit of ball I thought. A foul ? Sure but never a yellow card. I have seen dozens of worse tackles in all the games that went uncarded.

Makes the group interesting however.

The surprise was that they missed a penalty. Podolski had 7 shots today, none on target. Schweinsteiger or Lahm should have taken the penalty. The subs had zero impact and Müller should have stayed on.

Still, it makes things interesting. USA pulled Slovenia back to 2-2

disability student
18-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Germany lost today as it was a shock upset. The referee was bad enough as he loved dishing out many yellow cards if it was a CANDY!!

That referee shouldn't be selected for the 2nd round games. He was very poor compared to Uk ref Webb, who had a super game.

The Americans made a great comeback as they were positive in going forward just like the Mexicans. I expect the Mexicans will go through as the French would go out. The french players by their body language wasn't a very happy team as they weren't united as a team.

Slim Buddha
18-06-2010, 06:31 PM
England start with James in goal. That is Robert Green's World Cup over. Carragher playing alongside Terry, so the pace is lacking there. If the opposition were of a higher standard that Algeria, that could be a problem.

disability student
18-06-2010, 06:36 PM
England start with James in goal. That is Robert Green's World Cup over. Carragher playing alongside Terry, so the pace is lacking there. If the opposition were of a higher standard that Algeria, that could be a problem.

Carragher was exposed for pace in the last game as i couldn't understand as to why Capello kept picking on him. Terry is a big man but he can be exposed for fast pace and quick turn of pace to befuddle or confuse him more.

I thought James was injured and Capello selected a couple of players with injuries. He shouldn't have done it in the first place re selection of 23 as it may backfire on him.

antiestablishmentarian
18-06-2010, 09:47 PM
Wow what a disaster for the English. They'll be lucky to beat Slovenia the way they've been playing, and thats exactly what they have to do if they want to go any further

Slim Buddha
18-06-2010, 10:17 PM
England were lifeless and had no plan to break down Algeria. There seems to be a few unhappy campers in the England hotel. Capello's regime seems to work at club level, given his record, but the World Cup is different and his players seem to be unhappy with it.

They have not a lot of time to sort these problems out. But sort it out they must otherwise they will be joining France. THe final match is set up for a fall for England because they will inevitably underestimate SLovenia with possible catastrophic consequences for them.

Lá an Lúbáin
18-06-2010, 10:42 PM
England were lifeless and had no plan to break down Algeria. There seems to be a few unhappy campers in the England hotel. Capello's regime seems to work at club level, given his record, but the World Cup is different and his players seem to be unhappy with it.

They have not a lot of time to sort these problems out. But sort it out they must otherwise they will be joining France. THe final match is set up for a fall for England because they will inevitably underestimate SLovenia with possible catastrophic consequences for them.

And with Rooney in his present state of mind?

joekilgobinet
18-06-2010, 11:16 PM
I thought The French were bad, England were worse tonight, no spark at all. Rooney & Lampard completely off form. If England were under pressure coming into the World Cup what about the pressure next Wed v Slovenia, Win or else

Cáthasaigh
19-06-2010, 12:56 AM
Come on you boys in green!

http://www.world-cup2010odds.com/images/wc%20teams/slovenia.jpg

5intheface
19-06-2010, 01:24 AM
Come on you boys in green!

http://www.world-cup2010odds.com/images/wc%20teams/slovenia.jpg

All of a sudden you like diveball? :D

Cáthasaigh
19-06-2010, 01:26 AM
I googled Slovenia to see what colour their shirts were and was pleasently surprised. We all know that the football is on tomorrow.

StewieG
19-06-2010, 01:48 AM
I googled Slovenia to see what colour their shirts were and was pleasently surprised.

Green is good :)
http://www.independent.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00085/evg12_85270s.jpg

5intheface
19-06-2010, 01:50 AM
Green is good :)
http://www.independent.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00085/evg12_85270s.jpg

Not always

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40775000/jpg/_40775850_rooneyemp.jpg

Cáthasaigh
19-06-2010, 02:20 AM
Not always

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40775000/jpg/_40775850_rooneyemp.jpg

Dear jaysis, talk about a no-win situation.

Slim Buddha
19-06-2010, 11:31 AM
From Green to Orange. Up next are the Dutch. If this lot can stay harmonious for another 3 weeks, they may be a force. Some really good players in van Persie, Robben and Sneijder providing the creativity in a unit with a greater work ethic than the usual Dutch teams that show up for the WC.

van Maarwijk has them settled and they won all their qualifying matches. Workmanlike against the Danes, the Japanese will provide a very different type of opponent but the Dutch should prevail.

