PDA

View Full Version : ISS over our heads

BrendanGalway
04-05-2010, 10:45 PM
Anyone else watching the International Space Station lately? Its over our heads the past few days. Only got a look at it tonight. Its in the sky for about 2 minutes. It looks like a star but keeps a fast trajectory going from West to East across the Sky.

Check http://www.heavens-above.com/ for real-time info as to its Position. I think we have a few more days where we get to see it in the evening/Night as it goes over us.

/Geek

Kid Ryder
04-05-2010, 10:48 PM
If it's naked-eye visible where you are, then it's visible where I live. I'll have an eye out for it tomorrow evening, cloud cover permitting. Ta for the heads-up, BrendanG.

BrendanGalway
04-05-2010, 10:54 PM
If it's naked-eye visible where you are, then it's visible where I live. I'll have an eye out for it tomorrow evening, cloud cover permitting. Ta for the heads-up, BrendanG.

Just check the link, you can see it from anywhere on this island. Even if it looks as if its out at sea past Cork, you can still see it from the West of Ireland. The map appeared to show it about 50 miles of the south coast about an hour ago.

From West Galway, it appears out of nowhere, goes over my house in about 2 mins, and disappears from the sky(in about 4 seconds). Like an apparition.

Its actually amazing to watch, a man-made structure in Orbit.

Kid Ryder
04-05-2010, 11:12 PM
It reaches/is expected to reach an optical magnitude of -3.4 on many of its passes over us. That's brighter than Venus gets most evenings, Venus being the second-brightest astronomical object in the night sky after the moon.

BrendanGalway
04-05-2010, 11:45 PM
Its coming back. Maybe 5 mins, clouds over Galway :(

Edit : 2 mins

Kid Ryder
04-05-2010, 11:49 PM
Its coming back. Maybe 5 mins, clouds over Galway :(

Edit : 2 mins

Had a look now @ my location, front of house, looking south. Nada. Damn clouds!

Tomorrow night then.

BrendanGalway
06-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Anyone else watching this? nice clear sky at the mo. http://www.heavens-above.com/ shows it has just cleared Florida, should be here in the next 10-15mins.

Kid Ryder
07-05-2010, 11:39 PM
Missed the ISS by minutes tonight on the half-eleven p.m. transit. Got too stuck into dinner preparations. The night sky was clear enough for viewing, so no excuse except too late. I'll try again tomorrow night.

BrendanGalway
07-05-2010, 11:45 PM
You didnt miss much. It passed us a could bit off the South coast at 11.30 and was somewhat Dim.

Hopefully it stays like this for a couple of days. Im trying to convince my Telescope to track it, no joy so far.

Kid Ryder
08-05-2010, 10:30 PM
Just watched the last transit of ISS - perfect viewing from my neighbour's steps. It really does cross the sky at a fast clip and boy was it bright at its max altitude. I noticed that it disappeared into the earth's shadow long before reaching the horizon (about 30 degrees altitude), and at either end of its visible transit its reflected light was of reddish hue. That's due to the Rayleigh scattering of the light (reflected only on the ascent, but on the incident and reflected alike as ISS disappeared into earthshadow) by the atmosphere, I figure from my old physics degree that I hardly use anymore.

BrendanGalway
11-05-2010, 10:17 PM
Just watched the last transit of ISS - perfect viewing from my neighbour's steps. It really does cross the sky at a fast clip and boy was it bright at its max altitude. I noticed that it disappeared into the earth's shadow long before reaching the horizon (about 30 degrees altitude), and at either end of its visible transit its reflected light was of reddish hue. That's due to the Rayleigh scattering of the light (reflected only on the ascent, but on the incident and reflected alike as ISS disappeared into earthshadow) by the atmosphere, I figure from my old physics degree that I hardly use anymore.

Thats some mighty fine Geeking there Kid ! All I can offer in reply is I tried to set my Telescope to track it last night only to find the Motor is shot. It moves far to fast to manually track it with a short lens. Hefty repair Bill looming.

Its starting to move away from us now. Even the 9.30(ish) passing is falling well South of the country. It still should be visible til the end of the week.

Kid Ryder
11-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Would you have enough aperture and magnification on your main telescope to make out some structure on the ISS?

BrendanGalway
11-05-2010, 11:56 PM
I reckon so. Its a Meade ETX-70, comes with a Barrow Lens and I have a 4mm eyepiece too. It has worked quite well on the Moon, even Mars. The problem is there is simply no way to track an object like that with a 4mm piece.

I think I saw a clip on Youtube of someone who did it with the same Scope. It looked amazing, clear as day. Looks like I will have to wait for my turn.

Kid Ryder
12-05-2010, 01:38 AM
I reckon so. Its a Meade ETX-70, comes with a Barrow Lens and I have a 4mm eyepiece too. It has worked quite well on the Moon, even Mars. The problem is there is simply no way to track an object like that with a 4mm piece.

I think I saw a clip on Youtube of someone who did it with the same Scope. It looked amazing, clear as day. Looks like I will have to wait for my turn.

Just keep on trying BG. Rome wasn't photographed in a day. You'll have other chances to get this right.

toxic avenger
13-05-2010, 01:46 AM
Without being dismissive, the ISS is often overhead, sometimes three times in one night. It can be seen every night for several weeks at a number of stages throughout the year.

Upcoming fly-bys can be seen here with a good ISS tracker.. http://www.n2yo.com/

Kid Ryder
13-05-2010, 01:58 AM
Without being dismissive, the ISS is often overhead, sometimes three times in one night. It can be seen every night for several weeks at a number of stages throughout the year.

Upcoming fly-bys can be seen here with a good ISS tracker.. http://www.n2yo.com/

Yes, we know. The point of the recent series of transits that BG was making was that due to relative positions of ISS to sun and earth that its albedo was going to be very bright indeed. As it proved the one time I gout outdoors in time to see it. Sure it transits often over our skies, but the brightness of it this time was something to behold, as well as its reflected light turning blood-red as it crossed into earthshadow like a fully-eclipsed moon.

toxic avenger
13-05-2010, 02:01 AM
Yes, we know. The point of the recent series of transits that BG was making was that due to relative positions of ISS to sun and earth that its albedo was going to be very bright indeed. As it proved the one time I gout outdoors in time to see it. Sure it transits often over our skies, but the brightness of it this time was something to behold, as well as its reflected light turning blood-red as it crossed into earthshadow like a fully-eclipsed moon.

Ah, I see. I remember seeing it very clearly one night last year alright, the shape and all was easy to distinguish. No match for the shuttle launches though, passing straight overhead 20 minutes or so after launch, I always gawp in amazement when they happen...

Kid Ryder
13-05-2010, 02:12 AM
Ah, I see. I remember seeing it very clearly one night last year alright, the shape and all was easy to distinguish. No match for the shuttle launches though, passing straight overhead 20 minutes or so after launch, I always gawp in amazement when they happen...

Take your word for it for now, but I'll check out the next SS launch. It'll depend on our local time at launch time. I suppose dusk or before dawn would be the optimal viewing times for here?

toxic avenger
13-05-2010, 02:34 AM
Take your word for it for now, but I'll check out the next SS launch. It'll depend on our local time at launch time. I suppose dusk or before dawn would be the optimal viewing times for here?

Yeah dusk or night are best. It comes really fast from the west, like a white meteor with an orange meteor (the ejected fuel tank) following right behind it - passing overhead you can see the outline of the shuttle. There's a launch at 2.20pm Florida time this Friday (14th), but the sun will be in the west then at our time (assuming no cloud), so it'll be difficult to see I'd imagine, even if it comes our way (I don't know if it will, particularly with the ash problem). There are three more launches until the fleet is retired next year.

YouTube- HD Video. Space Shuttle Endeavour passes over Ireland 15 -07-2009

Kid Ryder
13-05-2010, 02:37 AM
Ta for the heads-up TA.