PDA

View Full Version : A Fresh Approach to Our Mortality.

MauriceColgan
03-01-2015, 11:55 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/MauriceColgan/DSCF3597.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/MauriceColgan/media/DSCF3597.jpg.html)

This excellent new book I came across in my daughter's home was an eye-opener. I cheekily read it when they were all asleep at night and very early in the morning when they were still asleep.

The author a highly respected Doctor himself takes on the medical establishment that offers hope to hopeless cases of patients suffering all sorts of terminal diseases in... cluding terminal Cancers!. ....

This is a highly compassionate account of a great many cases including his own father a Doctor too who died of Cancer ..

Also of a Doctor who looked at homes for the aged and transformed one into a Park, allotment, childrens playground solar and wind powered. No more geriatrics sat staring into space! They were too busy gardening growing vegetables and listening to birdsong and beautiful music.

No more prolonging the suffering of patients with surgery and Chemo therapy when Doctors themselves know the cases are incurable .

This book is sure to have a huge impact as it gets better known. Check it out!

MauriceColgan
03-01-2015, 03:41 PM
Mowl, Cheeky? because the book was an unread brand new gift for someone else. .

I am having trouble with this full stop that I cannot delete hence the imperfect grammar.... My son went to a Grammar school I did not.

What my photos have to do with this thread beats me?
c
Your other comments underestimate the intelligence of other readers here, stating the obvious is not helpful. I suggest you read the book, it will educate you. .

MauriceColgan
03-01-2015, 03:48 PM
http://atulgawande.com/book/being-mortal/

Mowl here is A far better outline than my poor effort. ...... Happy New Year!

By the way I am not fearful of death, just the thought of it is comforting.. .

We all fear possible agony? There again there are quick solutions. :-) .

MauriceColgan
03-01-2015, 07:14 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/MauriceColgan/DSCF3596.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/MauriceColgan/media/DSCF3596.jpg.html)

The view from the house where the book was read. 16 miles north of Manchester, U.K. .

MauriceColgan
03-01-2015, 07:33 PM
What's that on top of the hill? A tower?

Interesting topic and book Maurice.

I think hope, whatever form it takes, whether its hope of recovery with various treatments or from religious beliefs can be helpful to those facing their mortality and make coping with it easier.

Thank you, Saoirse. Yes hope is very important.

I am not religious so I would want to know the chances of recovery just as I had asked the surgeon before my triple by-pass operation twelve years ago. Heart trouble concentrates the mind. Not unduly in my case. I have lived longer than my father and his father. Thanks to moderm/n medicine. Maureen has survived lung operations, kidney trouble, perantinitus/and two heart attacks! We oldies are tougher than many youngies.

MauriceColgan
03-01-2015, 08:48 PM
Being Mortal by Atul Gawande is a fine book for the old, and young, with enough intelligence to grasp the humanity of it.

MauriceColgan
03-01-2015, 08:52 PM
The tower on top of the hill in the photo above is something to do with water in the area. The land I was told is owned by the water board of the area. The following full stop is tormenting me worse than Mowl. :-) .

MauriceColgan
03-01-2015, 09:06 PM
I read them many years ago, Maurice.

Were you really under the impression that you're the only man to ever read George Bernard Shaw?

Why am I not surprised by that?

Believe me, Maurice, I haven't laughed as much in many years as I have today.

In fact, I think I have to go out and have a few pints with heavy strangers to give my jaws some relief from the laughter I've had reading your random warbling about death and dying in the modern world.

Oh, one other thing - be sure to keep your tongue firmly buried in whatever cheek it presently is.

The mental picture it gives me has me in knots all over again.

Yeah, but when he used a full stops, commas, and question marks, he generally used them correctly.

Maybe you should have bought your own copy instead of taking somebody else's then, Maurice?

Go and take a long walk on a short pier. I am accustomed to those on forums that twist everything I say and I use them to get threads noticed.
Thanks for all your help.

Did you win a trip to the USA on RTE radio?

Read my signature, Looney Tunes.

Mowl
03-01-2015, 10:01 PM
Dr. Atul Gawande: 'Aging, Dying, And Being Mortal'

http://youtu.be/VRkr09ZMI3w

Personally, I think his half-baked theories leave more questions unanswered than they even begin to address.

Go and take a long walk on a short pier.

Whoa - take it easy there, Maurice!

No need to be so aggressive, Old Man.

We're just posting on a forum here - not wishing death upon each other - right?

I am accustomed to those on forums that twist everything I say and I use them to get threads noticed.

So you're in total control of all manner of everything here, is that it?

Good man, Maurice...well done.

Thanks for all your help.

You're nothing short of absolutely welcome.

Did you win a trip to the USA on RTE radio?

No, I rarely listen to the sort of RTÉ radio broadcasts which feature such trips as prizes for answering lame questions about the very obvious. I leave that to the very old or otherwise unoccupied.

Read my signature, Looney Tunes.

Looney Tunes?

Am I missing something here, Maurice?

Tell me: are you a Wily Coyote or a Road Runner man?

Spectabilis
03-01-2015, 11:46 PM
Dr. Atul Gawande: 'Aging, Dying, And Being Mortal'

http://youtu.be/VRkr09ZMI3w

Personally, I think his half-baked theories leave more questions unanswered than they even begin to address.

Whoa - take it easy there, Maurice!

No need to be so aggressive, Old Man.

We're just posting on a forum here - not wishing death upon each other - right?

So, here are two of my favourite posters going hammer and tongs at each other in the New Year. Guys, please desist, your fans will be disappointed.

All the best to you both in 2015

So you're in total control of all manner of everything here, is that it?

Good man, Maurice...well done.

You're nothing short of absolutely welcome.

No, I rarely listen to the sort of RTÉ radio broadcasts which feature such trips as prizes for answering lame questions about the very obvious. I leave that to the very old or otherwise unoccupied.

Looney Tunes?

Am I missing something here, Maurice?

Tell me: are you a Wily Coyote or a Road Runner man?

So, here are two of my favourite posters going hammer and tongs at each other in the New Year. Guys, please desist, your fans will be disappointed.

All the best to you both in 2015

MauriceColgan
04-01-2015, 07:20 AM
Thanks Spectabilis, Happy New Year to you and yours..

Mowl is now employed by me. The penny will drop soon.

Meanwhile I am moving on. I have photos to share, and places to go to.

. I am far to easily wound up. Or am I? :-)

homer
04-01-2015, 02:10 PM
Mowl

1. Go easy on Maurice. He is a only young lad compared to others here. E.g. I'm 75 and three quarters. May look at that Gawande book when I am older. Meanwhile I find his posts entertaining and informative

2. I always sample my childrens' libraries when visiting them. I don't mark or annotate others' books, just my own. They have grown up in a house stuffed with 3000+ books, apart from law books. They know that if I don't find books I could read in their houses that I will bring a box of my own.

3. His photographs are fine, imho.

4. Don't be too pedantic re spelling or punctuation.

Posting on boards such as this are quick informal notes rather than a Ph.D. thesis.

5. Ath bhlian nua fé mhaise dhuit

MauriceColgan
04-01-2015, 03:10 PM
Mowl

1. Go easy on Maurice. He is a only young lad compared to others here. E.g. I'm 75 and three quarters. May look at that Gawande book when I am older. Meanwhile I find his post entertaining and informative

2. I always sample my childrens' libraries when visiting them. I don't mark or annotate others' books, just my own. They have grown up in a house stuffed with 3000+ books, apart from law books. They know that if I don't find books I could read in their houses that I will bring a box of my own.

3. His photographs are fine, imho.

4. Don't be too pedantic re spelling or punctuation.

Posting on boards such as this are quick informal notes rather than a Ph.D. thesis.

5. Ath bhlian nua fé mhaise dhuit

.Thank you homer .Are you sure you are only 75? I am nearing 73. But at the pace I live being of the manic depressive genes I may in fact be a lot older?
Happy New Year, sir.

As for books, I am sure Mowl has stood reading books in shops before he has paid for them. Some put back on shelves after many pages were sampled by him.

Phillip Boucher Hayes complimented my grammar on RTE1 radio, but my sister Dolores called from Greater Manchester to tell me she was listening to him on his show and heard him mention me so I missed what he was saying and had not saved my little piece.
. .

As for the book, many millions are dying way before retirement age and they may have found such a book very useful indeed if it had been published decades ago .

My bookshelves are groaning and overflowing. If I had any sense I would be using the library just a hundred metres away, where we are members!

away.

homer
04-01-2015, 03:50 PM
.Thank you homer .Are you sure you are only 75? I am nearing 73. But at the pace I live being of the manic depressive genes I may in fact be a lot older?
Happy New Year, sir.

As for books, I am sure Mowl has stood reading books in shops before he has paid for them. Some put back on shelves after many pages were sampled by him.

Phillip Boucher Hayes complimented my grammar on RTE1 radio, but my sister Dolores called from Greater Manchester to tell me she was listening to him on his show and heard him mention me so I missed what he was saying and had not saved my little piece.
. .

As for the book, many millions are dying way before retirement age and they may have found such a book very useful indeed if it had been published decades ago .

My bookshelves are groaning and overflowing. If I had any sense I would be using the library just a hundred metres away, where we are members!

away.

Yup, Maurice, 75.75 not out. Taking it one day at the time etc.

Wish I was 73 again.

Mowl may be a WUM.

Keep on your style of posting and f--k any begrudgers

Trow
04-01-2015, 08:56 PM
Some words of wisdom, for the young and the not so young....

Quote..So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours.
Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none. When you arise in the morning give thanks for the food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies only in yourself.
Abuse no one and no thing, for abuse turns the wise ones to fools and robs the spirit of its vision. When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. unquote.

Tecumseh. http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Tecumseh

Spectabilis
04-01-2015, 11:53 PM
Beautiful words Trow
.And just the thing to show that with age comes wisdom. We may have forgotten it for a while on this thread, but I expect your words to bring us all calm and fellowship again.

homer
05-01-2015, 12:12 AM
Thanks for that Trow.

Great thoughts to start the New Year

riposte
05-01-2015, 12:25 AM
Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Max Ehrmann,

MauriceColgan
05-01-2015, 07:23 AM
Thank you Trow.

The diminishing role of 'Wisdom' is addressed in the Atul Gawande book above.

Precocious youngsters it states now turn to granddad Google for it.

Times they are a Changing.