Sam Lord
19-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Workmanlike against the Danes, the Japanese will provide a very different type of opponent but the Dutch should prevail.

They did indeed. But workmanlike again. Having said that they are already qualified for the next round .... unlike some of the more fancied sides.

They could be the real dark horse.

Cassandra Syndrome
19-06-2010, 06:54 PM
The Dutch supporters are great craic with their orcherstra of wonderful musical instruments. Its too bad we couldn't hear them this year. I even miss your singing Spanish man with the megaphone that you hear at the La Liga games.

Slim Buddha
19-06-2010, 08:06 PM
They did indeed. But workmanlike again. Having said that they are already qualified for the next round .... unlike some of the more fancied sides.

They could be the real dark horse.

They will be if they can get Robben fit. But the creativity one associates with Dutch teams is missing very much from the current formation. Robben would redress that to some degree. But, as you say, they have a 100% record, something only Argentina, Brazil, Chile and Switzerland with three of them yet to play their second match.

Slim Buddha
19-06-2010, 09:48 PM
Just watched Denmark defeat Cameroon. Hugely entertaining game, probably the best and most open so far. World class play combined with some lunatic defending. It could have been 4-3. It is a pity for Cameroon that this 2-1 scoreline means they are the first team out of WC 2010. It also means that Holland are definitely through to the Round of 16. Tomorrow sees the Ivory Coast play Brazil in the evening match. Brazil were less than totally convincing against North Korea.

BrendanGalway
19-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Just watched Denmark defeat Cameroon. Hugely entertaining game, probably the best and most open so far.

By a mile. Great match, very entertaining. It always helps when both teams decide to abandon the best practices of Defense at exactly the same time.

Dietmar Hamann made a good point that the Asian teams are in the ascendancy this time around with the African Nations going backwards. Its starting to look like a clean-sweep across the board for the Home nations. The Ivory Coast certainly have their work cut out for them tomorrow.

Pretty good stuff between Holland and Japan too. Again another Asian side you would fancy to make it. This is where the World cup really gets going, Third round of Group games. Already Japan V Denmark could be a classic.

ps. Anelka sent home from the World Cup in disgrace. What an absolute waste of a place. At least the humiliation is being piled on the French. A nice 4-0 defeat, with Henry being sent off for diving, would round things off nicely.

Slim Buddha
20-06-2010, 04:41 AM
We weren't the only ones pissed off at the way France performed at this World Cup

Here's Franz Beckenbauer's take on France -

Germany legend Franz Beckenbauer has turned his anger on France after their dismal 2-0 defeat against Mexico left them on the verge of an early exit.

Having previously lambasted England for "going backwards", the 64-year-old has now laid into Raymond Domenech's team.

"The French are for the moment the biggest disappointment of the World Cup," said Beckenbauer, who won the World Cup both as a player and as a coach.

"The manner in which they played (against Mexico), is unworthy of a World Cup, it looked more like they were playing in a warm-up match.

"What really shocked me, is the manner that they accepted the defeat, nobody showed any fire in fighting back.

"One felt that they really weren't a team."

He also accused England of regressing under Capello, playing kick and rush football. But they weren't even doing that against Algeria, who, had they a decent striker, would have won that game.

StewieG
20-06-2010, 04:43 AM
Tellin it like it is . Deutchland uber alles !

Slim Buddha
20-06-2010, 04:48 AM
By a mile. Great match, very entertaining. It always helps when both teams decide to abandon the best practices of Defense at exactly the same time.

Dietmar Hamann made a good point that the Asian teams are in the ascendancy this time around with the African Nations going backwards. Its starting to look like a clean-sweep across the board for the Home nations. The Ivory Coast certainly have their work cut out for them tomorrow.

Pretty good stuff between Holland and Japan too. Again another Asian side you would fancy to make it. This is where the World cup really gets going, Third round of Group games. Already Japan V Denmark could be a classic.

ps. Anelka sent home from the World Cup in disgrace. What an absolute waste of a place. At least the humiliation is being piled on the French. A nice 4-0 defeat, with Henry being sent off for diving, would round things off nicely.

I like Hamann. He was a great player and is a really intelligent bloke, always worth listening to. His introduction at half time in the Champions League Final in 2005 single-handedly turned the entire match on its head. He has a great understanding of the game.

Slim Buddha
20-06-2010, 04:29 PM
It is being reported that the French squad are refusing to train in a show of support for Nicolas Anelka, who was sent home after having a dressing room row with Coach Domenech at half time during the Mexico match. This is farcical. It is so annoying that we "lost" to an outfit that go out of their way to demonstrate that they are not even trying and couldn't be arsed.

disability student
20-06-2010, 06:23 PM
It is being reported that the French squad are refusing to train in a show of support for Nicolas Anelka, who was sent home after having a dressing room row with Coach Domenech at half time during the Mexico match. This is farcical. It is so annoying that we "lost" to an outfit that go out of their way to demonstrate that they are not even trying and couldn't be arsed.

