PDA

View Full Version : Three habitable planets discovered ...

Sam Lord
26-06-2013, 02:58 PM
And only 22 light years away.

The habitable zone of a nearby star is filled to the brim with planets that could support alien life, scientists announced today (June 25).

An international team of scientists found three potentially habitable planets around the star Gliese 667C, a star 22 light-years from Earth that is orbited by at least six planets, and possibly as many as seven, researchers said. The three planet contenders for alien life are in the star's "habitable zone" the temperature region around the star where liquid water could exist. Gliese 667C is part of a three-star system, so the planets could see three suns in their daytime skies.

http://weather.yahoo.com/found-3-super-earth-planets-could-support-alien-144926352.html

fluffybiscuits
26-06-2013, 03:05 PM
Could potential life be found on such planets? A lot of the life if it did exist may be bacterial or if it was intelligent life could have evolved differently because of gravity and this in turn would affect brain size, physiology, etc.

Worthile to have a read of this too, the Drake Equation which anticipates if there is life on other planets:

http://www.setileague.org/photos/miscpix/drakeqn.jpg

The Drake equation is:

where:

R* = the average number of star formation per year in our galaxy fp = the fraction of those stars that have planets ne = the average number of planets that can potentially support life per star that has planets fl = the fraction of planets that could support life that actually develop life at some point fi = the fraction of planets with life that actually go on to develop intelligent life (civilizations) fc = the fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space L = the length of time for which such civilizations release detectable signals into space[8]

Saoirse go Deo
26-06-2013, 03:12 PM
We've enough problems on Earth without looking for others... always thought it was stupid sending out broadcasts looking for intelligent life, or sending out satellites coupled with instructions on where to find us. If they are much more advanced they could conceivably look at us as we look at animals and be treated accordingly. Given our experiences with intelligent life here on earth it is staggeringly naive to assume that all other kinds will be benevolent.

Sam Lord
26-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Don't worry SDG. The distances are too vast for us to be troubling each other. But I think greater knowledge of the universe is a worthy pursuit.

fluffybiscuits
26-06-2013, 03:29 PM
We've enough problems on Earth without looking for others... always thought it was stupid sending out broadcasts looking for intelligent life, or sending out satellites coupled with instructions on where to find us. If they are much more advanced they could conceivably look at us as we look at animals and be treated accordingly. Given our experiences with intelligent life here on earth it is staggeringly naive to assume that all other kinds will be benevolent.

Stephen Hawking said something similar to what you said a few months ago. By transmitting messages we are or could attract the wrong sort of attention and attract attention of the wrong sorts (i.e. hostile aliens). Our techology may not be compatible with theirs either way, how they transmit information could be entirely different from our own so they may not even be searching for our frquencies on the radio spectrum. We all have to take a risk though. The movie contact is a great example of what potentially could happen, sending us instructions to see if we understand them and then putting them together, if we have the correct tools then we can interpret what they are saying, contact them and they know that we are of sufficient intelligence and thus must be worthwhile contacting. Take the risk, throw a dice and see what happens...

fluffybiscuits
26-06-2013, 03:30 PM
Don't worry SDG. The distances are too vast for us to be troubling each other. But I think greater knowledge of the universe is a worthy pursuit.

too vast for us but for them?

Richardbouvet
26-06-2013, 04:36 PM
Fluffy, surely everyone knows that we will not be contacted by anyone from these M class planets until and unless they see our warp signature? Until then, they are bound by the Prime Directive not to reveal themselves.

fluffybiscuits
26-06-2013, 04:54 PM
Fluffy, surely everyone knows that we will not be contacted by anyone from these M class planets until and unless they see our warp signature? Until then, they are bound by the Prime Directive not to reveal themselves.

Its a pain in the vulcans...now stick that up your Ferengi! ;)

Shaadi
26-06-2013, 09:49 PM
We've enough problems on Earth without looking for others... always thought it was stupid sending out broadcasts looking for intelligent life, or sending out satellites coupled with instructions on where to find us. If they are much more advanced they could conceivably look at us as we look at animals and be treated accordingly. Given our experiences with intelligent life here on earth it is staggeringly naive to assume that all other kinds will be benevolent.I can definitely see where you're coming from. Alien civilisation takes a look at an aggressive destructive and rapidly technologically advancing species and then smites the potentially deadly bug before it gets to them.

More likely we'll take ourselves out before anything else goes to the bother of doing it.

Sam Lord
27-06-2013, 12:31 AM
too vast for us but for them?

Yes.

fluffybiscuits
27-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Yes.

And your basis for that is?...

fluffybiscuits
27-06-2013, 11:55 AM
I can definitely see where you're coming from. Alien civilisation takes a look at an aggressive destructive and rapidly technologically advancing species and then smites the potentially deadly bug before it gets to them.

More likely we'll take ourselves out before anything else goes to the bother of doing it.

If they were to see us first would that not indicate that they are definitively more advanced than we are and therefore more likely to ignore us?

Greengoddess
27-06-2013, 12:36 PM
I could run in an election there instead. First contact would certainly out manners on the Troika! I am a sifi fan like my father . We spent lots of time reading Asimov etc. he was eccentric too! Agree maybe not look for reptiles.

Greengoddess
27-06-2013, 12:38 PM
Some have suggested that experiments with the likes of dark matter in particle accelerators could attract attention more then other methods.

fluffybiscuits
27-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Some have suggested that experiments with the likes of dark matter in particle accelerators could attract attention more then other methods.

Sounds very Star Trek First Contact - ish ;)

Sam Lord
27-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Some have suggested that experiments with the likes of dark matter .....

Like luminiferous aether it does not exist ....

fluffybiscuits
27-06-2013, 04:31 PM
Like luminiferous aether it does not exist ....

Are you a physicist? :)

Saoirse go Deo
27-06-2013, 06:23 PM
The truth is out there

Count Bobulescu
27-06-2013, 07:52 PM
I could run in an election there instead. First contact would certainly out manners on the Troika! I am a sifi fan like my father . We spent lots of time reading Asimov etc. he was eccentric too! Agree maybe not look for reptiles.
Word is, Ryanair to start offering flights (seasonal) next year. Order your posters now.

fluffybiscuits
28-06-2013, 01:00 PM
Word is, Ryanair to start offering flights (seasonal) next year. Order your posters now.

Fly to Mars (Pluto)...