PDA

View Full Version : Budget 2014 - Heckle

Dr. FIVE
15-10-2013, 01:26 AM
Seventh in five years.

Details here > http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/noonan-to-announce-range-of-harsh-cuts-in-budget-1.1560769

Budget details via Dept. of Finance and Merrionstreet.ie

http://www.finance.gov.ie/

http://www.merrionstreet.ie/

RaggedTrousers
15-10-2013, 08:42 AM
Mortgage Interest Supplement gone, I didn't see that one coming. It's practically impossible to qualify for, and it is a key payment which locks families in a welfare trap. It's batting the problem of unsustainable mortgages back to the banks after MARP is over.

C. Flower
15-10-2013, 09:02 AM
The Dail Agenda is here - http://www.politicalworld.org/showthread.php?14887-This-Week-in-the-Houses-of-the-Oireachtas-14-18-October-2013-Budget-2014

Live Stream link here - http://www.oireachtas.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/livewebcast/Web-Live.htm&CatID=83&m=o

Very short agenda today.

Tuesday 15 October 2013
Dáil Éireann

2.30 p.m.

Budget 2014

SOS (30 mins)

Budget Financial Resolutions

12.00 midnight

Dáil Adjourns

DCon
15-10-2013, 09:30 AM
Why wait to 2:30 PM if everything is agreed already?

Other than waiting for a "decent" hour to start the session in the Dail bar, of course

C. Flower
15-10-2013, 09:36 AM
The Cabinet meets on Tuesday mornings. Perhaps it will be the first time for them to see the whole budget.

The Fiscal Advisory Council got a look yesterday.

DCon
15-10-2013, 10:56 AM
and we're off

@Independent_ie: Breaking on #IndoBudget2014 blog: 'old reliables' of a pint and a cigarette to be hit with 10c hike

DCon
15-10-2013, 12:39 PM
Don't be giving them ideas Mark!

Mark Malone‏@soundmigration5m
Gov cuts bereavement grants! The next #Jobbridge scheme will pay unemployed under25's to push old ladies under buses. #budget2014 #Budget14

DCon
15-10-2013, 02:14 PM
Pity they got the lift working again

Leo Varadkar‏@campaignforleo
Stuck in lift with half the Cabinet on Budget Day. Late for RTE. What are the chances?

Independent.ie‏@Independent_ie
Leo Varadkar, Eamon Gilmore, Alan Shatter, Jan O'Sullivan and Phil Hogan were stuck in the lift in Gov Bldgs for 15 minutes

C. Flower
15-10-2013, 02:36 PM
Noonan on his feet. On RTE 1 for the moment, as well as via the live stream.

He is telling us that he has continually defending the 12.5% Corporation Tax.

500 million in one form or another going to job creation measures for business - tiny.

DCon
15-10-2013, 02:38 PM
500 million in one form or another going to job creation measures for business - tiny.

Those FG membership cards will start paying dividends

C. Flower
15-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Hogan's turf getting living in the City incentives.

VAT relief for people improving their homes.

C. Flower
15-10-2013, 02:47 PM
Was that a reduction of stamp duty for share dealings ?

Mowl
15-10-2013, 02:56 PM
I wonder what Lagarde and Merkel are thinking about the 12.5% Corporation Tax?

There's been so many rumbles lately, yet no change.
Makes one wonder.

Watching via RTÉ Livestream. The Dáil website's way too complicated.

C. Flower
15-10-2013, 02:59 PM
Tobacco duty increase by 10% on a packet of cigarettes

10C on beer, 50c on wine.

9% VAT on hospitality services to be kept.

C. Flower
15-10-2013, 02:59 PM
41% for DIRT

C. Flower
15-10-2013, 03:00 PM
150 million from the banking sector levy over 2 years 14-15.

DCon
15-10-2013, 03:01 PM
no change

Cliff Taylor‏@CliffTaylorSBP1m
So multinationals can still use the double Irish ... But the company incorporated here has to be tax resident somewhere ....

Ogiol
15-10-2013, 03:14 PM
150 million from the banking sector levy over 2 years 14-15.

Peanuts....