It is becoming more like ridiculous and also a self serving team with plenty of playboys & prim ma donna's not acting in the ' nationa'l interest. It is a farce really.

Expect France to go out with BANG:D

Perhaps you could call it ' revenge is sweet':rolleyes:

Just in :http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2010/0620/1224272928192.html

Cáthasaigh
20-06-2010, 07:58 PM
According to the paper today Anelka told the French manager to "**** off" and called him a "son of a whore."

Slim Buddha
20-06-2010, 08:22 PM
According to the paper today Anelka told the French manager to "**** off" and called him a "son of a whore."

His colleagues seem to have the same opinion!

mutley
20-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Poor Kaka :mad:

Cáthasaigh
20-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Poor Kaka :mad:

Poor Marty Clarke!

mutley
20-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Poor Marty Clarke!

Tis unwarranted I tell ya!

Cáthasaigh
20-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Tis unwarranted I tell ya!

Well seen you never watched the game.

mutley
20-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Well seen you never watched the game.

They shouldn't be picking on him.

BrendanGalway
20-06-2010, 11:36 PM

Yikes! Isnt that what Matterazzi said to Zidane at the last Final? Good use of Words Nicolas, you classless Donkey. You and your mates.

I saw that Training ground bust up today on the News. They all get together in front of the Media and then decide to head back to the Bus. Bunch of spoilt brats. Its so maddening. What a waste.

Thats two Nations they have cheated now.

Fraxinus
20-06-2010, 11:46 PM
The Italians are looking pretty awful too. In fairness if Ireland had just upped their game in the qualifers they could have got top spot and we wouldn't need to be complaining about the French. The French are there because they took their chances. We didn't.

Terry did a controversial press conference as well, strange seeing that he isn't even captain anymore.

antiestablishmentarian
20-06-2010, 11:51 PM
North Korea and Portugal tomorrow, should be interesting to see how that one goes, I don't think Portugal have the steel or class of Brazil and a shock could be on the cards here.

Fraxinus
21-06-2010, 12:11 AM

Definitely true. Very disappointing show from the teams playing on their home continent. Granted Cameroon had camp trouble and Ghana have been unlucky with injuries. The Ivory Coast just turned into thugs today when Brazil were outplaying them.
I really hoped and thought some African nations were going to make an impact in this world cup.

BrendanGalway
21-06-2010, 12:19 AM
North Korea and Portugal tomorrow, should be interesting to see how that one goes, I don't think Portugal have the steel or class of Brazil and a shock could be on the cards here.

I hope NK blow them off the pitch. The site of that preening Peacock strutting around the place would put me off Beer. The Asian sides seem to be doing well so far, NK aquitted themselves well against Brazil in defence, more than enough to swallow Ronaldo up. The only doubts are up-front.

Cáthasaigh
21-06-2010, 12:27 AM
Yikes! Isnt that what Matterazzi said to Zidane at the last Final? Good use of Words Nicolas, you classless Donkey. You and your mates.

I saw that Training ground bust up today on the News. They all get together in front of the Media and then decide to head back to the Bus. Bunch of spoilt brats. Its so maddening. What a waste.

Thats two Nations they have cheated now.

You have to wonder if the Thierry Henri handball incident had anything to do with the French situation. Was there not talk at the time that the French public mood wasn't positive about it and the tainted nature of their team's participation in the competition?

antiestablishmentarian
21-06-2010, 12:45 AM
You have to wonder if the Thierry Henri handball incident had anything to do with the French situation. Was there not talk at the time that the French public mood wasn't positive about it and the tainted nature of their team's participation in the competition?

I was working in France at the time and anyone I spoke to thought it was a shameful way to qualify, and many were annoyed as well because it meant Domenech, who is widely disliked, would stay on for another 6 months or so.

BrendanGalway
21-06-2010, 12:51 AM

I was working in France at the time and anyone I spoke to thought it was a shameful way to qualify, and many were annoyed as well because it meant Domenech, who is widely disliked, would stay on for another 6 months or so.

To be Fair to the French Media and Supporters, they made no secret of their disgust at the Events of that night and admitted that they were going through thanks to cheating. Id imagine for any True fan, it takes the sheen off the Tournament because you know you stole that place.

This situation with the players though seems to be very much Management related. they dont like the guy and so have decided to Nuke their own tournament chances to spite him. Not the most Classy, Mature response you could come up with.

