PDA

View Full Version : British Army creates internet Brigade ...

Sam Lord
31-01-2015, 10:01 PM
I guess we can look froward to some new members in upcoming months.

The British army is creating a special force of Facebook warriors, skilled in psychological operations and use of social media to engage in unconventional warfare in the information age.

The 77th Brigade, to be based in Hermitage, near Newbury, in Berkshire, will be about 1,500-strong and formed of units drawn from across the army. It will formally come into being in April.

The brigade will be responsible for what is described as non-lethal warfare. Both the Israeli and US army already engage heavily in psychological operations.

Against a background of 24-hour news, smartphones and social media, such as Facebook and Twitter, the force will attempt to control the narrative.

The 77th will include regulars and reservists and recruitment will begin in the spring. Soldiers with journalism skills and familiarity with social media are among those being sought.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jan/31/british-army-facebook-warriors-77th-brigade

Apjp
01-02-2015, 12:02 AM
Narrative about what?

150'000 'warriors', Cyber or otherwise, could not give the British Army a positive image.

Unless they mean in controlling the flow of information, which would seem impossible. The press in the three countries aforementioned largely support their armies various wars anyways.

morticia
01-02-2015, 07:35 AM
They'll probably be involved in passing around 'support our troops' style messages, something I see a lot of from US, UK and Canadian friends. I'd imagine they're thinking positive propaganda.

Binn Beal
01-02-2015, 07:44 AM
They'll be pushing for Nato membership (or European Security Force or whatever the current disguise is) and we can expect anti-Russian, anti-Greek, anti-Scottish, pro-US, pro-Israel, pro-nuclear propaganda. But most of all, I suspect they will be targeting the real enemy - the Sinn Féin/Left embryonic movement towards government.

eamo
01-02-2015, 11:27 AM
They'll be pushing for Nato membership (or European Security Force or whatever the current disguise is) and we can expect anti-Russian, anti-Greek, anti-Scottish, pro-US, pro-Israel, pro-nuclear propaganda. But most of all, I suspect they will be targeting the real enemy - the Sinn Féin/Left embryonic movement towards government.

Anti-Scottish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Binn Beal
01-02-2015, 11:55 AM
Anti-Scottish?Yeah. Scottish independence would mean they might have to move their nuclear subs. They pulled out all the stops to save the union - the press, the BBC, celebrities, the Queen, the political parties and barely won the referendum last time.

eamo
01-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Anti-Scottish independence. Sounds like they might be that ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk