PDA

View Full Version : nice story

yi25
28-03-2014, 09:53 PM
Found this on Mother Jones...

http://www.motherjones.com/mixed-media/2014/03/here-wonderful-video-40-year-old-deaf-woman-hearing-first-time

Science sometimes works for the greater good, that lady's face and reaction to hearing for the first time was real nice.

Mowl
28-03-2014, 10:04 PM
Saw that today myself, yi25 - found it very moving.

If you had to do without one of your vital senses, which would you settle for doing without?

C. Flower
28-03-2014, 10:07 PM
Sense of responsibility ?

Mowl
28-03-2014, 10:08 PM
Common sense, more like.

yi25
28-03-2014, 10:19 PM
I could probably live without smell....my wife reckons i have no sense of taste !!!!

fluffybiscuits
29-03-2014, 11:39 AM
Saw this last night, an immense moment of joy for the woman who is overcome. Now she has the joys of hearing various languages, music and its a whole new voyage of discovery :)

Mowl
29-03-2014, 03:20 PM
I know an Irish lady who took a fall whilst out riding a horse, she damaged her head and neck.

At first, all the attention was focused on repairing her physical damage, but it wasn't until afterwards when she awoke from her coma that the actual nature of the damage done became apparent. Something caused her to lose her sense of taste. All foods were now entirely bland to her, the only difference being in the texture and temperature of what she ate.

One may think that the sense of taste, of all the senses, might be by comparison easy to do without, but it's not that simple. Taste is related to smell, so her sense of smell was also affected by her inability to differentiate tastes from each other.

She took to ice cream for its texture. But then there were other strange things she'd do to fill in the gap caused by her lack of a sense of taste: things like boiled sprout and jam sandwiches, cold steak and warmed pear dinners, tea and red wine drinks, spinach in sweet wafers, carrot and marmalade dips.

It was terrible going to restaurants for dinner, as nothing on any menu anywhere would suit her numbed palate. Asking waiters to chop up some raw garlic and mush it up with some bananas tends to get you some funny looks - and even more awkward questions:

Lady seems a bit old to be having a baby - she's not showing at all.

Ladies having their penchant for perfumes and products - she'd wear her favourite Chanel No.5 and spoil it by adding too much deodorant or hairspray - the result: awful.

Last night we discussed which sense we thought we could do without.

We concluded how lucky we were to be having that conversation.