PDA

View Full Version : Democracy Corrupted?

5intheface
13-05-2010, 02:07 PM
It seems one of Dave and Nickward's first plans is to raise to 55%, the majority required to pass a vote of no confidence in Westminster.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/geraldwarner/100039646/the-new-politics-raising-the-bar-for-no-confidence-votes-to-55-per-cent-is-more-like-a-coup-detat/

The move is clearly to shore up the Conservatives in the event of a LD revolt but it takes democracy out of the hands of MPs and therefore the electorate.

Ironic that the last VONC in 1979, paved the way for the Thatcherite revolution of the 1980s.

Even more ironic for a party so much in favour of first past the post.

This can't be democracy, can it?

C. Flower
13-05-2010, 02:26 PM
It seems one of Dave and Nickward's first plans is to raise to 55%, the majority required to pass a vote of no confidence in Westminster.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/geraldwarner/100039646/the-new-politics-raising-the-bar-for-no-confidence-votes-to-55-per-cent-is-more-like-a-coup-detat/

The move is clearly to shore up the Conservatives in the event of a LD revolt but it takes democracy out of the hands of MPs and therefore the electorate.

Ironic that the last VONC in 1979, paved the way for the Thatcherite revolution of the 1980s.

Even more ironic for a party so much in favour of first past the post.

This can't be democracy, can it?

If it worked, they'd abolish it. Or just keep moving the goalposts.

toxic avenger
13-05-2010, 03:13 PM
No, it's slanting the field. I saw Peter Hennessy on yesterday saying that the fixed-term thing is a good idea but the 55% thing is wrong, what he termed 'old politics'. I have a feeling they'll drop it the moment it's properly challenged, but we'll see...

C. Flower
13-05-2010, 03:28 PM
They are trying to unhang the hung Parliament by the back door.

TaxationIsTheft
13-05-2010, 05:38 PM
I dont understand how they can change the requirement to 55% from 50% as I thought the Vote of No Confidence is just a parliamentary convention rather than a law. In other words its just a tradition rather than a written rule. Any of you northern Ireland residents care to enlighten us on this Westminster oddity?

Secondly, does this raise the prospect of the coalition collapsing but the Tories continuing to rule as a minority government, or with the DUP, for the duration of the parliament? Thats a bit worrying.