PDA

View Full Version : Energy Drinks may be bad for kids

fluffybiscuits
02-12-2013, 06:17 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25156509

The team from the University of Bonn in Germany imaged the hearts of 17 people an hour after they had an energy drink.

The study showed contractions were more forceful after the drink.

The team told the annual meeting of the Radiological Society of North America that children and people with some health conditions should avoid the drinks.

Reminds me of being with a mate who had six energy drinks and vodkas but had to sit down for twenty minutes after . His heart was beating a mile a minute and now looking back we at the time thought it was the amount of the energy drink he had drank! More research is needed on these to look at their effects.

morticia
02-12-2013, 07:53 PM
I'd be pretty sure 6 of them plus vodka would be pretty lethal. And that Red Bull stuff has enough caffeine to fell an ox.

On the plus side, the son reckons half a Lucozade between swimming and footy on Saturdays provides a bit of oomph. Mind you, I guess he's burning it off.

fluffybiscuits
02-12-2013, 10:29 PM
I'd be pretty sure 6 of them plus vodka would be pretty lethal. And that Red Bull stuff has enough caffeine to fell an ox.

On the plus side, the son reckons half a Lucozade between swimming and footy on Saturdays provides a bit of oomph. Mind you, I guess he's burning it off.

Lucozade is probably good in that the boost of sugar gives an extra energy boost that is quickly burnt off ? When doing science in college I do remember that excess carbs are converted to fats by glycolosis amnd that its better to burn the carbs off as they are eaten. Ian Thorpe years ago when he was swimming would burn in excess of 12000 calories a day and would eat massive bowls of pasta as it is relatively easy to burn off, same goes for rice. Thorpe would swim the equivelant of a couple of miles every day.