Slim Buddha
21-06-2010, 04:55 AM
Most French people I know can't wait to see Laurent Blanc take over as Blanc is a popular figure in France and will having the backing of the supporters. As for this World Cup, they just want it to end asap and, more pertinently, the international careers of many of these players to end asap.

BrendanGalway
21-06-2010, 02:25 PM
I hope NK blow them off the pitch.

Well, it didnt quite work out that way. Final score : North Korea Nil, Portugal SEVEN.

Dear Leader will not be pleased.

antiestablishmentarian
21-06-2010, 03:06 PM
I think I had better stop making predictions about how this WC is going to go...there goes my chance of winning €50 on North Korea...

electionlit
21-06-2010, 03:14 PM
Souness and his theory that England were crap because of Altitude training .....

Part 1
YouTube- Souness explains the effects of altitude on the England squad - Part 1

Part 2

YouTube- Souness explains the effects of altitude on the England squad - Part 2

Slim Buddha
21-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Zürich will be quiet tonight. Derdiyok missed a sitter, Bahrami was stupid to get sent off and assuming Spain win by a substantial score tonight, the Swiss will need to bring the shooting boots into the last match against Honduras. I have yet to see those shooting boots because they rarely get past 2 goals.

Slim Buddha
22-06-2010, 04:05 AM
Possibly one of the more exciting matches of the first round is set for Friday evening in Chile v Spain. Spain played some sublime football last night against Honduras and were worth more than 2-0. Spain must beat Chile so it promises to be exciting, attacking stuff.

Sam Lord
22-06-2010, 04:22 AM
Possibly one of the more exciting matches of the first round is set for Friday evening in Chile v Spain. Spain played some sublime football last night against Honduras and were worth more than 2-0. Spain must beat Chile so it promises to be exciting, attacking stuff.

Yea, I'm really looking forward to that one ... should be a cracker. Spain looked great against Honduras but Honduras are nothing great at the best of times. Chile should be a sterner test. The South American teams are proving very tough in this competition.

Slim Buddha
22-06-2010, 06:54 PM
France are gone. Officially. Goodbye to a disgraceful team, an utterly discredited squad and a joke of a coach/manager. They stank out South Africa with their attitude and lousy performances. It was the worst of France.

I wish Laurant Blanc well in his new role as manager of the French football team. May he lead with honesty and fairness and may his squad adopt the same principles.

disability student
22-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Henry handled the ball AGAIN today as it was a disinterested French team with no passion at all for a win. They only woke up for 5 mins and scored a goal and then lapsed into their passionless mode.

French performance was the worst i ever seen ... lot worse than Ireland v France. Henry and Evra seemed to be content & happy on the subs bench.

I am itching to watch the GSTQ (God save the Queen) v Slovenkia tomorrow as it should be some match to watch it. Capello blasted Terry for his 'press' conference as it say it all for me because it suggested that there was a rift between some players and the coach. That's why Capello changed the clause in his contract most recently, which doesn't require compensation should he leave for another club or a club approach him before the expiration of his contract. That said, it would free him to do his own bidding and choose a club which interests him the most
An unnamed Italian club was in touch with him recently re change of mind on legal clause and it's likely that he would resign and go back to his 'new' club.

Carrick and Upson in for tomorrow game as they think Gerarrd and Lampard axis didn't work in the last game.

Slim Buddha
22-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Upson is in at central defence for Carragher, who is suspended. Slovenia only need a draw so it will be interesting to see how they play. If Slovenia go a goal up, England have a K2 to climb

disability student
22-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Upson is in at central defence for Carragher, who is suspended. Slovenia only need a draw so it will be interesting to see how they play. If Slovenia go a goal up, England have a K2 to climb

Going for a draw reflect the state of mind in a content way. It's a bad sign that they would lose or get overconfident.

Going for a win would be the best option as it prepares the mind to secure for a win if possible. That's positive state of mind before starting a game. Also luck would play it's part as well along with the referee on the day.

If i were a manger for Slovenkia, i would urge them to go for a win and give a huge kick in the English footballer's millionaires backside. It would put them into shame. It's illusion that their financial & footballing status would confer them a win as i would love to see any underdog team beat them fair and square just like the South Africans did today or the Serbians did to the Germans. It gives footballing world a great fillip.

Slim Buddha
23-06-2010, 04:41 AM
There is a huge difference between the French performance and the German performance at this World Cup. Germany, unlike France, Italy and England, has made a generational change and introduced a few exciting new players into the starting 11 like Badstuber, Özil and Müller. They were really unlucky that a fussy referee gave Klose a yellow card for what was only a free for Serbia. Twice. Germany kept trying and would have had a point but for a missed penalty. (Yep, Germany missed a penalty!)

