PDA

View Full Version : Resisting eviction in Clare

Binn Beal
05-07-2013, 12:40 PM
I caught the tail-end of an item on Newstalk today where a man, called John Ryan was 'sitting in' in his house in some ghost estate in Clare. Does anyone know of this case or can some techie wizard help me find the link that would let me replay it on the Newstalk website?

PaddyJoe
05-07-2013, 02:36 PM
I caught the tail-end of an item on Newstalk today where a man, called John Ryan was 'sitting in' in his house in some ghost estate in Clare. Does anyone know of this case or can some techie wizard help me find the link that would let me replay it on the Newstalk website?
Is this the one?

A man forced to “break into” his own home in a ghost estate has hit out at greedy bankers, saying: “I’ve had enough”.Father-of-four John Ryan, 68, climbed in the window of the four bedroomed home in Killaloe, Co Clare he bought for €315,000 seven years ago as part of his long-running battle to live in the house.
The businessman’s son, John Jr, and married couple Michelle Burke and William Buck have been unable to move into their homes in the Ard Deirge estate in Killaloe after KPMG took possession of the estate.
Allied Irish Bank (AIB) appointed the firm as receivers.
Grand-father of seven, Mr Ryan said: “I’ve had enough. I couldn’t take it any longer. I was at the end of my tether”.
Mr Ryan said that he continues to pay €2,700 to Ulster Bank every quarter for a €270,000 bridging loan he took out to purchase the home.
He said: “Myself and my wife, Breda don’t need this worry morning, noon and night. It has been a terrible strain on both of us.
“This whole thing has been very, very expensive for us and it has to come to an end.”
http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/man-forced-break-ghost-estate-2026728

Binn Beal
05-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Thanks PJ. Yeah, that's the guy. If he succeeds, there's going to be a rush to follow him. I wonder if he needs any help.
Might drive over that way and see if I can find the house. Maybe the Clare People will have a contact.