PDA

View Full Version : Is there British drones in Irish airspace?

fluffybiscuits
10-06-2013, 05:05 PM
http://podcastireland-irishblog.blogspot.ie/2013/06/british-killer-drones-fly-in-irish-sky.html

While British Parliament Buildings at Stormont in British Occupied Ireland have round the clock guards and thousands of British paramilitary operatives, backed up by 3,600 specially secretly trained police from England, patrolling the streets of Ireland, ahead of the G8 Summit at Lough Erne Resort in Co Fermanagh, British Occupied Ireland on June 17 and 18, it has come as a shock to many Irish citizens to see British drones regularly flying in Irish airspace recently.

Citizens in the Irish republic are angry, that their airspace has been invaded by British drones and don’t want a ‘Big Brother’ eye-in-the-sky, with the capacity to do a virtual ‘strip search’ of their lives from 1,500′ up, trolling around Irish skies with unregulated impunity.This is a very real potential “on-demand” intrusion into their Irish lives on all parts f Ireland by the British and the shredding of their few remaining Irish constitutional rights.

Found this via indymedia....its not something I have heard about. Related to the G8 perhaps?

barrym
10-06-2013, 05:10 PM
Yes of course, Cameron, Hague, and countless others, filling our airspace whenever RTE has a void..... as well as Irish drones, by the thousand.

Sam Lord
10-06-2013, 05:15 PM
If it is more than one drone it is plural. In which case you use "are" as opposed to "is".

Trow
10-06-2013, 07:10 PM
Related to the G8 perhaps?

Quote....Police will deploy unmanned aerial drones as part of the security operation for this year's G8 in Co Fermanagh, it has been confirmed. unquote.
Story and video here.... http://www.u.tv/news/PSNI-spy-drones-get-green-light/65aa1d62-d920-42b8-9781-b34c09483b04

Little doubt there will be North/South co-operation as part of an all Island security operation.

fluffybiscuits
10-06-2013, 10:41 PM
If it is more than one drone it is plural. In which case you use "are" as opposed to "is".

As endearing as ever Sam thank you for that ... thankfully I have no expectations of you which can only be a good thing I suppose :)

Hugs !

fluffybiscuits
10-06-2013, 10:43 PM
Quote....Police will deploy unmanned aerial drones as part of the security operation for this year's G8 in Co Fermanagh, it has been confirmed. unquote.
Story and video here.... http://www.u.tv/news/PSNI-spy-drones-get-green-light/65aa1d62-d920-42b8-9781-b34c09483b04

Little doubt there will be North/South co-operation as part of an all Island security operation.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/drones-to-work-with-8000-police-at-northern-ireland-g8-summit-29190426.html

the Irish police will be deploying its own resources to secure relevant locations south of the border, such as hotels and protest venues, senior PSNI officers explained.

Comes as no surprise...

Simonsays
11-06-2013, 01:39 AM
Military UAVs can only be used in Irish air space with permission because of the amount of traffic that uses Irish space, both the lower civilian air space and the higher military air space. Non-military UAVs can be flown by other agencies, for example, in monitoring environmental destruction, protecting isolated historical sites from being vandalised, monitoring illegal bog cutting, searching for illegal poaching, or in policing, but again permission is needed to ensure manned aircraft's safety. Even where UAVs are below normal flying level they may cause hazards where a manned flight has for technical or other reasons to drop out of normal flight level. Airspace is pretty much like a series of motorways with lanes and all aircraft have to keep to them to minimise the chance of collision. So you cannot simply launch something in the air without clearance. People need to know where everything else. That wouldn't be the same problem in places like Afghanistan but over Europe the skies are pretty crowded, particularly since low cost airlines entered the market. In fact Irish air space is almost too crowded. Manned military aircraft fly at levels above civilian aircraft.

barrym
11-06-2013, 09:06 AM
Sounds terribly serious, do you have a source? I very much doubts that drones/uavs or whatever file flightplans like 'ordinary' flights. Normally the garda helicopter and air corps aircraft file 'information' on their projected route/area of operations and their flight level, so that they and other traffic can keep out of one another's way. Regular flights fly specific routings and I'd say that any of them near Enniskillen in the next few weeks will be avoided.

For example, Obama's AF1 will have and always has a security zone around it of about 100nm, no other aircraft allowed, even local military, unless needed. I assume Putin et al have the same cordon sanitaire.

B

fluffybiscuits
11-06-2013, 01:35 PM
Sounds terribly serious, do you have a source? I very much doubts that drones/uavs or whatever file flightplans like 'ordinary' flights. Normally the garda helicopter and air corps aircraft file 'information' on their projected route/area of operations and their flight level, so that they and other traffic can keep out of one another's way. Regular flights fly specific routings and I'd say that any of them near Enniskillen in the next few weeks will be avoided.