France, on the other hand, have been a disgrace. They wasted a place at the 2010 World Cup which must be galling for the likes of Richard Dunne and Shay Given.

As for England.................let's wait and see.

Tony1975
23-06-2010, 10:11 PM
I just heard a Sky news reporter spit out a line that went something like this:-

"Englands victory will come as a big relief to World Cup organisers who feared the early exit of England, along with their band of big spending supporters, almost as much as the fans themselves"

:D:D:D:D:D:D. ********!

disability student
23-06-2010, 10:17 PM
I just heard a Sky news reporter spit out a line that went something like this:-

"Englands victory will come as a big relief to World Cup organisers who feared the early exit of England, along with their band of big spending supporters, almost as much as the fans themselves"

:D:D:D:D:D:D. ********!

The referee at that match was bit biased towards England as he dished out a few yellow cards than usual.

England - an improvement from the last game but not good enough. They could turn on their form as their confidence rises. Also lack of killer instinct towards the goal or lack of forward scoring up the front. Rooney still off form as Defoe had a decent game today.

If the Germans have Schweigster back from hamstring along with Klose, they would have a good chance of beating England.

StewieG
24-06-2010, 03:08 AM
Is paddy power taking bets on the first brit tabloid to do a 'humourous' world war 2 photo/headline ?

Slim Buddha
24-06-2010, 07:50 AM
England should meet the end of the road on Sunday. The were poor against Slovenia but it was an improvement on "dire" against Algeria. Germany will have Klose back and, despite the fact that this German team is relatively young, they should have enough to beat England.

Should England survive, they will at some stage meet Argentina and that will be car crash stuff

Fermoy
24-06-2010, 12:29 PM
The All Whites will be wearing all black tonight . Paraguay get to be the 'home side'

Fermoy
24-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Is anyone watching the all black All Whites ? ;)

Tony1975
24-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Is anyone watching the all black All Whites ? ;)

Nope. But if you turn on the other game instead you'll see that Italy are losing at half time. They could be following the french home in another hour.

Fermoy
24-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Nope. But if you turn on the other game instead you'll see that Italy are losing at half time. They could be following the french home in another hour.
Why would I do that ?
We have already played Italy to a standstill .
Plus we only have the one channel with soccer on and thats got us Kiwis on :D

5intheface
24-06-2010, 04:15 PM
We have already played Italy to a standstill .

That was certainly the biggest result of the tournament to date.

(If you ignore England getting an unexpected draw against Algeria, thought it was awful that the Algerian fans booed their own players. :D)

Tony1975
24-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Why would I do that ?

No reason. It' just my unnecessarily long winded way of delivering a surprising scoreline to you. :)

Plus we only have the one channel with soccer on and thats got us Kiwis on :D

More than I have. I'm watching numbers come up on the FIFA website at work. And I don't even like soccer. How sad am I?

Fermoy
24-06-2010, 04:19 PM
No reason. It' just my unnecessarily long winded way of delivering a surprising scoreline to you. :)

More than I have. I'm watching numbers come up on the FIFA website at work. And I don't even like soccer. How sad am I?
It was a nice surprise too . ta very much ;)

Thats not sad mate , sad is not liking anything else but soccer .... :D

5intheface
24-06-2010, 04:21 PM
And I don't even like soccer. How sad am I?

It's been reported that they will do a full haka if they win. That should cheer an odd-shaped ball lover like yourself tony. :)

Fermoy
24-06-2010, 04:22 PM
All Whites 0 Paraguay 0 .
one or two close ones , and a penalty or two

Tony1975
24-06-2010, 04:24 PM
A little off topic, but not worth it's own thread.

Two players are currently at 64 games a piece in the final set at Wimbleton. It's been going on for three days. Nuts!

(I don't like tennis either - balls not an odd enough shape)

Fermoy
24-06-2010, 04:28 PM
A little off topic, but not worth it's own thread.

Two players are currently at 64 games a piece in the final set at Wimbleton. It's been going on for three days. Nuts!

(I don't like tennis either - balls not an odd enough shape) 3 days ? thats not tennis Tony , thats cricket :p

Fermoy
24-06-2010, 04:29 PM
The oval ball Tony , Union or League ?

Tony1975
24-06-2010, 04:32 PM
The oval ball Tony , Union or League ?

Union of course. Munster born and bred.

Tony1975
24-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Italy 2 down now. Fucked.

Fermoy
24-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Union of course. Munster born and bred.

Do you know the name Joe Manuel ?