DCon
15-10-2013, 03:23 PM
100M each for Kilkenny and Mayo

Independent.ie‏@Independent_ie1m
Remaining €200m from Lotto licence sale to spent on road maintenance and repairs, sports grants, a indoor training arena...

Dr. FIVE
15-10-2013, 03:23 PM
investment in Mayo is a surprise

C. Flower
15-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Hogan is making it hard for the people of Kilkenny to dispose of him.

C. Flower
15-10-2013, 03:49 PM
Fianna Fail says it is an emigration budget - particularly because of the cuts in young persons benefits.

1 million allowed for tax relief for new businesses set up by unemployed people for first 2 years. FG knows there will be no take up.

Dr. FIVE
15-10-2013, 03:57 PM
they were all emigration budgets

Shaadi
15-10-2013, 04:08 PM
This is a relatively soft budget to try and shore up support for the Govt ahead of the local and European elections, once they're out of the way it'll be a ferocious budget next year. 2009 all over again.

C. Flower
15-10-2013, 04:21 PM
This is a relatively soft budget to try and shore up support for the Govt ahead of the local and European elections, once they're out of the way it'll be a ferocious budget next year. 2009 all over again.

Very true. With the Six Pack and Two Pack agreements, there would be cuts for the next six or seven years.

C. Flower
15-10-2013, 04:22 PM
Budget details via Dept. of Finance and Merrionstreet.ie

http://www.finance.gov.ie/

http://www.merrionstreet.ie/

C. Flower
15-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Some attempts at soothing the middle class and construction sector, the knife being directed instead at people reliant on benefits.

Slim Buddha
15-10-2013, 04:30 PM
Fianna Fail says it is an emigration budget - particularly because of the cuts in young persons benefits.

1 million allowed for tax relief for new businesses set up by unemployed people for first 2 years. FG knows there will be no take up.

I appreciate an expert opinion.

RahenyFG II
15-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Budget 2014 doesn't seem so bad

No cut to the basic welfare rate and pension rate. Good to see lottery money go towards the building of a national indoor training facility. Airline Tax is scrapped, it was a stupid tax anyway. Tourism VAT remains at 9.5%. Good to see too 4,500 houses and apartments being built in Dublin where there is currently a low housing stock threatening a renewed property bubble.

I haven't heard how tax will pan out. Protect the low wage earners.

C. Flower
15-10-2013, 04:34 PM
€5,000 - €30,000 home improvements get total VAT relief- the idea being to support builders who are not doing nixers. Hard to know how much of that would go to compliant builders.

C. Flower
15-10-2013, 04:37 PM
I appreciate an expert opinion.

Who better to recognise the emigration strategy than FF ?

Slim Buddha
15-10-2013, 04:41 PM
Who better to recognise the emigration strategy than FF ?

Exactly!

Dr. FIVE
15-10-2013, 04:43 PM
What have you got against young mothers? - Michael McGrath

It's the Fianna Fáil four year plan - Government

groan - Ireland

disability student
15-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Nothing much new on budget 2014 as they were very conservative. Nothing major really just give say give 200m from one area and take 200m from another area. It's a matter of musical chairs.

Think there will be outflow of capital/deposit to other countries re DIRT and other taxes as well. That will put a lot of pressure on the main banks balance sheet hence more recapitalization.

morticia
15-10-2013, 05:14 PM

No cut to the basic welfare rate and pension rate. Good to see lottery money go towards the building of a national indoor training facility. Airline Tax is scrapped, it was a stupid tax anyway. Tourism VAT remains at 9.5%. Good to see too 4,500 houses and apartments being built in Dublin where there is currently a low housing stock threatening a renewed property bubble.

Actually, I'd agree. Speaking as a member of the negative equity, Celtic Tiger mortgage and creche fees brigade, I'm heaving a large sigh of relief that the worst to hit me is 50C on a bottle of "Friday medication". To extrapolate from that, I'd imagine this means the mortgage arrears issue won't be made too much worse by this budget. I'm also very much in favour of the under 5s free GP care; I live in hope that they could role that out for everyone; I'm sure it would reduce the queues in A&E at all times other than Friday and Saturday nights and might therefore cost less than anticipated.

