PDA

View Full Version : Taxi drivers blocking streets and Luas lines

Digout
09-03-2010, 04:42 PM
While I dont like taxi drivers, I must admire their action when they get rubbed up the wrong way by our corrupt and incompetent government.

We could learn a lot from them, we should have brought this country to a standstill ages ago.

ZANU-FF
09-03-2010, 04:45 PM
What are they protesting? A fall off in business?

Digout
09-03-2010, 04:47 PM
I aint so sure whats up with them.

I would be nice if this was a spark to kick off something bigger, but taxi drivers are not loved by the public anyway.

ZANU-FF
09-03-2010, 04:51 PM
I aint so sure whats up with them.

I would be nice if this was a spark to kick off something bigger, but taxi drivers are not loved by the public anyway.

What makes them unpopular?

Does nobody love them? (sic)

Can Disney make a contemporary fairytale starring a taxidriver (ala Shrek) or will Dreamworks beat them to it?

Cassandra Syndrome
09-03-2010, 05:01 PM
"Its too bad the only people who know how to run the world are too busy driving taxis and cutting hair"

I have learned a lot on life from Taxi drivers. Its all a bit A La Carte and a hell a lot of filtering needed, but a lot of them are philosophical.

The more restless the natives the better.

People Korps
09-03-2010, 05:01 PM
they have become a political pawn that certain right wingers think can be used as a brown shirt style force, and general boorish agitators.

they tried to shut the city down on polling day for Lisbon 2 (http://peoplekorps.blogspot.com/2009/10/anti-lisbon-taxi-drivers-block-dublin.html) which shoulkd have been answered with batton charges and tow trucks.

However they are still there to be used as pawns. The bubba style whitie ones think they are the front line against coloured folk "ruining our culture" ( East Enders?)

They have various fronts like We The people, Taxi Drivers for change and others. recent report on racism on O Connell st rank . I have noted this before
http://peoplekorps.blogspot.com/2009/10/anti-lisbon-taxi-drivers-must-be.html

http://peoplekorps.blogspot.com/2009/06/dublin-taxi-drivers-sporting-illegal.html

Tony1975
09-03-2010, 05:02 PM
Taxi Drivers were quite happy to leave me standing on the side of the road for hours on end before deregulation, just so they could have a guaranteed stream of customers.

I have no sympathy for them now. I see no reason why there should be a cap no taxi numbers any more that there will ever be a cap on barbers, butchers or newsagents.

People Korps
09-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Taxi Drivers were quite happy to leave me standing on the side of the road for hours on end before deregulation, just so they could have a guaranteed stream of customers.

I have no sympathy for them now. I see no reason why there should be a cap no taxi numbers any more that there will ever be a cap on barbers, butchers or newsagents.

well we should cap any of them that sport "We The People" bumper stickers or utter racist crap to customers or fellow drivers, or who operate racist cartels on ranks like the one at O Connell st and Busaras

Xray
09-03-2010, 05:12 PM
The taxi situation before deregulation was dreadful, they way over played their hand then. The PDs got many a vote out of shafting them.

It does seem to have gone too far in the other direction now though if the stories reported in the media are true. Blocking the streets is a predictable reaction to the contempt everyone with a gripe is treated. I can sympathize with their anger.

C. Flower
09-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Two taxi drivers having been sitting in at the Regulator's office since yesterday. There have been High Court injunctions served today.
O'Connell Street I believe is still blocked - if anyone is about with a phone, perhaps they would keep us posted.

If the taxi Regulator is as cracked as the Energy Regulator, its no surprising the taxi drivers are desperate. She refuses to Regulate the number of cabs, no matter how low the income falls. Its hard to see what is Regulated, as we don't have "the knowledge" like in the UK and the cabs are pretty random in quality. Prices were set too high, around our way they have dropped way below the Regulators price. The Regulator admitted on the radio that drivers have to drive something like 70 hours a week to make a proper living and she didn't seem to see anything wrong with that.

The racist group I'm sure are a bad bunch, but not all taxi drivers are that way, and this demonstration is about their survival, I guess.

People Korps
10-03-2010, 01:02 PM
Well it seems that Taxi Drivers for Change personnel are up to their necks in the Irish Taxi Council (ITC)
Frank Byrne of the ITC said the protesters were seeking full implementation of an 11-point plan recommended by the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Transport which, he said, had been “ignored” by Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0310/breaking5.html (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0310/breaking5.html)

Press release 12/6/09 (Meeting with Dept of Transport)

Grass roots campaign group Taxi Drivers For Change have announced today that they will be meeting senior officials of the Dept of Transport next Thursday 18th of June to discuss their submission document "change for the better"

This is being seen by TDFC as a positive step forward in attaining their objectives set out at the beginning of their campaign last January. The document "change for the better" contains the opinions and ideas of thousands of taxi drivers from around the Country as to the solutions required to provide a first class Taxi service for the Public in the future. Taxi Drivers For Change's supporters and supporting associations from around the country are pleased to see their opinions being considered seriously by the people who are responsible for effecting change in the taxi industry

Spokesman for Taxi Drivers For Change Frank Byrne says," we are pleased for our supporters who have marched and protested in their cars for the last 6 months that progress is being made with the campaign".

taxi Drivers for Change http://taxidriversforchange.org/press.html

People Korps
10-03-2010, 02:15 PM
The new taxi group organised in July 2009, in the aftermath of the Libertas defeat in the Euro elections.
image of these white folks is too big so follow link below

http://taxieire.lefora.com/composition/attachment/e178001b782d8532f6018dc5709ff379/269867/taxi%20comitee.jpg

These boys are the representative face of Irish taxi drivers, beirkeller more like.

July 22 2009 New national taxi council formed.
Categories > International Taxi news http://taxieire.lefora.com/2009/07/25/july-22-2009-new-national-taxi-council-formed/

Stendec
10-03-2010, 04:21 PM
any of them that blocks the road should loose there license!!

evercloserunion
10-03-2010, 05:40 PM
The whole system needs to be completely and utterly reformed. We have the worst of both worlds at the moment. Deregulation means the market is hopelessly oversupplied, even in an economic boom and especially in a recession. Regulation, on the other hand, keeps prices too high. But this is partially the fault of the taxi drivers themselves. It is possible to haggle taxi drivers down, and some of them, if they are smart, will give you a discounted fare in exchange for your business. But the reality is that taxi drivers form cartels in order to drive up prices artificially to the detriment of customers, and to the long-term detriment of taxi drivers generally. This is especially the case in Dublin. I've known people who have tried to haggle down the price of a taxi in a rank, and as a result they were shut out by all taxis in that rank--no one would even speak to them. If this happened in any normal industry the competition authorities would be in there sorting things out. This is what we need to do with taxi drivers. We need to create an environment where prices reflect supply and demand. We also need to look at the reasons why the industry is being flooded beyond capacity with taxi drivers. i suspect one reason for this is the artificially high fares, so that would be tackled by introducing competition. We also need to look at introducing more stringent testing requirements for acquiring a taxi license--for example, showing a detailed knowledge of the area, good driving skills etc. And of course, no taxi drivers with a dodgy history, for example of violence or criminality, because of the nature of the job.