Fermoy
24-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Still nil nil here

Tony1975
24-06-2010, 04:39 PM
Do you know the name Joe Manuel ?

No Bells!

disability student
24-06-2010, 04:41 PM
Italy 2 down now. Fucked.

Italian Mafia playing rubbish football which was shocking to see compared to previous Italian teams in the past.

That striker from Slovakia very good at creating spaces as he scored a goal as they aimed him at the target man by giving the ball to him.

Tony1975
24-06-2010, 04:41 PM
2-1 now. A glimmer of hope.

Fermoy
24-06-2010, 04:44 PM
How about Simon Manuel , his dad ?
a Kiwi

Tony1975
24-06-2010, 04:48 PM
How about Simon Manuel , his dad ?
a Kiwi

Nah!
Where are you going with this. I can't help feeling like in being led into a trap. :)

3-1 now. Slán, slán Italy

Tony1975
24-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Tennis finished.
70 to 68 the final score in the last set. Mental.

Fermoy
24-06-2010, 04:49 PM
They both played for Leauge for Munster in 2005 . Father and son , just thought you might know of them .
I think they both played for Ireland too , against England

Tony1975
24-06-2010, 04:51 PM
They both played for Leauge for Munster in 2005 . Father and son , just thought you might know of them .
I think they both played for Ireland too , against England

Afraid not.

Fermoy
24-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Tennis finished.
70 to 68 the final score in the last set. Mental.
Who won ?

Fermoy
24-06-2010, 04:53 PM
all over . Nil Nil

Paraguay go ahead to the next round
NZ come home proud

Tony1975
24-06-2010, 04:56 PM
3-2 Final Whistle.
Paraguay and Slovakia progress.

Isner won the tennis.

Fermoy
24-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Isner won the tennis.
Those two must be totally buggaed ,worn down to a frazzle

Tony1975
24-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Those two must be totally buggaed ,worn down to a frazzle

Taken shortly after the game:-

http://itsgoodtotalk.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/waldorf_statler1.jpg

Fermoy
24-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Taken shortly after the game:-

http://itsgoodtotalk.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/waldorf_statler1.jpg

They be doing ok tho , they still got the birds hanging around .....

bloody sports stars , always get the shelias :mad:

Tony1975
24-06-2010, 08:02 PM
Denmark are 2 down to Japan and in serious trouble.
They need 3 goals to avoid an exit.

Slim Buddha
24-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Japan look more organised and should progress. Remarkable game earlier between Italy and Slovakia. Italy only really started playing after Vittek's second goal. Too late, as it turned out.

Sam Lord
25-06-2010, 02:24 AM
The vuvuzuela has been traced back to its origins

http://www.usefilm.com/images/3/3/1/6/3316/848970-medium.jpg

Think about it the next time you are blowing one.

PaddyJoe
25-06-2010, 02:35 AM
I think the Italians sent the wrong bunch of footballers. They need to go and have a look at the historic game of Florence. 50 players, 6 referees, no subs and pretty much no rules:)
YouTube- Football Punch-Up - Italy

Fermoy
25-06-2010, 03:18 AM
I think the Italians sent the wrong bunch of footballers. They need to go and have a look at the historic game of Florence. 50 players, 6 referees, no subs and pretty much no rules:)
YouTube- Football Punch-Up - Italy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm2hgqa-2ws)
Damm, If we'd played that game against them we would have won hands down :p

Fermoy
25-06-2010, 03:47 AM
The vuvuzuela has been traced back to its origins

http://www.usefilm.com/images/3/3/1/6/3316/848970-medium.jpg

Think about it the next time you are blowing one.

'struth , I hope the folks in Papua (New Guinea) are getting royalties from South Africa for the sales .

Slim Buddha
25-06-2010, 07:43 AM
I think the Italians sent the wrong bunch of footballers. They need to go and have a look at the historic game of Florence. 50 players, 6 referees, no subs and pretty much no rules:)YouTube- Football Punch-Up - Italy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm2hgqa-2ws)

Sounds familiar!

Sam Lord
26-06-2010, 02:36 PM
Uruguay v. South Korea

Nearly time for kick off and I'm getting excited....

This I think could be a cracker !

Fermoy
26-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Uruguay v. South Korea

Nearly time for kick off and I'm getting excited....

This I think could be a cracker !

How goes tha game Sam ?

disability student
26-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Uruguay played well as they have good forwards (Suarez) as he played clever football despite tight marking. Forlan was fair but their defence was good to stop any S Korea advances.