I think the stimulus stuff re getting construction going again is desperately needed, more power to their elbows. Construction should probably employ about 200,000 here on a sustainable basis, given a growing population. The current figure is 100,000 and there's now a city housing shortage.

Now to the negatives; funnily enough, I'm worried they've whacked the banks a bit hard; they're not currently profitable and so I've no idea where the levy cash is going to come from, other than customers pockets. The other problem is the DIRT rise, it may have the positive effect of getting peeps to spend the cash stash, but that means the banks deposit ratios take a hit and I thought we were supposed to be encouraging people to put money on deposit with our banks. Perhaps many will take up the home improvement grants, but I'm worried there will be capital flight.

And there doesn't appear to be an emergency plan for if the States defaults. Mind you, then most of Europe will probably need help, not just us...

Apjp
15-10-2013, 05:19 PM
Actually, I'd agree. Speaking as a member of the negative equity, Celtic Tiger mortgage and creche fees brigade, I'm heaving a large sigh of relief that the worst to hit me is 50C on a bottle of "Friday medication". To extrapolate from that, I'd imagine this means the mortgage arrears issue won't be made too much worse by this budget. I'm also very much in favour of the under 5s free GP care; I live in hope that they could role that out for everyone; I'm sure it would reduce the queues in A&E at all times other than Friday and Saturday nights and might therefore cost less than anticipated.

I think the stimulus stuff re getting construction going again is desperately needed, more power to their elbows. Construction should probably employ about 200,000 here on a sustainable basis, given a growing population. The current figure is 100,000 and there's now a city housing shortage.

Now to the negatives; funnily enough, I'm worried they've whacked the banks a bit hard; they're not currently profitable and so I've no idea where the levy cash is going to come from, other than customers pockets. The other problem is the DIRT rise, it may have the positive effect of getting peeps to spend the cash stash, but that means the banks deposit ratios take a hit and I thought we were supposed to be encouraging people to put money on deposit with our banks. Perhaps many will take up the home improvement grants, but I'm worried there will be capital flight.

And there doesn't appear to be an emergency plan for if the States defaults. Mind you, then most of Europe will probably need help, not just us...

Forgive me but would I be wrong in saying the dole cuts to young people don't bother ya? I suppose we are all class based at the end of the day. Marx was right there

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

Mowl
15-10-2013, 05:36 PM

No change to the basic welfare rate? Your love for Emperor Mayo and Fine Gael knows no bounds, to the degree it blinds you from simple facts. This budget shows the unemployed Irish youth precisely their value to our supposed political betters. The cuts will send them to the four corners of the world.

disability student
15-10-2013, 05:43 PM
No change to the basic welfare rate? Your love for Emperor Mayo and Fine Gael knows no bounds, to the degree it blinds you from simple facts. This budget shows the unemployed Irish youth precisely their value to our supposed political betters. The cuts will send them to the four corners of the world.

Domestic demand would go down as tax take reduced once they go abroad here along with birth rate as well. Young people aren't stupid as FG are seen as anti young party.

Today budget is a regressive tax. Not any people would spend their savings/their deposits on renovations or extensions because of stealth taxes such as property tax, water tax, septic tax. So they would spend less on goods and move more of their deposits abroad in search of better returns.

Sam Lord
15-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Daly doing well ...

DCon
15-10-2013, 05:49 PM
Chris Donoghue

#Budget2014 Minister Reilly rejects my question that he's a man without a plan. Says free GP care for all in 2016 & abolish HSE next year

disability student
15-10-2013, 06:19 PM
Why cut dole for under 25 when there are no jobs available out there except for that scam job bridge??

It's a huge consequence of FG/Lab's own making by rubber stamping FF policies & endorsed by the troika re no real jobs viable. The effects of Troika policies can be seen all over Europe... Record high young unemployment, huge debt overhang, lax regulation, stealth taxes (public taxes), economic activities sucked very dry leaving most countries very vulnerable and exposed to any future shocks.

Budget 2014 lacked any imagination nor any creativity. No mention of debt interest payments there.

