View Full Version : Martin Cullen expected to announce resignation

greengoose
08-03-2010, 12:18 PM
We wait with bated breath!

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0308/cullenm.html

Will he resign his Dail seat as well?

Digout
08-03-2010, 12:21 PM
Rat sinking ship etc. The rest of them have to go also.

C. Flower
08-03-2010, 12:25 PM
There is a bye election or two well overdue.

Xray
08-03-2010, 12:25 PM
I am so uninterested I can barely be bothered to check.

greengoose
08-03-2010, 12:31 PM
There is a bye election or two well overdue.

There is a general election well overdue also! When are the lads off on their junkets? Might be an announcement after Paddys Day.

Surely Lenihan must realise that he is pissing into the wind and his nonsense will not work. Would Bruton be up to sorting out this colossal mess?

Tony1975
08-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Rat sinking ship etc. The rest of them have to go also.

He's standing down for genuine health reasons.

It is also now being reported that another FF TD, Michael Fitzpatrick, has been diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease. It's terrible news for him and his family, and I wish him well.
Story here (http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fianna-fail-td-is-determined-to-battle-disease-2091352.html)

Whether either of these men will resign their seats is anyone's guess. My own guess is that neither will. FF can not be sure of winning any by-election at present and will want to avoid them at all costs.

Digout
08-03-2010, 01:11 PM
He's standing down for genuine health reasons.

It is also now being reported that another FF TD, Michael Fitzpatrick, has been diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease. It's terrible news for him and his family, and I wish him well.
Story here (http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fianna-fail-td-is-determined-to-battle-disease-2091352.html)

Whether either of these men will resign their seats is anyone's guess. My own guess is that neither will. FF can not be sure of winning any by-election at present and will want to avoid them at all costs.

IF they aint fit to serve as ministers, then they aint fit to serve as TD's.

Xray
08-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Sorry to hear of such a serious illness if true.

Votes are going to get very tight indeed regardless of whether there is a bye election or not.

C. Flower
08-03-2010, 01:17 PM
There's something very unhealthy about this health-watch on FF TDs. Its a sign that there should have been a General Election a long time ago.

Tony1975
08-03-2010, 01:20 PM
IF they aint fit to serve as ministers, then they aint fit to serve as TD's.

Cruel, but probably true. Especially in the case of a degenerative, incurable disease like Motor Neurone.

C. Flower
08-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Cruel, but probably. Especially in the case of a degenerative, incurable disease like Motor Neurone.

It varies greatly in severity and speed of progression.

The problem is that FF's strategy was based on a pre-election economic upturn just before the General Election, so they have risked hanging on to the end and making themselves very unpopular.

The day may well come when they deeply regret not have called and lost a General Election soon after Cowen took over.

Does anyone know the maths of Government survival?

Tony1975
08-03-2010, 01:37 PM
It varies greatly in severity and speed of progression.

The problem is that FF's strategy was based on a pre-election economic upturn just before the General Election, so they have risked hanging on to the end and making themselves very unpopular.

The day may well come when they deeply regret not have called and lost a General Election soon after Cowen took over.

Does anyone know the maths of Government survival?

Not off hand. But it has to be down to the bare minimum at this stage. Although the George Lee resignation does give a small bit of breathing space.

Xray
08-03-2010, 03:27 PM
There must be a vast number of guys not going to run the next time because it is no fun any more and they might lose. The thoughts of going door to door must be too much for many.

I would be looking hard at the door if I had a chance.

Stendec
08-03-2010, 03:30 PM
he is only using the back as an excuse to go before he's sacked!!

Tony1975
08-03-2010, 06:46 PM
Cullen gone from cabinet and Dail.

Apparently, the date is to be of a time of Brian Cowens chosing. Hopefully, he'll have a heart and make it sooner rather that later.

A GE is looking a little more likely.

Digout
08-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Cullen gone from cabinet and Dail.

Apparently, the date is to be of a time of Brian Cowens chosing. Hopefully, he'll have a heart and make it sooner rather that later.

A GE is looking a little more likely.

Yes, it has to be a GE because the loss of 2 more seats means FF will no longer have a majority ?

Baron von Biffo
08-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Yes, it has to be a GE because the loss of 2 more seats means FF will no longer have a majority ?

George Lee must be kicking himself. What will he tell his grand kids?

Digout
08-03-2010, 07:12 PM

That he did not have backbone or bottle to make it in politics?

Tony1975
08-03-2010, 07:14 PM

Hey Biffo.

On the contrary, I think that he's counting his blessings. It would be impossible for him to resign his seat now, knowing that the numbers are looking shakey for FF. And, after only a few more months in the Dail, his RTE job would be gone.

Digout
08-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Does anybody have the current state of play in the Dail? If and when the 3 seats go to the opposition will this mean the end of the patchwork government of FF, Green FF and Independent FF ?

Baron von Biffo
08-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Hey Biffo.

On the contrary, I think that he's counting his blessings. It would be impossible for him to resign his seat now, knowing that the numbers are looking shakey for FF. And, after only a few more months in the Dail, his RTE job would be gone.

If he hadn't flounced he could have helped bring down this government. If Kenny avoided shooting the feet off himself during the election Georgie might have been a minister.

Iarmhi Gael
08-03-2010, 07:24 PM
If he hadn't flounced he could have helped bring down this government. If Kenny avoided shooting the feet off himself during the election Georgie might have been a minister.

His heart was clearly never in it.... He was not made out for politics.. Sad it ended the way it did for all concerned

Baron von Biffo
08-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Sad it ended the way it did for all concerned

Particularly the voters in his constituency.

Fing Fers
08-03-2010, 07:27 PM
My first post here, what better than typing Bye Bye Martin, do us all a favor for once, take the rest with you while your at it.

Digout
08-03-2010, 07:28 PM
My first post here, what better than typing Bye Bye Martin, do us all a favor for once, take the rest with you while your at it.

Thats a quality first post. Welcome to the site.

electionlit
08-03-2010, 07:34 PM
On a personal note I feel sorry for him, back pain can be horrific. However delighted he's gone.
so thats 3 by-elections .

Here's Martin Cullen (http://irishelectionliterature.wordpress.com/2009/09/11/martin-cullen-1987/)from his first successful attempt at the Dail in 1987.

Tony1975
08-03-2010, 07:34 PM

Particularly the voters in his constituency.

Both true.
But Lee resigned his seat for selfish reasons. Politics was not for him. I expect that he stands by his decision, for selfish reasons. (Not that I would be overly critical of him for that -I'd bloody hate to be a TD)