I liked the look of Chile because they played 'positive' football when they are down and out & come back. They are a lot better team than the God save the queen team who was & is overhyped to the limits by the media and the pundits.

i think it will be a 'South America' final as they are the better teams at the moment namely Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Uruguay. Germans and the Dutch represent the best lot of the north hemisphere teams.

Sam Lord
26-06-2010, 05:11 PM
How goes tha game Sam ?

I was actually hugely disappointed by Uruguay. The game was good for about the first 15 mins and then they seemed entirely incapable of retaining the ball.

Better team lost.

Fermoy
26-06-2010, 05:18 PM
I was actually hugely disappointed by Uruguay. The game was good for about the first 15 mins and then they seemed entirely incapable of retaining the ball.

Better team lost.
Aye well , thats the game eh .
cheers mate

Slim Buddha
26-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Brilliant winning goal by Suarez. Uruguay almost punished by knuckle headed tactics of defending a 1-0 lead for a whole half. The way is open for thm to get to the semi-final but they will need to improve tactically

joekilgobinet
26-06-2010, 10:34 PM
U.S.A. on the way home tonight beaten 2-1 by Ghana after extra time.
Bill Clinton sitting beside Mick Jagger!

Slim Buddha
26-06-2010, 10:35 PM
First extra time of this World Cup and a good goal by Gyan finishes the USA and sends Ghana into a quarter final tie with Uruguay. Kevin Prince Boateng's tournament is over and Ghana will have a couple of players suspended for that including Jonathan, who looked good in Ghana's defence this evening.

Sam Lord
26-06-2010, 10:39 PM

He (Clinton) was explaining to someone beside him where the US defence went wrong after Ghana scored their winner ...:)

If there was nothing else good about the US being eliminated at least we will not have to look at him any more.

Slim Buddha
26-06-2010, 10:49 PM
He (Clinton) was explaining to someone beside him where the US defence went wrong after Ghana scored their winner ...:)

If there was nothing else good about the US being eliminated at least we will not have to look at him any more.

True. Still stuck with Marcel Desailly though. In a bit of a dilemma for tomorrow. I can't listen to the BBC commentary for obvious reasons. Mind you, the German commentary on ARD/ZDF can be just as irritating. Swiss TV, SF1, have one commentator for football and he is dire. So the choice is either French or RAIUNO (Italian/"Berlusconi") so maybe the French coverage is the only half decent one left. Alas, I don't get RTE and, for once, I miss it.

Fraxinus
27-06-2010, 12:50 AM
True. Still stuck with Marcel Desailly though. In a bit of a dilemma for tomorrow. I can't listen to the BBC commentary for obvious reasons. Mind you, the German commentary on ARD/ZDF can be just as irritating. Swiss TV, SF1, have one commentator for football and he is dire. So the choice is either French or RAIUNO (Italian/"Berlusconi") so maybe the French coverage is the only half decent one left. Alas, I don't get RTE and, for once, I miss it.

Live on the net? Or is that only available to Irish based viewers?

Fermoy
27-06-2010, 01:13 AM
John Cleese will be just the man for the Germany England game :)

Kid Ryder
27-06-2010, 01:27 AM

I thought the USA were a very honest and spirited team, if rather limited. They played to the very end and achieved their potential at this tournament. They were favoured with a weak group though - they might not have qualified for the last 16 if they were in any other group, other than France's one perhaps. At least one African side made it to the quarters, and Ghana will not fear playing Uruguay, even if they are going to be without two of their better players.

Tomorrow should be a real treat, what with the now-traditional exit of Engurland at Germany's hands/feet to look forward to. TBH I don't think the neighbours have a ghost of a chance, not if the Germans play to current form. Bizarrely, this might be the game when England start playing some decent football. Too late to save their tournament though, I think.

PaddyJoe
27-06-2010, 01:32 AM
John Cleese will be just the man for the Germany England game :)

Still funny..
YouTube- Basil Fawlty waits on the Germans - Fawlty Towers - BBC

Slim Buddha
27-06-2010, 04:43 AM
Live on the net? Or is that only available to Irish based viewers?

I tried this and, as with BBC Radio five live, "rights restrictions" kicks in. Mind you, I only tried it the once. I'll give it a go later today but I may be looking at this on the services of one of the departed nations. :-)

Fermoy
27-06-2010, 03:00 PM
And their off . 1966 revisited :p

Slim Buddha
27-06-2010, 03:10 PM
And their off . 1966 revisited :p

Or perhaps 1990 revisited ;)

Fermoy
27-06-2010, 03:14 PM
Or perhaps 1990 revisited ;)
Yeah , that too . '66 is the one that sticks in my mind tho

Fermoy
27-06-2010, 03:21 PM
Yes ,its' in . You bluddy ripper :D

Fermoy
27-06-2010, 03:32 PM
And again :D 2 nill to Germany

Tony1975
27-06-2010, 03:33 PM
That's them fucked. I wonder what the excuse will be.

