PDA

View Full Version : Why Did Sinn Fein give up the right to A Nationalist Policing and Justice Minister?

mutley
09-03-2010, 03:07 PM
The general consensus, is that Sinn Fein gave up any any aspirations for a Nationalist Policing and Justice Minister, as a concession to get Policing and Justice Powers devolved to Northern Ireland.
Meaning that the SDLP will be denied the Ministry, even though it was thought it would be theirs under the rules of de Hont.

Over on P.ie a Poster under the name 'British Citizen' claimed he would have no problem with an SDLP Minister for Justice, so it got me thinking, did Sinn Fein have another agenda at play?. ie If they were to be denied the ministry, they did not want the SDLP to get it.

Or maybe I am being too cynical?

RosaLuxembourg
09-03-2010, 03:13 PM
You mean "British Citizen"?

I dont believe that he is from Ireland. His posts show the same personality and style of another poster who has had a couple of incarnations.

But you could be right. After all the Provisionals were pretty heavy handed in creating the situation where they were the only real Republican political force. That they would be prepared to do a lot of things to get the SDLP out of the way completely makes sense.

mutley
09-03-2010, 03:20 PM
You mean "British Citizen"?

I dont believe that he is from Ireland. His posts show the same personality and style of another poster who has had a couple of incarnations.

But you could be right. After all the Provisionals were pretty heavy handed in creating the situation where they were the only real Republican political force. That they would be prepared to do a lot of things to get the SDLP out of the way completely makes sense.

Yeah British Citizen, changed my OP

moss
09-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Who ever takes it will be administering British rule in Ireland and will have no real powers anyway. I'm sure SF know this though they'll be loathe to say it.

With Alliance getting it the DUP get to say they prevented a nationalist party getting it.

I don't think though that SF are worried about the SDLP in electoral terms. The SDLP are finished as an electoral force imo. PSF stole their clothes.

mutley
09-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Who ever takes it will be administering British rule in Ireland and will have no real powers anyway. I'm sure SF know this though they'll be loathe to say it.

With Alliance getting it the DUP get to say they prevented a nationalist party getting it.

I don't think though that SF are worried about the SDLP in electoral terms. The SDLP are finished as an electoral force imo. PSF stole their clothes.

Aye the outlook is bleak for the SDLP, but technicaly the Ministry was theirs, irrelevant or not, you don't think that SDLP holding the ministry sticking in SF's Craw?

Administering British Rule it is, but I can't help thinking that SF wanted to be the first Nationalists to have the 'privilege'

moss
09-03-2010, 03:48 PM
I don't think anyone could dispute that it should have been an SDLP post. And yes I'd be fairly sure that SF wouldn't want to be giving them a foot up by allowing them the post.
I'd also guess SF didn't want it themselves though. Their embracing British rule to date has won them no friends in the republican community.

mutley
09-03-2010, 03:52 PM
I don't think anyone could dispute that it should have been an SDLP post. And yes I'd be fairly sure that SF wouldn't want to be giving them a foot up by allowing them the post.
I'd also guess SF didn't want it themselves though. Their embracing British rule to date has won them no friends in the republican community.

I know, but they would be sure to put the spin cyle into overdrive in such a case.
The mindlessly devoted would swallow it whole too.

moss
09-03-2010, 03:56 PM
PSF have a better spin cycle than my washing machine. I'd put nothing past them at this stage. But it gets more difficult for them every step they take.

mutley
09-03-2010, 03:59 PM
PSF have a better spin cycle than my washing machine. I'd put nothing past them at this stage. But it gets more difficult for them every step they take.

It would be more difficult for them with every step, if there was a credible alternative party to them.

Looks like 'spoilt vote' will win the battle for Repubican Hearts and minds this time round

moss
09-03-2010, 04:09 PM
Looks like 'spoilt vote' will win the battle for Repubican Hearts and minds this time round

+1
I wouldn't get off the sofa for any party these days. Unless of course a credible republican candidate is on the ballot paper.

Lapsedmethodist
10-03-2010, 12:53 AM
+1
I wouldn't get off the sofa for any party these days. Unless of course a credible republican candidate is on the ballot paper.

Define " credible " please ?

moss
10-03-2010, 12:55 AM
An Irish man not prepared to administer British rule in Ireland.
Thats only my definition mind.