PDA

View Full Version : Labour Values discussion forum

Richardbouvet
13-11-2014, 09:48 AM
Labour Values is a discussion group set up by rank-and-file members to discuss policy and to press for faster progress on issues of concern.

As part of a series of discussions, LV will be hosting a discussion forum on health policy, in the context of Varadkar's postponement of the government's original Universal Health Insurance proposals.

It will be held on Thursday November 20 at 7.30pm Unite Headquarters, Middle Abbey St Dublin. The guest speaker will be Sara
Burke, health analyst and journalist and author of Irish apartheid: healthcare inequality in Ireland.

The meeting is open to Labour members and supporters, and to those with a genuine interest in ending Ireland's 2-tier health system.

It is not open to those who wish to rant about betrayals of the working class etc. etc. We've already heard that thanks.

Apjp
13-11-2014, 11:26 AM
Anybody still in Labour hasn't got any values.

As you're the resident party member, why bother even posting it on here?

Your last line is very telling what Labour's attitude is to the people it conned votes from.

Here's hoping a lot of posters sabotage it.

Richardbouvet
13-11-2014, 12:02 PM
TBH, I would prefer a lively meeting with disagreements to a boring meeting with none!

Shaadi
13-11-2014, 12:30 PM
TBH, I would prefer a lively meeting with disagreements to a boring meeting with none!Good luck with your meeting Richard. T'will take a temporary split in Labour to save the Labour party, it's an impossible task to try and rehabilitate Labour as it stands with the Public. Time for drastic action to ride the wave of change that's coming.

C. Flower
13-11-2014, 02:56 PM
Labour Values is a discussion group set up by rank-and-file members to discuss policy and to press for faster progress on issues of concern.

As part of a series of discussions, LV will be hosting a discussion forum on health policy, in the context of Varadkar's postponement of the government's original Universal Health Insurance proposals.

It will be held on Thursday November 20 at 7.30pm Unite Headquarters, Middle Abbey St Dublin. The guest speaker will be Sara
Burke, health analyst and journalist and author of Irish apartheid: healthcare inequality in Ireland.

The meeting is open to Labour members and supporters, and to those with a genuine interest in ending Ireland's 2-tier health system.

It is not open to those who wish to rant about betrayals of the working class etc. etc. We've already heard that thanks.

"Ending two tier system" has echoes of the US disaster.

Is it a meeting to promote private insurance for all ?

Mick Tully
13-11-2014, 02:58 PM
It will be a very short meeting, if it is about values.

Richardbouvet
13-11-2014, 03:36 PM
Most of those present are likely to support a British-style NHS.

The group exists to revive policy debate within the party.

C. Flower
13-11-2014, 03:36 PM
I'm wondering if Roisín Shortall would be welcome ?

C. Flower
13-11-2014, 03:49 PM
Most of those present are likely to support a British-style NHS.

The group exists to revive policy debate within the party.

What will you do, when you find that Fine Gael won't support a National Health Service ?

Richardbouvet
13-11-2014, 04:42 PM
That is one reason I would like this issue discussed. Labour is going to have to decide soon how much further it is worth going in government with Fine Gael.

Regrettably, a motion I had ruling out government with Fine Gael after the next election was not adopted by my branch.

DCon
13-11-2014, 05:06 PM
That is one reason I would like this issue discussed. Labour is going to have to decide soon how much further it is worth going in government with Fine Gael.

Regrettably, a motion I had ruling out government with Fine Gael after the next election was not adopted by my branch.

Whether or not to abandon the final 5% of your principles?

Or was it Always labour policy to have the party leader promote a free labour scheme for the kids of the unconnected?

morticia
13-11-2014, 05:32 PM

That's a pity. Discussion is always good, but I really think a return to core values is called for...minus FG.

I really hope our glorious leaders are not about to vote through stuff allowing extraction of water bills from wages, welfare etc.

The terms "straw" and "camel's back" come to mind.

Apjp
13-11-2014, 05:37 PM
TBH, I would prefer a lively meeting with disagreements to a boring meeting with none!

I don't understand why parties do these things.

What is this like, a think-in?

There's no hope it will actually influence health policies is there?

Seán Ryan
13-11-2014, 06:57 PM
An interesting thread. If only for the reason that it promotes an intriguing style of discussion. Delegates and speakers might say what they will, so long as everybody plants their index fingers into waxy sockets and keeps them there for the duration of discussions.

Everyone can then leave, feeling both enlightened and productive. Remember to remove fingers from earholes as you exit, and to cover your eyes as you go.

Labour values :)

Methinks you're looking for them rather than at them. Good luck on moving beyond the aspirational.

C. Flower
13-11-2014, 07:24 PM
That's a pity. Discussion is always good, but I really think a return to core values is called for...minus FG.

I really hope our glorious leaders are not about to vote through stuff allowing extraction of water bills from wages, welfare etc.

The terms "straw" and "camel's back" come to mind.

A huge risk if they were to consider doing any such thing.

They might think it would put an end to opposition, but I think it more likely that it would poke a hornets nest.

The Credit Union "What's left" survey said that only 44% had returned their packs and signed up.

morticia
13-11-2014, 08:23 PM
By signing up, I presume you mean for Irish Water??
For those of us who did actually return the packs (with 3 kids, I was determined to get all the free allowances as our washing machine never stops), I wonder what happens? Will they go and charge the compliant and let the rest not pay? I suspect if they try that, the other almost half of the country will be out on the streets as well.

Serves me right for signing up, but my psychic powers didn't quite envisage the current crisis.

But yes, in general terms, methinks the hornets are buzzing round the best just looking for the first sighting of something to sting.

Looks Like Mary Lou hit a sore spot this pm (good for her).

Mick Tully
13-11-2014, 09:59 PM
For those of us who did actually return the packs (with 3 kids, I was determined to get all the free allowances as our washing machine never stops), I wonder what happens? Will they go and charge the compliant and let the rest not pay? I suspect if they try that, the other almost half of the country will be out on the streets as well.

Serves me right for signing up, but my psychic powers didn't quite envisage the current crisis.

But yes, in general terms, methinks the hornets are buzzing round the best just looking for the first sighting of something to sting.

Well said 100%

fluffybiscuits
13-11-2014, 10:35 PM

Govt is keen to get us all in so will give sweeteners such as a €100 to those who sign up. Mass resistance happening will make the govt do what they did with the property tax and deduct it at source.

Anybody still in Labour hasn't got any values.

As you're the resident party member, why bother even posting it on here?

Your last line is very telling what Labour's attitude is to the people it conned votes from.

Here's hoping a lot of posters sabotage it.

Can you drop this angry little man routine?

To get over the criticism and deal with the reality of the situation you must as a Labourite acknowledge the past mistakes. Going forward (hate management buzzwords) you get over your mistakes by learning from them however Labours policy has been to deflect. Comments from Joan Burton on protestors mobile phones etc. in no way address what is happening. Id be keen to hear what you are going to say and would welcome any report you write back on the topic.

morticia
13-11-2014, 10:38 PM
Yes, Fluffy, and Richard, as someone who did actually vote labour in the last GE, I'd welcome a report back too; promise not to flame anyone 😉

jmcc
14-11-2014, 02:34 AM
I suppose that at this stage, it will be a meeting for the entire Labour party and all its supporters. However the Irish people seem to have decided that Slave Labour is not working.

Regards...jmcc