Fermoy
27-06-2010, 03:36 PM
The ball , yep , the ball . Its made in Germany .

Slim Buddha
27-06-2010, 03:39 PM
The ball , yep , the ball

You were right the first time. 1966 revisited indeed!!

Tony1975
27-06-2010, 03:41 PM
That's them fucked. I wonder what the excuse will be.

That's that one answered.

Kid Ryder
27-06-2010, 03:49 PM
2 -1 to Germany, really should be 2 - 2 though but ref's decisions are final. England played for 10 minutes and nearly reversed 30 minutes of being played off the park. Funny old game...

Fermoy
27-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Germany are playing a different game this half,

Tony1975
27-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Sweet.

Fermoy
27-06-2010, 04:24 PM
excellent goal , quick and clean :D

Kid Ryder
27-06-2010, 04:27 PM
4 -1 to Germany now. Game over.

Tony1975
27-06-2010, 04:27 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

Fermoy
27-06-2010, 04:28 PM
and again , again ... :D

mutley
27-06-2010, 04:29 PM
England are getting thumped!!!!! yeowwwwwwwwhhhhhh!

Can't bear to watch the cringiness that will be the English News, interviewing the desolated English fans!

Fermoy
27-06-2010, 04:35 PM
the few sassenachs that have shown up are going spare over on the green forum :D

joekilgobinet
27-06-2010, 04:40 PM
They think its all over.....................

It is now.

Kid Ryder
27-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Germany's price at the bookies has shortened some with this result. English football will be in turmoil over this rout.

If Argentina come through from tonight's match, then the coming quarter-final has all the makings of a classic.

C. Flower
27-06-2010, 05:21 PM
Sky News has now moved on to attacking Germany for exporting too much. It looks like War.

Fermoy
27-06-2010, 05:25 PM
Sky News has now moved on to attacking Germany for exporting too much. It looks like War.
Is england looking for another loss already ?

Kid Ryder
27-06-2010, 05:43 PM

Sky is a large part of the problem with English football. Its billions have turned the heads of clubs which once nurtured home-grown (and Irish, Welsh and Scottish) talent on and off the pitch and tempted them into shopping for instant results with transfer coups involving continental European and worldwide players. The result of Sky's billions has been to make English clubs very mercenary when it comes to staffing and player/manager development.

Furthermore, Sky's presentation of the English game does nothing but harm to the football education of the wider sporting public in England, and here too.

Cáthasaigh
27-06-2010, 07:37 PM

The entire German panel for the world cup plays in their domestic league. This was a great result for Germany, for football and for humanity in general. If England actually won a world cup it wouldn't be safe to watch the TV or buy an English paper for at least 2 decades.

Slim Buddha
27-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Mexico hard done by with another wrong decision going against them. Tevez was offside when Messi played him through from the rebound off Oscar Perez but the decision has to stand despite everybody, including the linesman, knowing it was wrong. Blatter's rejection of technology seems untenable.

Kid Ryder
27-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Mexico hard done by with another wrong decision going against them. Tevez was offside when Messi played him through from the rebound off Oscar Perez but the decision has to stand despite everybody, including the linesman, knowing it was wrong. Blatter's rejection of technology seems untenable.

Yes, another awful assistant referee's decision. Mexico can feel really hard done by. However, they are going to have to play on, they won't get that decision reversed in a million years.

Slim Buddha
27-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Amazing goal by Tevez. And the celebrations by the Argentinians hints at why Englands World Cup was such a joyless affair. Argentina; players, manager, coaches, backroom staff, all seem to be enjoying themselves immensely and unified by a common desire. None of that was in evidence with the £6 million per annum Italian coach's lot.

Kid Ryder
27-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Amazing goal by Tevez. And the celebrations by the Argentinians hints at why Englands World Cup was such a joyless affair. Argentina; players, manager, coaches, backroom staff, all seem to be enjoying themselves immensely and unified by a common desire. None of that was in evidence with the £6 million per annum Italian coach's lot.

Ah, the curious hegemony of stewpot puritanism in Anglophone culture - if you're enjoying yourself doing what you do then you must be doing something wrong.

Ah Well
27-06-2010, 10:41 PM
4 -1 to Germany now. Game over.

Turning out to be one super World Cup :D

France & Henry http://www.ccfcforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/bye.gif

And now Engerland http://www.ccfcforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/bye.gif

YouTube- Three Lions

http://www.ccfcforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif