PDA

View Full Version : UK:Chief Secretary to the Treasury Resigns

Andrew49
29-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Liberal Democrat MP David Laws has resigned as Britain's Chief Secretary to the Treasury after admitting he claimed expenses to pay rent to his partner. In a statement this evening, Mr Laws said he would be standing down with immediate effect. He had earlier apologised and said he would pay back the money which the Daily Telegraph newspaper claimed amounted to 40,000.

Source (http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0529/lawsd.html)

This would never happen in Ireland ... the resignation I mean .. :(

Newsy
29-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Liberal Democrat MP David Laws has resigned as Britain's Chief Secretary to the Treasury after admitting he claimed expenses to pay rent to his partner. In a statement this evening, Mr Laws said he would be standing down with immediate effect. He had earlier apologised and said he would pay back the money which the Daily Telegraph newspaper claimed amounted to 40,000.

Source (http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0529/lawsd.html)

This would never happen in Ireland ... the resignation I mean .. :(

I agree. Would NEVER happen here.

I reluctantly believe it to be the right decision.

However, from what I understand, IF Laws had declared that this was his partner.....he could have claimed more in expenses and there wouldn't have been a problem.

ang
29-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Unfortunately it would never happen in Ireland.

I think David Laws has made the right decision.

People Korps
29-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Britain is corrupt to the core, its the fuedal backbone of the place.

BrendanGalway
30-05-2010, 08:41 PM
UK politicians have no Spine.

- Said claim should have been denied.
- A vote of no confidence in the MP would be called.
- The PM, would the gun to his head, would "perhaps consider his position" and that "Upon Mature Recollection" realise that indeed he lived it up at someones else's expense.
- His collegues would cast aspersions on the opposition and their Mothers.
- He would return home to a Heros welcome.
- And bide his time to the next election where he tops the Poll and works towards a Cabinet position.

Its all gravy. Just ask JOD, Stroke Fahy, Michael Lowry, Beverly Cooper Flynn, etc etc ad neaseum.....