Dr. FIVE
15-10-2013, 06:34 PM
Good speech from Ming,

says there may not be many jobs for yo8ung people but there are a couple of hundred they can apply for in the local elections

DCon
15-10-2013, 06:56 PM
Meanwhile, in Italy

Letta’s budget comments are crossing the wires:
Budget cuts taxes for companies by 5.6 euros over three years
Cuts taxes for workers by 5 billion euros over three years
Budget doesn’t include any cuts to health spending for the next three years

http://www.forexlive.com/blog/2013/10/15/italian-budget-cuts-taxes-for-workers-and-companies/?mobile=true

C. Flower
15-10-2013, 06:59 PM
Good speech from Ming,

says there may not be many jobs for yo8ung people but there are a couple of hundred they can apply for in the local elections

I hope they take his suggestion up.

Mowl
15-10-2013, 07:05 PM
I just hope he wasn't referring to tally duties.

Dr. FIVE
15-10-2013, 07:05 PM
truth, he listed number of seats in each constituency as potential work. Didn't go down well :) Says don't expect FF or "fascist to the core" FG to do anything for you.

Says Labour youth have already put out a statement condemning the budget

disability student
15-10-2013, 07:07 PM
truth, he listed number of seats in each constituency as potential work. Didn't go down well :) Says don't expect FF or "fascist to the core" FG to do anything for you.

Nice ring to the truth eh? :)

C. Flower
15-10-2013, 07:08 PM

A left Youth Block in the local elections is something a lot of people would work for.

C. Flower
15-10-2013, 07:49 PM
It is a clever show. The budget is deflationary, and takes billions out of the economy, but there is a scatter effect of goodies to distract.

Apjp
15-10-2013, 10:22 PM

I hope raheny is over 26 for his own sake. me father saying medical card thresholds lowered but no specific details on that yet.

morticia
15-10-2013, 10:22 PM
Forgive me but would I be wrong in saying the dole cuts to young people don't bother ya? I suppose we are all class based at the end of the day. Marx was right there

How much they bother me will depend on how many more people they get back to work with the stimulus packages. I'm also guessing that most unemployed under 25s are living with Mum and Dad, and therefore don't need as much cash as an unemployed couple with 3-4 small children to support. It was also my understanding that you got more money if in education or training....I know the internships aren't great, but better that than rotting on the sofa, surely? Finally, I emigrated for 10 years myself, did me loads of good and I'd actually recommend it as a good way of getting work experience....

Apjp
15-10-2013, 10:25 PM
Good speech from Ming,

you know he ain't bloody wrong there. Can't wait for the bloodbath next summer. Please god

Apjp
15-10-2013, 10:27 PM
How much they bother me will depend on how many more people they get back to work with the stimulus packages. I'm also guessing that most unemployed under 25s are living with Mum and Dad, and therefore don't need as much cash as an unemployed couple with 3-4 small children to support. It was also my understanding that you got more money if in education or training....I know the internships aren't great, but better that than rotting on the sofa, surely? Finally, I emigrated for 10 years myself, did me loads of good and I'd actually recommend it as a good way of getting work experience....

that's the most ageist rightwing comment ive seen here for a while.

morticia
15-10-2013, 10:38 PM
Why do you say that?? You've travelled yourself and from what you say, it's been a positive experience too. I would have thought if work can be found anywhere, find it. It's what I did.

As for the cuts, as I said before, I'd prefer if they didn't. But if they're not prepared to stand up to the ECB with the other peripherals, they have to. And the worst thing they could have done is make the mortgage problem worse. We can't recap the banks again.

Tell me, what would you have cut in their place??

RaggedTrousers
15-10-2013, 11:02 PM
Yes, the payment goes up to €160 for young people who engage in training or education, of which should be guaranteed after 4 months.

In terms of figures, about one third of young people who sign on do so for less than 4 months, they move on to jobs, training, internships or emigrate Of the rest, a further third leave before a year. This measure is really aimed at those drifting towards, or already long term or structurally unemployed. A large number of whom have never worked.

Emigration accounts for less than 7% of young people leaving the live revised (that we know of of course) and we know also that there is a largish cohort of young people who are not signing.

Apjp
15-10-2013, 11:22 PM
Why do you say that?? You've travelled yourself and from what you say, it's been a positive experience too. I would have thought if work can be found anywhere, find it. It's what I did.

As for the cuts, as I said before, I'd prefer if they didn't. But if they're not prepared to stand up to the ECB with the other peripherals, they have to. And the worst thing they could have done is make the mortgage problem worse. We can't recap the banks again.

Tell me, what would you have cut in their place??

I would have raised income taxes and not cut the dole anyways. Progressive societies like France and Denmark charge higher tax for high earners. I have never been without work ok. I will even knock doors to get by and have done. My issue is pushing people further into poverty just cos of their age. Sorry to be an inconvenience but while im here im going to do what I can to oppose this wingnut horsethievery.

Whether I spend another summer working abroad or like my weekends away every year aint the point.

Im here for the foreseeable future and if they are going to do this im going to do what I can to oppose it whether thats speaking out canvassing etc or even running locally. Im sick of it and if we just all roll over and feck off itll be your kids next so this you'll be grand attitude has to go. Ming is right. Young people better get political if they want to stay here and change things even locally. im going to that left forum thing. a good start.

C. Flower
15-10-2013, 11:26 PM
Good points on the budget being made on the Vincent Browne show which is coming from the protests in Dublin.

Holly
16-10-2013, 12:05 AM
Michael Noonan showed a brazen disregard for unemployed youth with his remark that implied the only young people without jobs are lazy freeloaders. Having presided over mass emigration, he insults those who have not yet left.

C. Flower
16-10-2013, 12:35 AM
A pro-cuts press release from an economist Senator.

Press Release, Tuesday 15 October 2013

Senator Sean D. Barrett reacts to Budget 2014

Independent Senator and economist Sean Barrett has a number of reservations regarding Budget 2014. The retention of 9% tourism VAT and the abolition of air travel tax are both to be welcomed as boosts to the economy.

However, easing off of cuts at 2.5 instead of 3.1bn is probably not worth it in the long-term. The country is depending on an increase in growth and this adjustment will not reduce the debt burden. The government will be relying heavily on savings made through the Haddington Road agreement and better government procurement. Savings have not been made within the main government departments: staff has barely been reduced in the departments of an Taoiseach, Finance and Public Expenditure

The introduction of free healthcare to under-fives, while it will come as a relief to many families, will be surplus to requirement for many others. This scheme does not represent a feasible or equitable distribution of health cover. It will be a funding strain on GPs in catchment areas with young families.

The Taxi and Bus Regulation Bill which is to be debated in the Seanad today (16 October) is regressive: it will subsidise public transport without competitive tendering, reducing competition in transport at a time when it is most needed.

We need to have as much work as possible to convince the markets that we are serious about re-entry into the bond markets. We are not doing that lowering the cuts figure. We are still borrowing out into 2018 and the Fiscal Compact Treaty will mean that even if growth returns that revenues will be absorbed by the need to pay down our debt from its current high of 120% of GDP to 60% of GDP. Finally, Ireland does not have a working banking system and more needs to done to ensure that entrepreneurship is encouraged by our banks

Sean is the current Senior Lecturer in the Economics Department of Trinity College and has enjoyed a distinguished career in academic circles along with holding high-ranking positions outside of the college, many of which have had a direct effect on transport policy and the tourism industry of Ireland.

Greengoddess
16-10-2013, 12:57 PM
This budget will may turn out to be the best political stroke ever. Until next year. AFTER the elections. At which point the voters will be landed with a further 2billion cuts.
The gov will have factored in the fact that people under 26 don't vote in large numbers.

C. Flower
16-10-2013, 01:03 PM
This budget will may turn out to be the best political stroke ever. Until next year. AFTER the elections. At which point the voters will be landed with a further 2billion cuts.
The gov will have factored in the fact that people under 26 don't vote in large numbers.

True. Perhaps we should be using the slogan "Vote before the boat"

Dr. FIVE
19-10-2013, 02:01 AM
The figures are extraordinarily precise – as imaginary numbers often neatly are.