For example, Obama's AF1 will have and always has a security zone around it of about 100nm, no other aircraft allowed, even local military, unless needed. I assume Putin et al have the same cordon sanitaire.

B

Where would I get such information? Irish Aviation Authority?

barrym
11-06-2013, 04:30 PM
Where would I get such information? Irish Aviation Authority?

Maybe, but I would have doubts that what they might say is actually translated into 'policy' in the circumstances of something like G8. Much more likely that DofFA had meetings with F&C in London long before the announcement and as usual their tummy's were tickled. All the IAA's rules will have gone out the window if Downing St wanted something. Independent Republic me ar$e.

Trow
11-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Flight restrictions will be in place for 3 days surrounding the G8.

Quote...The skies above Belfast, Lough Erne and the corridor in between will be subject to strict aircraft restrictions as security measures are ramped up to protect the world leaders flying into Northern Ireland. unquote.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/g8-summit/northern-ireland-airspace-to-be-restricted-during-g8-29328895.html

I'm darned sure the same will be true at and around Co's Monaghan and Donegal.

Trow
11-06-2013, 04:57 PM
Look what i found.....
Quote..Temporary Restricted Area (TRA) within the sovereign airspace of Ireland.
16th to 18th June 2013 inclusive.
1 Introduction.
The Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport acceding to a request from The Department of Justice
and Equality, has directed the Irish Aviation Authority to give effect by means of an airspace
direction to any requests made by The Department of Justice and Equality in relation to the
establishment of temporary prohibitions and/or restrictions in areas of Irish sovereign airspace
associated with the meeting of the G8 Summit between 16th and 18th of June 2013 inclusive.
Following receipt of such request, the IAA has issued a direction to establish an area of temporary
restricted airspace (TRA) within which flight restrictions shall apply as detailed below.
2 Temporary Restricted Area (TRA)
Lateral limits: The sovereign airspace of Ireland contained within 17 nm radius of 542354N
0074136W (i.e. over parts of Counties Cavan, Donegal and Leitrim)
Vertical limits: Surface to FL100.
Duration: 1700hrs UTTC on the 16th June 2013 to 2259hrs UTC on the 18th June 2013
inclusive. unquote.
There's more... https://www.iaa.ie/media/130607FinalwebsiteFlightRestrictionNoticev1.0andch art1.pdf

Restricted flights... 4.1.2 Any aircraft specifically authorised by the controlling officer, Security and Northern Ireland
Division of the Department of Justice and Equality.
4.2. Other Flights than those listed at 4.1.
4.2.1 All other aircraft or flights are not permitted unless with the authorisation of the controlling
officer, Security and Northern Ireland Division of the Department of Justice and Equality.
For requests contact the Flight Operations Department of the IAA as per paragraph 5 below. unquote.

You can see at once the mention of ''Security and Northern Ireland Department of Justice and Equality.''
Who's actually calling the shots and what flights are being permitted? Drones?

fluffybiscuits
11-06-2013, 04:58 PM
Look what i found.....
Quote..Temporary Restricted Area (TRA) within the sovereign airspace of Ireland.
16th to 18th June 2013 inclusive.
1 Introduction.
The Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport acceding to a request from The Department of Justice
and Equality, has directed the Irish Aviation Authority to give effect by means of an airspace
direction to any requests made by The Department of Justice and Equality in relation to the
establishment of temporary prohibitions and/or restrictions in areas of Irish sovereign airspace
associated with the meeting of the G8 Summit between 16th and 18th of June 2013 inclusive.
Following receipt of such request, the IAA has issued a direction to establish an area of temporary
restricted airspace (TRA) within which flight restrictions shall apply as detailed below.
2 Temporary Restricted Area (TRA)
Lateral limits: The sovereign airspace of Ireland contained within 17 nm radius of 542354N
0074136W (i.e. over parts of Counties Cavan, Donegal and Leitrim)
Vertical limits: Surface to FL100.
Duration: 1700hrs UTTC on the 16th June 2013 to 2259hrs UTC on the 18th June 2013
inclusive. unquote.
There's more... https://www.iaa.ie/media/130607FinalwebsiteFlightRestrictionNoticev1.0andch art1.pdf

Thank you for that, so I wasnt imagining that...

Trow
11-06-2013, 05:06 PM
Thank you for that, so I wasnt imagining that...

Nope....
Quote..Warning
All aircraft flying within the confines of the TRA in contravention of the flight
restrictions may be subject to interception or interdiction by the Defence Forces. unquote.
https://www.iaa.ie/media/130607FinalwebsiteFlightRestrictionNoticev1.0andch art1.pdf

Have you heard the Nena song, 99 red balloons? Imagine that.:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14IRDDnEPR4