PDA

View Full Version : London's biggest university bans student protests

Saoirse go Deo
09-12-2013, 12:03 PM
The University of London - a body representing London universities including University College London, the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), Birkbeck and the London School of Economics - has banned protests on its campus for the next six months.

Students who hold sit-in protests in an area in Holborn, central London, including the Senate House, the student union building, and the buildings of SOAS and Birkbeck, can be imprisoned.

The president of the University of London student union, Michael Chessum, told Channel 4 News it was a "draconian" reaction and "a sign that the university had lost the argument".
http://www.channel4.com/news/university-of-london-student-protest-ban-senate-house-occupy

Disgraceful stuff.

Our own student organizations don't have the bottle for protest aside from the odd whimsical stunt so I doubt universities here will have to ever go so far.

C. Flower
09-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Only one answer to that.

fluffybiscuits
09-12-2013, 03:11 PM
Sure we have the likes of Tom Lenhian involved in student unions we wont have much in terms of protest (he just doenst seem interested). When UCD and the other colleges back in the 60's had student activism, it was real solidarity, even the Labour sell outs get involved but now? Apathy is a sympthom of what is wrong with Ireland as a whole today, no one just gives a f*<k at all about the situation we are in . Student movements are one of the grass roots movements along side trade unions and community activism that act as an amplifier for social change ....

Saoirse go Deo
09-12-2013, 04:19 PM
I had naively expected university to a place that encourages independent, critical thought unlike the rigidness of school. However this is not the case at all

fluffybiscuits
09-12-2013, 04:41 PM
I had naively expected university to a place that encourages independent, critical thought unlike the rigidness of school. However this is not the case at all

Nope...

Cheat in an exam and dont be impeached .... reflects really on how we think in Uni's eh?....

C. Flower
11-12-2013, 09:39 PM
Must read -

http://humanrights.ie/civil-liberties/the-law-of-university-protest-notes-from-the-uk/?utm_s