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/readme/damien-kiberd-budget-2014-analysis-1131669-Oct2013/

PaddyJoe
19-10-2013, 02:13 AM
The figures are extraordinarily precise – as imaginary numbers often neatly are.

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/readme/damien-kiberd-budget-2014-analysis-1131669-Oct2013/
Indeed. The most blatant example is the 113 million figure to be saved on a review of medical cards. Reilly and the HSE claim that this figure was sprung on them last Sunday and that its based on a study by PWC 18 months ago which concluded that something between 60 and 200 million could potentially be saved on medical cards.
Wasn't it only a few months back that the 'fantasy economics' tag was being used to beat the opposition around the ring?

DCon
19-10-2013, 07:51 AM
Economist article is quite rosy

Mr Noonan, introducing the latest (eighth) austerity budget, has eased the burden of adjustment marginally, providing some relief to the public while throwing a political lifeline to Fine Gael’s junior partner.

How well placed is the Irish economy to complete a successful and durable exit from its bail-out programme? The indicators are encouraging. Since 2010 the government has met all the targets set by the troika of international lenders. Yields on ten-year Irish sovereign bonds have fallen below 4%, and Ireland has accumulated substantial cash balances, some €25 billion, as a backstop.

The comments less so

Note that Irish per capita GDP is much higher than that of Germany. How this can be? With 13% unemployment, this cannot be happening. The truth is that Irish GDP includes bogus tax-heaven business activity numbers used by multinationals to dodge business taxes. Genuine Irish GDP is much smaller than the official figure.
What does this mean for Ireland? Actual public debt ratio may reach 200% GDP. Budget defict is over 10% GDP. That's because Ireland has blackholes!

http://www.economist.com/news/europe/21588110-government-end-economic-emergency-sight-eighth-austerity-budget?fsrc=scn/tw_ec/the_eighth_austerity_budget

C. Flower
19-10-2013, 08:36 AM
Economist article is quite rosy

The comments less so

http://www.economist.com/news/europe/21588110-government-end-economic-emergency-sight-eighth-austerity-budget?fsrc=scn/tw_ec/the_eighth_austerity_budget

The Government painting "go faster" stripes on the economy ? Nice.

Other points, that Ireland is still running a deficit over 7%, has a cost of living still 12% above the European average, and already public debt is at 116% of GDP. And of course austerity shrinks the size of the economy, but not the debt it is carrying.

The gulf between the haves and have-nots is becoming outrageous, which is why they had to pull up the drawbridge at the Dail on budget day.

DCon
19-10-2013, 09:29 AM
Labour screwed Jimmy say FG

FINE Gael TDs are blaming Labour ministers for Health Minister James Reilly getting "screwed over" in the Budget.

Another Fine Gael cabinet minister said of Dr Reilly: "Joan has f***ed him over and Howlin has f***ed him over."

http://www.independent.ie/business/budget/reilly-was-screwed-over-by-labour-claim-fine-gael-tds-29667345.html

C. Flower
19-10-2013, 10:09 AM

http://www.independent.ie/business/budget/reilly-was-screwed-over-by-labour-claim-fine-gael-tds-29667345.html

It is alarming to realise that the budget is just a few broad Departmental targets for cuts, and it is not apparent whether any work has been done on how best to make the cuts they are making.

"
The HSE service plan in 20 days might be scary and the medical card review is potentially dynamite. I'm not James's biggest fan but he was screwed over."

They don't have any study or costings on the medical card cuts - all guesswork.

C. Flower
19-10-2013, 10:52 AM
IBEC's view of the budget - generally happy. But then IBEC is part of "Partnership"

http://www.ibec.ie/IBEC/Press/PressPublicationsdoclib3.nsf/vPages/Newsroom~budget-2014-what-it-means-for-business-16-10-2013/$file/Ibec+analysis+of+Budget+2014.pdf

Apjp
19-10-2013, 11:23 AM

Disturbing that james reilly is less eager to take health care away from poor and old people than the neo Labour party. Maybe not surprising given how far right of fg and the troika they really have shifted.

Apjp
19-10-2013, 11:26 AM
Very convenient for Labour too to give Reilly and the HSE more bad press. I don't often take their side but I think Reilly and the hse know this will be impossible to implement and reilly knows many people in Balbriggan are not as well off as those in Skerries so he would do well to thread carefully here. More a case of James knowing he needs tangible results to protect services get re elected and not just the odd stroke.

Dr. FIVE
19-10-2013, 05:49 PM
The Government painting "go faster" stripes on the economy ? Nice.

http://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2013-03-05a.211#g252

I listened to President Clinton when he visited two years ago when he made the point that the historical fact about every country that goes through a recession is that when it is over, it takes at least ten years to make that benefit filter down to people on the ground in the context of creating jobs. He stated the challenge for Ireland was to short-circuit that and to prove it can have real benefit from exiting a programme, restoring its public finances and getting its economy back to good health but to focus on the creation of jobs and not to have a so-called jobless recovery.

My point was that former President Clinton said that the challenge for Ireland was to short-circuit what has happened in most other places.

Remember the last time we thought we could "short-circuit" what happened elsewhere? If Clinton says it it must be true eh

Dr. FIVE
19-10-2013, 08:44 PM
Could do worse than take six minutes from Michael D on minimum wage in 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-vCJQ5lLPk&feature=youtu.be&t=3m50s

The minimum wage is used as a standard for other wages in other sectors of the economy. The reduction in the minimum wage can be used as a battering ram against all sectors. Once it goes down, everyone else's wages along the scale will come down too. That is why those on middle incomes should stand with those dependent on the minimum wage. If the Government goes after those dependent on the minimum wage this week, next week it will certainly go after the middle-income earners.

The very last people the Government will ever go after, however, are the non-executive directors, the dining club members. These are the people who put the poison from their own little companies into the Financial Regulator's office, the Central Bank and the Department of Finance. They now sit around with their failed version of the economy for which generations will pay.

It is time for a debate on restoring the economy and, more important, putting ethics back into society. It is time we linked the economy to society to insist no child ever goes hungry, that no woman on the minimum wage must worry about how she will compensate for the school trip she promised her child but was forced to cancel because it was too dear. It must be a society in which a father is never forced to go home without anything to offer his children. Those are the conditions of the poor charted by Sean O'Casey. That was Sean O'Casey's Ireland. He, of course, was unlike the Seanie who plays golf with other notables and who could get a public servant to say to him, Right on Seanie. Fair play to you

mighty stuff

C. Flower
19-10-2013, 09:07 PM
http://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2013-03-05a.211#g252

Remember the last time we thought we could "short-circuit" what happened elsewhere? If Clinton says it it must be true eh

Clinton's "recovery" was part of the shift to a low wage economy in the US, where it is common now for people to be trying to work two jobs.

Women raising families, working two jobs, and stil barely able to get by. Low wages of course = higher profits so its not all pain.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/economy/story/2011-12-16/multiple-jobs/52011602/1

Dr. FIVE
19-10-2013, 09:47 PM
indeed

DCon
20-10-2013, 09:36 AM
Reilly set for a promotion to Europe

Such is Dr Reilly's low standing, even among his own party, that speculation is rising in government circles that he could be named as Ireland's next EU Commissioner.

Not sure Big Phil would want that though

The political damage sustained by Dr Reilly has led his name to enter the frame alongside current favourites for the post, Environment Minister Phil Hogan and Tanaiste Eamon Gilmore.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ministers-fight-like-cats-and-dogs-after-the-budget-29674253.html

DCon
26-10-2013, 08:17 AM
Well played lads, well played

Senior public servants are being allowed to build up a much larger pension under complicated changes in the Budget that have gone unnoticed.

The changes mean senior civil and public servants, like judges and county managers, who retire in the next five years will able to retire on pensions of up to €115,000 a year.

Ordinary workers will have a limit of half of this imposed on the size of pensions they can get to qualify under new tax rules. They will have to pay a 'super tax' of 70pc for pensions over €60,000.

http://www.independent.ie/business/budget/judges-and-politicians-to-keep-bumper-pension-pots-29701816.html