PDA

View Full Version : Rotten bug going around

Richardbouvet
19-12-2013, 11:32 AM
I have been laid flat for most of the past week by a lousy bug that I really don't think I should have got.

I had a fever, chest infection, gagging/retching and exhaustion.

This is the first time in several years I have had this. I have had flu jabs for a number of years; this year I had it at the chemist instead of the GP, and I am not certain they did it correctly.

In any case, has anyone else had this lately?

Holly
19-12-2013, 11:44 AM
Nope. I had my 'flu' jab at the chemist's for the past couple of years and my head and chest are clear as a bell, touch wood. Sounds to me like you have the winter's vomiting bug which anyone could pick up from visiting a hospital.

Richardbouvet
19-12-2013, 12:16 PM
OK, except that I have not been within miles of any of those centres of healing.

Holly
19-12-2013, 12:17 PM
OK, except that I have not been within miles of any of those centres of healing.
But have you been within a mile of someone who was?

C. Flower
19-12-2013, 01:27 PM
I have been laid flat for most of the past week by a lousy bug that I really don't think I should have got.

This is the first time in several years I have had this. I have had flu jabs for a number of years; this year I had it at the chemist instead of the GP, and I am not certain they did it correctly.

Bad luck, Richard. Sorry to hear that you are having such a bad dose. Please look after yourself and keep warm:as these chest things can be very hard to shake off. Hope you feel better soon.

No ideas about the jab. I only got it once and had low level symptoms for months after it, which put me off.

A spoon of cod liver oil a day is very cheap (fraction of the price of capsules) and give a good boost in the winter months.

Shaadi
19-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Yes Richard, we're hit with a flu bug here as well. It's more of a tiredness, dizziness, chest infection type bug than a vomiting stomach pain type one. My daughter brought it home from school and it went through the house..

fluffybiscuits
19-12-2013, 04:06 PM
Yes Richard, we're hit with with a flu bug here as well. It's more of a tiredness, dizziness, chest infection type bug than a vomiting stomach pain type one. My daughter brought it home from school and it went through the house..

Keep her out of school and give her the xmas pressies early!

Just to iterate, there is no point anyone if they have a flu or a cold of using antibiotics, which only work on bacterial infections (there has been a spike in the amount of people asking for them from doctors and to the astonishment of many doctors prescribe them).

Lots of veg and fruit, get a decongestant and wrap up warm Richard!

Count Bobulescu
19-12-2013, 09:02 PM
How much does a flu shot cost in Ireland these days?

Used to be that free or $10 was the standard in the US, but in the last few years prices have been creeping up. $20 is no longer uncommon, and I've even seen $30 advertized.

fluffybiscuits
20-12-2013, 03:28 PM
How much does a flu shot cost in Ireland these days?

Used to be that free or $10 was the standard in the US, but in the last few years prices have been creeping up. $20 is no longer uncommon, and I've even seen $30 advertized.

Free to people with a medical card.

Anyone who is pregnant, immuno compromised, a kid or an OAP should get it.

random new yorker
21-12-2013, 05:23 AM

sounds like the flu all right (influenza) which sucks big time and can drag on for up to 3 weeks depending on yr age..if it is common cold (coronavirus, rhinov) should be out of the way in abt 1 week (also common cold usually does not cause fever in adult males i think, may be not)

for the most part, even for influenza, you need to stay hydrated (chicken soup is in fact a brilliant concoction to go with), all kinds of fluids, stay away from pure water (especially bottled water is too pure nowadays it'll make you go to the bathroom to let go of the very thing you want to keep), go w tap water if you like water, if u like juice mix 1 cup juice + 1 cup water cos juice is too sweet at least here in the US, but you guys drink tea all the time, so perfect, stick w it..

(if nose running, do EVERYTHING you can NOT to blow your nose, makes everything 10x worse, there's couple papers on that but dont make me dig them for ya)

now for that jab --> at least last year's vaccine was about 45% protective here in the US meaning that abt 55% of people who got vaccinated got sick.

sorry science is just not that perfect after all

morticia
23-12-2013, 08:10 AM
Yep, the figure I was given by my GP was 65%, but that still leaves a 35% chance of flu, sadly. Got flu anyway last year, so haven't bothered with the vaccine, since it's based on last years' flu strain. I tend not to get flu for more than 2-3 days anyway.